Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Andriyko
it is interesting that you live in the real world when it comes to asking something from your employer, but there is another, magical, world where airlines owe their passengers everything.
I don't think I'm asking for everything. I'm asking for something that has been the norm for at least 15 years, and which other oneworld (and non-oneworld) airlines continue to provide. Yes people will say that we live in a different world now where there's BoB, but we are talking about the nuts and bolts of basic aviation transport - connecting between flights, and how airlines can HELP customers.

Again, I don’t like the policy myself but if I wanted to complain about not being able to check the bags through I would go back to my employer that caused the need to change travel plans (or not if I was mindful repercussions) rather than complain about an airline that had nothing to do with it but is an easy target for complains.
Let's see how that conversation will go:

Me: Sorry, I have to go back a day early because the airline won't through check my luggage to my holiday.
Boss: Ummmmm. That is the most ridiculous reason I've heard for you to cut short a work trip.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL

Yes, I would agree with you, which is why I don’t believe it when some people say how easy it is for them to travel in F or J and how silly it is for other people to agree to travel in Y for work.

it is interesting that you live in the real world when it comes to asking something from your employer, but there is another, magical, world where airlines owe their passengers everything. Again, I don’t like the policy myself but if I wanted to complain about not being able to check the bags through I would go back to my employer that caused the need to change travel plans (or not if I was mindful repercussions) rather than complain about an airline that had nothing to do with it but is an easy target for complains.
look, I agree if the employer causes plans to be changed the employer picks up the tab. Have seen it many times.

but it appears you do not think this is a pathetic policy imposed as part of the BA LCC vision. It affects a small but significant number of pax - I personally know 2 families who travel transcon J who were so p1ssed off with different incidents that they will now not fly with BA.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Does anyone have any recent experience of Qantas through checking to a BA flight?

Have an upcoming MEL-SYD-LHR (separate tickets, tho both redemptions) and from what I read here previously, was hopeful to through check the bags to save having to go Landside and then wait for the BA check-in to open.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Does anyone have any recent experience of Qantas through checking to a BA flight?

Have an upcoming MEL-SYD-LHR (separate tickets, tho both redemptions) and from what I read here previously, was hopeful to through check the bags to save having to go Landside and then wait for the BA check-in to open.
Check this thread for links to QF policy: QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

But the answer to your question is that they will only check through if it is a combination of revenue and award bookings. As yours are both awards, according to their policy they won't check through.
MHendo84 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
People are more than happy to have a go at BA for not accommodating their needs rather than go to the source of the problem, the employer.
It's some random employer's fault that BA has decided to stop checking through baggage despite that the practice was the industry standard less than three years ago? I guess you'll truly hear anything on this forum in the defense of BA.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
One of my current little frustrations is that I cannot actually book a through ticket on SQ F two/from from my local airports even if I telephoned SQ, and I have so far not found a travel agent that can price up a through-ticket. They (VA) won't through-check bags to SQ on separate tickets. For that inconvenience I sometimes have to overnight for 'safety'.
I'm having the same issue now as I want to fly ANA F/J TPAC to/from USA but need to connect domestically and want to do so on AA (as UA will result in 4hr+ layovers). I can't find a TA who can do it on one ticket - and I hate using TAs anyway.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but I gather that this is a much more glaring problem for those who live in non-hubs as opposed to those who live in fortress hubs, and perhaps that (and the usual pro-BA-ness of this forum) is why some posters here are so arrogantly dismissive. From my home airport, I have to connect going anywhere I go TPAC and being restricted to one alliance, one carrier, or one ticket severely limits my choices as a consumer. Previously, I could choose based on preference of carrier, routings, and timings. Not being able to do so devalues the travel experience.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I understand and share many people’s frustration at not through checking of luggage. .

i appreciate the annoyance caused by the change in policy and particularly in the small number of people who are travelling on separate tickets for legitimate reasons. Equally I appreciate that many more use separate tickets for fare reduction for which this we are almost all part responsibility from this forum. The vast majority of passengers are unaffecte travelling on P2P.

i do hope sometime that BA reverses the decision and perhaps with the modern aviation industry a new convention is needed to protect consumers as a whole; but in the meantime it is clear what the rules currently are and I book my travel and manage the risk accordingly.

incidentally I certainly couldn’t describe this forum as pro-BA, I tend to think of it as on the whole balanced, even if individual threads get tipped one way or the other by enthusiastic posters. One can get frustrated when they are people with opposing views to yourself and perceive these are the more vocal voice, but this is often just perception and IMHO having your views challenged can be healthy.
adrianlondon and JayeJ like this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 3, 2018 at 9:57 pm Reason: Typo correction
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by navylad
incidentally I certainly couldn’t describe this forum as pro-BA, I tend to think of it as on the whole balanced, even if individual threads get tipped one way or the other by enthusiastic posters. One can get frustrated when they are people with opposing views to yourself and perceive these are the more vocal voice, but this is often just perception and IMHO having your views challenged can be healthy.
In the interests of respect for the FT community, I have no intent to engage anyone on an overly personal level here - but the number and intensity of staunch BA defenders on this forum is no secret. I mean, when people make jokes about it on other forums...

I also have no problems with having my view challenged - I wouldn't post on a public discussion board if I did. However, in order to be constructive, such challenges shouldn't be based on negative presumptions about my character or intent rather than actual facts or reality.

Last edited by gengar; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by simons1
Bit like purchasing bed & breakfast and expecting full board.
I think a far more appropriate comparison to stick to your hotel metaphor is a case whereby booking from 31/12 to 2/1 is priced at £200/night whilst if you book separately the first night is indeed charged at £200 but the second comes down to £100, or alternatively, the system returns no result when you try to book two nights whilst it lets you book them one by one in the same room category (something which has happened to me multiple times actually!).

If you then book them separately either because it is the only way, or to save £100, it is absolutely true that technically, the hotel can ask you to pack and check out at 12 on the 1st then check in again and get a different room at 4pm. It is equally true that most hotels would not do that and that when you explain the situation at check in, they will effectively allow you to keep your room and treat your stay as continuous.

Thus, when you find a hotel that does not and insists that you check out and check in, even if you know that they are technically within their rights, you could still be forgiven for considering their attitude petty and vindicative.

I have no horse in that race as I don’t tend to check in luggage anyway, but regardless of what one thinks of through check in on separate careers/PNRs including within OW which comes up with separate challenges, I find the refusal to through check on BA-BA itineraries on separate PNRs odd, counter productive (as the airline is actually charged more for O/D delivery and recheck than for transfer luggage) and, indeed, coming across as petty and vindicative.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:28 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think I'm asking for everything. I'm asking for something that has been the norm for at least 15 years, and which other oneworld (and non-oneworld) airlines continue to provide. Yes people will say that we live in a different world now where there's BoB, but we are talking about the nuts and bolts of basic aviation transport - connecting between flights, and how airlines can HELP customers.
Yes, we live in a different world. I don’t see it as a refusal to help. I have never been refused help with anything on the same ticket. It is an issue of the airline not wanting to do what the passenger did not pay for. It may seem a non issue for you but airlines surely have their commercial reasons when they don’t want to check the bags through. Again, I am not a fan of this policy either but I try to understand why the policy was introduced in the first place.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by gengar
It's some random employer's fault that BA has decided to stop checking through baggage despite that the practice was the industry standard less than three years ago? I guess you'll truly hear anything on this forum in the defense of BA.
I defend common sense rather than BA or any particular airline. I feel bad for airlines that have to put up with unreasonable demands of some of their passengers.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:10 am
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:13 am

I defend common sense rather than BA or any particular airline. I feel bad for airlines that have to put up with unreasonable demands of some of their passengers.
Hopefully IAG's billions of profits help you sleep better at night.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:16 am

I don’t benefit from these profits but I hope that those who are in their pensions scheme do.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see why the airline making profits should require the airline to pander to a small percentage of passengers unreasonable complaints that the airline is providing the service that was paid for and not some extra service

Originally Posted by sxc

Let's see how that conversation will go:

Me: Sorry, I have to go back a day early because the airline won't through check my luggage to my holiday.
Boss: Ummmmm. That is the most ridiculous reason I've heard for you to cut short a work trip.
This is a silly example since this would mean that all had been booked

If the person has a personal trip booked and then the company requests that the person travel, the discussion is to explain the existing travel arrangements and the impact on the new planned trip. It is one that I have done and the company has accepted meeting costs arising or working the business trip around existing plans

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:26 am
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see why the airline making profits should require the airline to pander to a small percentage of passengers unreasonable complaints that the airline is providing the service that was paid for and not some extra service
Neither do I. And I didn't ever suggest that, and you know that.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by themax
Just in case any BA decision makers are listening, there ARE some of us on this board who from time to time need to add on additional flights to existing bookings (sometimes at the last minute) and would be HAPPY to pay a fee (100 GBP or otherwise) to interline our baggage. It would be nice is this could be a FF benefit for (say, GCHs and above) but at the same time I would pay for this privilege when connecting.
They can, with the same infrastructure they have for collecting excess baggage fees anyway.

So its either unresponsiveness to customers' needs and/or differential pricing considerations that it's not done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.