Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jlb3
Just to follow up on this - I wrote a very long letter to BA about this and they called me today (a week later). I will be getting my original $175 back as a refund (not BA credit). I of course wish I could get more, but I'll take what I can get. The customer service agent said BA is getting a lot of calls and complaints about the new interlining policy.
It is good to see you get at least something back, and thank you for reporting back. But to be clear, this isn't to do with the new interlining policy, if you miss a flight on separate tickets you have never been protected on BA, and though they are something willing to be helpful this never been something that passengers could rely upon.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Given BA have not relented on this (silly) policy, it follows that it is, for them, achieving the desired effect. Either that or they're just being belligerent*.

*apologies for the use of a word which is controversial in the world of airline chatter right now!
But do we really know what constitutes "achieving the desired effect"?

Besides which, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I still believe that there could be a win-win here if only BA / OW were seek it out by considering all the options available.

This is not a binary, YES/NO, situation. It is far more complex than that, yet they still cling to this "computer says no" mentality, which simply cannot constitute the optimum solution .... for either party.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
[snip]...which simply cannot constitute the optimum solution .... for either party.
My point is, how do we know?

Perhaps they have seen an uptick in revenue from BAEC members who previously bought separate tickets/used RFS to position, etc?

Perhaps they have saved some money by not needing to get involved in the claiming/counterclaiming/compensation/runaround that can happen when bags are lost on interlined journeys?

All speculation of course, but what I mean to say is maybe, just maybe, their data mining is showing that the (silly) policy is bringing in (or saving) the pennies to make it enforcing and keeping it worthwhile.

Remember, this is the same airline that removed a flower from a toilet to save money.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
This is not a binary, YES/NO, situation. It is far more complex than that, yet they still cling to this "computer says no" mentality, which simply cannot constitute the optimum solution .... for either party.
I do not see how it could be any more a clear binary situation

either the passenger is eligible for through checked baggage or the passenger is not

The only party that I can see wanting a so called "optimum solution" would be the one that has no entitlement to the service , yets want it
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

either the passenger is eligible for through checked baggage or the passenger is not
That is binary, but I don't think that's what NicholasMAN was referring to.

The question of whether it is better for the airline for it to offer online through-checking and/or interline through-checking across two separate tickets does not seem to me to be a simple binary question. As Virazuno says, the chances are that there have been some pros and some cons for the airline.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The only party that I can see wanting a so called "optimum solution" would be the one that has no entitlement to the service , yets want it
As Globaliser points out, you have misunderstood the context of my comment.

I was referring to BA / OW's objective (or objectives) and the numerous options relating to the achievement that objective

Its not binary because there are a number of different potential 'solutions' to whatever their objectives are.

In respect of their objective(s) its been suggested that one might be fare-related, and the other compensation-related.

Each of these can be quantified in financial terms, from the airline's point of view, and the impact of various 'solutions' could also be analysed.

I question whether all the options have been fully explored because I would have thought that they could achieve their objective(s) with a more "user-friendly" solution that doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
Adding 2nd ticket to PNR at airport/ lounge

I'm on a 241 redemption in August to KUL and would like to add an MH connection. We will be checking in bags, and would really prefer to interline the bags. On Sunday, I'm going to try the upthread advice and add the connection as a 2nd ticket within the same PNR at Heathrow. Anyone have experience doing this? Do you have thoughts if the ticket desk before security or the lounge is the best place to do it and any other tips would be helpful. Also, experiences on the service fees if it's £15 or £40? Thanks.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Waran
I'm on a 241 redemption in August to KUL and would like to add an MH connection. We will be checking in bags, and would really prefer to interline the bags. On Sunday, I'm going to try the upthread advice and add the connection as a 2nd ticket within the same PNR at Heathrow. Anyone have experience doing this? Do you have thoughts if the ticket desk before security or the lounge is the best place to do it and any other tips would be helpful. Also, experiences on the service fees if it's £15 or £40? Thanks.
I speculate that a BA ticket desk will not sell you a standalone MH ticket (and, by extension, shove it into your 241 PNR). You can try...report back and let us know.

I do know that the phone agents can book any oneworld ticket, so I may be wrong. I have used BA to book a bunch of LATAM flights, all issued on 125 stock, with not a single BA flight in the mix. I have since started using them as a oneworld TA!
Old May 3, 2017, 3:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can't add it. A 241 can only have BA flights.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can't add it. A 241 can only have BA flights.
To be clear, I'm not planning to add the connection to the same ticket. But buy a 2nd ticket with the same PNR. My corporate TA does this very regularly, 1PNR with 2 or 3 e-ticket numbers. And up thread it was suggested it may be possible to do this with the BA controlled PNR at the airport.

Virazuno- that's a good point. I didn't consider the 2nd ticket won't have a ba segment. I certainly will report back.

Would be pretty crap if BA have no way for you to check a bag through to a connection with a 2-4-1 ticket. I really hope the recent improvements will lead to them reintroducing the interline as it was.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:20 pm

To be clear, I'm not planning to add the connection to the same ticket. But buy a 2nd ticket with the same PNR. My corporate TA does this very regularly, 1PNR with 2 or 3 e-ticket numbers. And up thread it was suggested it may be possible to do this with the BA controlled PNR at the airport.

Virazuno- that's a good point. I didn't consider the 2nd ticket won't have a ba segment. I certainly will report back.

Would be pretty crap if BA have no way for you to check a bag through to a connection with a 2-4-1 ticket. I really hope the recent improvements will lead to them reintroducing the interline as it was.
Good luck getting BA to do it then.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Virazuno
I speculate that a BA ticket desk will not sell you a standalone MH ticket (and, by extension, shove it into your 241 PNR). You can try...report back and let us know.

I do know that the phone agents can book any oneworld ticket, so I may be wrong. I have used BA to book a bunch of LATAM flights, all issued on 125 stock, with not a single BA flight in the mix. I have since started using them as a oneworld TA!
My understanding was that BA policy was only to issue a 125- numbered BA stock revenue ticket if the ticket contained at least one AA/AY/BA/EI/IB/JL-numbered flight. There is no way to restrict the issuance of tickets with other carriers on a technical level though, and indeed someone here on FlyerTalk once had the BA phone desk issue them an AF flight on a BA ticket.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
My understanding was that BA policy was only to issue a 125- numbered BA stock revenue ticket if the ticket contained at least one AA/AY/BA/EI/IB/JL-numbered flight. There is no way to restrict the issuance of tickets with other carriers on a technical level though, and indeed someone here on FlyerTalk once had the BA phone desk issue them an AF flight on a BA ticket.
Tbh it can be difficult enough sometimes to convince BA to issue a ticket for an AA TATL fare even though they are part of the JBA. I think issuing a MH fare on a BA ticket on a non joint business route will be pretty much impossible in terms of finding someone at BA willing to do it.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
I recently bought a WT+ return for KUL-LHR upgraded to CW using a GUF2 for myself , partner and daughter , i called BA and asked about the purchase of a MH from Jakarta ticket to be added on , although not cheap , BA ticketed all on one PNR and also confirmed all would be refundable similar to the WT+ I purchased first .

All done via GGL line, although it took a couple of days.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum

Precisely. It is pretty crap.

BA knows that the 2-4-1 tickets are just the tip of a huge revenue iceberg of customers who pay substantial cash tickets year after year. But if you are a "regional" flyer from anywhere in the UK, or indeed connecting from anywhere in Europe, you must book the connector together with the main long-haul, or face rechecking bags at LHR. It's a major disadvantage.

All BA customers, all revenue providers - all being badly treated....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.