Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Just another follow up - Since I never received the $175 (it's been a month) I called BA back. They actually told me on second thought I need to go to AA and they would not refund me. Can you believe it!!!! Why do I have to go through AA for a BA ticket I bought on BA.com??? AA will of course do nothing for me. I will never fly BA again.

Originally Posted by jlb3
Just to follow up on this - I wrote a very long letter to BA about this and they called me today (a week later). I will be getting my original $175 back as a refund (not BA credit). I of course wish I could get more, but I'll take what I can get. The customer service agent said BA is getting a lot of calls and complaints about the new interlining policy.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jlb3
Just another follow up - Since I never received the $175 (it's been a month) I called BA back. They actually told me on second thought I need to go to AA and they would not refund me.
That's ludicrous. In this situation - and given the time that's passed - BA ought to stand by their offer regardless of whether or not it was right or wrong originally. I would suggest you insist that they do what they said they would do. I have not read your original complaint but on the face of it, that's my view. I suggest you call back and demand to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA gold
Back on revenue ticket with BA for the first time in ages (the more recent flights were redemption). One PNR but my TA must have booked two tickets, so BA won't interline onto CX at LHR.

I had forgotten I had this issue last year and it reinforces my preference for EK but was willing to give BA another shot since they seemed to have comped my gold card for another year with just over 500 TPs on it.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But I can say that in our case, it has now cost BA one short-haul sale. If BA would still through-check on two separate tickets (online not interline), on our next trip to ZA we would have bought a BA ticket CPT-JNB to transfer to a BA mainline JNB-LHR. But the timing was a little uncomfortable if the bags would not be automatically transferred, so we have tix on a slightly earlier SA instead.
I thought I might close this particular chapter with a further anecdote about the trip.

The SA cash ticket we bought was in the cheapest economy class - just over Ł100 round-trip JNB-CPT-JNB. We'd picked flights on the long-haul aircraft which SA operate on this route several times a day, because past experience on them has been good - significantly better than a 737/320-size aircraft even in economy. When I got a bid-to-upgrade invitation shortly before the flight, just for a laugh I put in the minimum-possible bid in both directions, which amounted to about Ł70 each-way including VAT. Rather to our surprise, the bids were accepted.

So for about Ł240, we did these domestics in fully lie-flat long-haul business class seats, with lounge access before both flights. Not the bargain of the century, but still pretty decent value. And we'd certainly be open to doing it again, given the greater schedule flexibility that SA inevitably offers on most domestic ZA routes.

All prompted by there being no online through-checking across separate BA-BA tickets ...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Back on revenue ticket with BA for the first time in ages (the more recent flights were redemption). One PNR but my TA must have booked two tickets, so BA won't interline onto CX at LHR.

I had forgotten I had this issue last year and it reinforces my preference for EK but was willing to give BA another shot since they seemed to have comped my gold card for another year with just over 500 TPs on it.
Ouch. I'm pretty sure most travellers including FF would expect to be able to interline within a single PNR. What a huge backwards step.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Ouch. I'm pretty sure most travellers including FF would expect to be able to interline within a single PNR. What a huge backwards step.
It's not new, it wasn't even affected by the changes raised in this thread.

A PNR is just a wrapper, which can have all sorts of stuff in it - hotels, car hire. So even going back 10 years ago if the PNR had multiple tickets in it, a travel agency speciality, then that wouldn't allow interlining, assuming the agent was clued up on these things. This being NCL you can be totally sure the agent is so clued up! If it was one ticket, one PNR that should have been fine.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not new, it wasn't even affected by the changes raised in this thread.

A PNR is just a wrapper, which can have all sorts of stuff in it - hotels, car hire. So even going back 10 years ago if the PNR had multiple tickets in it, a travel agency speciality, then that wouldn't allow interlining, assuming the agent was clued up on these things. This being NCL you can be totally sure the agent is so clued up! If it was one ticket, one PNR that should have been fine.
Yes that is my thought too, and the check-in agent at NCL did confirm this, and actually double checked for me.

However, the wiki seems to be misleading as it suggests one PNR but multiple tickets can be used for through check-in, despite explaining in the next paragraph that the PNR is just a wrapper.

I just checked my TA file, and it is indeed three ticket numbers in the PNR for NCL-LHR-HKG-BNE-ISA on BA/CX/CX/QF in Y/W/W/J.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Recently did BKK-HKG with a BA Avios Ticket on CX and had NO PROBLEM with CX interlining to a separate AA booking/flight from HKG to DFW.

BA WAKE UP !
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:31 am

So I wonder if TAs are smart enough to consider the implications of this when booking 'connections'?

Not only does it take longer but there could be visa/entry considerations too. I bet many TAs don't - or rather the systems used by the TAs don't take it into account. I hope I'm wrong.

(Is it a connection if it's one PNR but two tickets?)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
So I wonder if TAs are smart enough to consider the implications of this when booking 'connections'?
Not all of them.

I'm in the process at the moment of sorting out a trip for a family member. A TA booked HKG-LHR-HKG for her, leaving her to get a separate LHR-JFK-LHR that's intended to be nested in between. For the second half, on which she is not stopping at LHR, the TA's advice to her was to get a JFK-LHR that arrives at "about 9 or 10 am" for a 1225 LHR departure to HKG - without any apparent consideration of it being a T5 arrival if on BA, or the need to allow time to clear immigration, collect bags and clear customs even if arriving at T3 before checking-in with CX. My firm view is that 3˝ hours isn't enough time or margin for this, particularly for a 79-year old travelling on her own.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
if the PNR had multiple tickets in it, a travel agency speciality, then that wouldn't allow interlining, assuming the agent was clued up on these things. This being NCL you can be totally sure the agent is so clued up! If it was one ticket, one PNR that should have been fine.
I thought current policy allows for interlining across separate tickets, as long as they're within a single PNR...? That's what it says in the wiki too...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Virazuno
I thought current policy allows for interlining across separate tickets, as long as they're within a single PNR...? That's what it says in the wiki too...
Actually you are correct. I was getting confused with interlining outside of oneworld, where separate tickets means no interlining, same ticket does allow interlining. Cathay and Qantas obviously are oneworld. Looking at the Speedbird guidelines, it even uses this example to demonstrate how interlining would be allowed:

Interline journey on two ticket numbers in a single PNR/booking

LHR-DOH (BA) - Ticket 1
DOH-BKK (QR) - Ticket 2
Single PNR: AB12CD
So stez, you was robbed!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:40 am

I hope Stez takes this up with BA. Keep us posted!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:38 am

Well I decided to check with the customer services desk in Zone D at T3. It was very quiet and I phrased my queries in such a way that I'm not expecting anything to changed for my current itinerary and more for future reference.

All three lasses, after much conferring and keyboard presses, insists that I could not interline with one PNR, different tickets to another OW flight. I mentioned the Speedbird website but they say their own information is that I could not interline.

They admit there is a lot of confusion due to changes to the policy in the last year.

I'll submit a webform complaint in, but whether I get a coherent and relevant reply is another matter, if I do, I might buy a lottery ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Stez

Did you travel recently on a Saturday (bank holiday long weekend)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.