Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD
I have had QR refuse to through check bags on separate OW PNR's and AA to say yes - so it seems down to individuals who do check in and it is just confusing for all concerned.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by escape4
Especially for someone travelling in premium classes, this is not a premium experience.

I am assuming if I read the entire 125-page thread someone has already explained, but for two flights with the same airline, why would BA or AA or others be so customer-unfriendly and make life difficult for their customers? I am assuming they have a good reason otherwise they would not do it.
XXX - YYY 100 gbp
YYY - ZZZ 100 gbp
XXX - ZZZ 500 gbp
for example !
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
XXX - YYY 100 gbp
YYY - ZZZ 100 gbp
XXX - ZZZ 500 gbp
for example !
Yeah, I get what you say. But in my case, the business award on AA DUB-ORD-MIA-DFW-LHR, at the time of booking, ORD-MIA and MIA-DFW only has T class released (coach only) and with one leg with overnight connection and one leg with over 8 hours connection. So I paid the domestic business (or first whatever they call it now) for ORD-MIA-DFW to better connect my intercontinental flight. AA actually got more money than they should have got. (plus I did not take the T class domestic legs so someone else can take advantage! cheek face me!)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:37 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
XXX - YYY 100 gbp
YYY - ZZZ 100 gbp
XXX - ZZZ 500 gbp
for example !
I understand what you mean. So an airline wants to give a customer hassle because it does not like that a client is choosing voluntarily to go with a more convoluted itinerary to save money (with a price structure that was developed by the airline itself). Does the airline incur more expense by tagging the bag to destination? I am no expert but I guess not? I could see a customer being quite unhappy about such practices by the airline and decide to simply fly with someone else. It all depends on routes and prices of course.

Personally, if an airline makes decisions which make my life more difficult, but if I understand that it benefits the airline (they save money, etc.) then it's logical and I accept their decision - this is business and it makes sense. But if an airline gives me trouble simply because they want to steer me to a different choice, then over time indeed I am steering towards a different choice, that is a different airline.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by escape4
I understand what you mean. So an airline wants to give a customer hassle because it does not like that a client is choosing voluntarily to go with a more convoluted itinerary to save money (with a price structure that was developed by the airline itself).
Perhaps it simply expects the customer to accept the drawbacks that may exist with the benefits of separate tickets

The customer paying the through fare gets protection should a flight be delayed/cancelled and the onward flight is missed plus gets the benefit of throigh baggage checking

The customer that books 2 separate itineraries gets to deal with having 2 separate itineraries - just book the through ticket and no issues
highpeaklad and Anonba like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yeah, I get what you say. But in my case ... <snip> ... AA actually got more money than they should have got. (plus I did not take the T class domestic legs so someone else can take advantage! cheek face me!)
but it's not about you - it's about the average customer!

presumably the airlines (on average) make more money, and incur less costs (not having to reunite misconnecting baggage, not having to reschedule passengers who have missed connections).

i still think it's poor form for airlines to behave this way (and probably against their long term interests) ... but i can see why they do it for short term gain.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:25 am

Presumably it costs the airline to through check bags due to the loss liability they accept when they do this. There may also be logistical costs if the bags and passenger get separated, for instance the bag makes the connection but the passenger doesn't.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Presumably it costs the airline to through check bags due to the loss liability they accept when they do this. There may also be logistical costs if the bags and passenger get separated, for instance the bag makes the connection but the passenger doesn't.
That might make sense for through checking to other airlines, but for through checking to the same airline I don't see how it increases the logistical costs.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by omk298
That might make sense for through checking to other airlines, but for through checking to the same airline I don't see how it increases the logistical costs.
Greater risk of baggage going missing, greater risk of either bag and passenger getting separated and the costs of resolving either of these outcomes...I'm just thinking aloud here, not an expert on this
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

but it's not about you - it's about the average customer!

presumably the airlines (on average) make more money, and incur less costs (not having to reunite misconnecting baggage, not having to reschedule passengers who have missed connections).

i still think it's poor form for airlines to behave this way (and probably against their long term interests) ... but i can see why they do it for short term gain.
Average passengers does not buy 2 separate ticket. Most of the average passengers prefers point to point if they can.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Greater risk of baggage going missing, greater risk of either bag and passenger getting separated and the costs of resolving either of these outcomes...I'm just thinking aloud here, not an expert on this
I don't know about cost. You might be right about that one. But, for a passenger travel on a through ticket AAA-BBB-CCC and two separate tickets AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with the same legal transfer time, the risk of baggage going missing or bags separate from passengers are exactly THE SAME, mathematically speaking if both case bags are checked through. To baggage handlers, what passengers booked is irrelevant. They can only see what bags are interlined to what flight.

In fact, through check the bag could help on-time departures. For example, when passengers fly AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with 4 hours transfer time, separate tickets. Without through checked baggage, the first leg is 2 hours late, the passenger had to reclaim the bag and re-check in. There are several things can go wrong to have an impact on this passenger's transit: 1, Arrival jet bridge or bus transfer; 2, late arrival of baggage in belt; 3, queues in recheck the bag; 4, long security line and 5, long walk to boarding gate. Any disrupted passenger can be potential disruption for later.

With checked through baggage, airline can virtually control every aspect of the offline transit passenger. Everyone is happy, except the bean counter believe they could sell the ticket more expensive without considering the missed the sale in future.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I don't know about cost. You might be right about that one. But, for a passenger travel on a through ticket AAA-BBB-CCC and two separate tickets AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with the same legal transfer time, the risk of baggage going missing or bags separate from passengers are exactly THE SAME, mathematically speaking if both case bags are checked through. To baggage handlers, what passengers booked is irrelevant. They can only see what bags are interlined to what flight.

In fact, through check the bag could help on-time departures. For example, when passengers fly AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with 4 hours transfer time, separate tickets. Without through checked baggage, the first leg is 2 hours late, the passenger had to reclaim the bag and re-check in. There are several things can go wrong to have an impact on this passenger's transit: 1, Arrival jet bridge or bus transfer; 2, late arrival of baggage in belt; 3, queues in recheck the bag; 4, long security line and 5, long walk to boarding gate. Any disrupted passenger can be potential disruption for later.

With checked through baggage, airline can virtually control every aspect of the offline transit passenger. Everyone is happy, except the bean counter believe they could sell the ticket more expensive without considering the missed the sale in future.

Just my 2 cents.

if you have two separate tickets there is no legal transfer time for that journey. AAA to BBB is one journey. You reclaim your luggage clear customs and immigration if any and then go and check in again. Hopefully you will reach the check in deadline or conformance for your BBB-CCC flight.

If the first flight is late and you miss your second flight BA are u dear no obligation to get you to CCC but they may help you for a fee especially if status is involved,

if you have 2 separate tickets there is handling of the baggage at the transfer point that puts the airline at additional liability if things go wrong they could be saddled with courier costs and / or costs for additional expenses for delayed baggage,

back in in the day when presenting a ticket to London at pretty much all US airports BA would ask if London is yiur final destination.

2 years ago I had a MIA-LHR-DUB ticket with AA and BA and a separate BA DUB-LCY flight. I asked at the MIA check in if they could through check for me, after s bit of typing they were able to but if they weren’t I wasn’t going to push it.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
if you have two separate tickets there is no legal transfer time for that journey. AAA to BBB is one journey. You reclaim your luggage clear customs and immigration if any and then go and check in again. Hopefully you will reach the check in deadline or conformance for your BBB-CCC flight.
This is not true. Many airports have MCT for offline transit/transfer, which is exactly designed for people needs to collect their bags or re check-in.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
This is not true. Many airports have MCT for offline transit/transfer, which is exactly designed for people needs to collect their bags or re check-in.
Csn you give some examples and sources for this. as I have never heard of offline minimum connection times. Indeed I fail to see why if you bowl up 3 hours late for your ‘onward’ flight why that airline would honour your non refundable non changeable ticket just because the flight you arrived on had allowed this offline minimum connection time between arriving flights d onward flight.
aidy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Heathrow websits states on the connections planner

Pages within this section may quote minimum connection times. These only apply if you have booked a through-ticket with an airline or travel agent, and any baggage is checked through to your final destination

Minimum connection times do not apply if:
  • You have arranged your own flight connection; or
  • You need to pick up baggage at Heathrow.
:D! and aidy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.