Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
And remember... just because "computer says yes", doesn't mean the agents have been told they can do it. So don't put agents in difficult positions!

Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Does FLY prevent agents from entering additional destinations onto the bag tag? Basically a “computer says no” scenario?
FLY's underlying "mother" software, Altea DCS, has no constraints at all in this respect. If there is a software block in FLY, it's because BA have intended it as such. But the software is fully capable.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by KARFA

QR’s policy is to check bags though on to a separate ticket. However the agent was wrong on the second point, the agent could have checked the bags through to NCL and there is no requirement to pick up the bag and clear customers at the first airport in the UK.
That is what I thought KARFA but we decided that as we have five hours in Oslo we have plenty of time to recheck in and pick it up in NCL so we didn't try to argue the point.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Asked QR to see if they could through check our bags from MLE-DOH-OSL then onto BA for OSL-LHR-NCL - they said yes but we were advised that we would have to pick up our bags in London to clear customs so declined due to short transfer time in LHR to catch last flight of the day. Will pick up bags and check in again at OSL but can't see what difference it will make.
I'm wondering if the refusal was because it would have needed a second baggage tag printing and the agent wasn't sure how to do that?

Coming back from HKG with QR I checked in at Kowloon station and asked for them to through check to Leeds, after a minute he asked "so to London right?" I politely asked for Leeds if possible, after typing for another few minutes he produced a second tag, so they went HKG-DOH-ARN on QR then ARN-LHR-LBA on BA. Once at ARN I produced the baggage receipts at BA check in to ensure that they had been transferred across.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Recent data points? Linking bookings?

Have a flight booked CE GLA-LHR then CE LHR-KEF. Is there any likelihood GLA staff will through check on 2 PNRs? Don’t usually travel with bags but will likely need to check bags this trip... Is there any benefit in calling Gold line to ‘link’ the bookings? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by DocS
Have a flight booked CE GLA-LHR then CE LHR-KEF. Is there any likelihood GLA staff will through check on 2 PNRs? Don’t usually travel with bags but will likely need to check bags this trip... Is there any benefit in calling Gold line to ‘link’ the bookings? Thanks in advance.
No and No.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
I flew on seperate PNR's from MEX to LHR and from LHR to GLA. At check-in in Mexico, I was going to ask to see if they could check my bags through to Glasgow. However, and without prompting, a baggage tag was produced checking right through to Glasgow.

I had not linked the bookings but had checked in to both flights - is there perhaps some movement in their systems to allow sensible interlining?

I was in paid J on both flights and I'm Gold.

(The issue of interlining - like to many people on here - infuriates me as I've been forced to pick-up and recheck bags countless times at LHR as I'm on separate PNRs as my plans change almost weekly so I never book complicated itineraries. It's really poor show of BA especially when its BA to BA).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
In the fast track immigration in T5 on Monday, there was a family doing a separate ticket connection that was almost certainly going to miss their flight and would have been completely avoidable with checking through. A 45 minute delay combined with nearly an hour in fast track (that alone should be a major issue) and a T5 -> T3 transfer meant they were in trouble when it would have been very reasonable with a through checked bag where you get the direct coach to T3 and avoid the immigration mess.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
In the fast track immigration in T5 on Monday, there was a family doing a separate ticket connection that was almost certainly going to miss their flight and would have been completely avoidable with checking through. A 45 minute delay combined with nearly an hour in fast track (that alone should be a major issue) and a T5 -> T3 transfer meant they were in trouble when it would have been very reasonable with a through checked bag where you get the direct coach to T3 and avoid the immigration mess.
The issue was also probably completely avoidable by purchasing a through ticket
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The issue was also probably completely avoidable by purchasing a through ticket
The policy from BA is a Bad Policy.... you can try to dress it up but still a terrible customer service but again what to expect from the BA's management
FlyerTalker688786 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by RolfD
The policy from BA is a Bad Policy.... you can try to dress it up but still a terrible customer service but again what to expect from the BA's management
I don't really agree. Through tickets are available in 99% of cases for those passengers wanting to be able to check their bags through and retain protection in the event of delays. I would anticipate that the number of journeys where a through ticket/interlining is not available are relatively few.

I do understand that people argue that they have busy lives and itineraries subject to change: well changeable tickets are available for such circumstances.

What doesn't really work is for people to expect to gain from the savings that exist on many separate tickets whilst retaining the benefits of buying one.
Sealink, markle and Anonba like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I don't really agree. Through tickets are available in 99% of cases for those passengers wanting to be able to check their bags through and retain protection in the event of delays. I would anticipate that the number of journeys where a through ticket/interlining is not available are relatively few.
Do you apply this to people who wish to make avios bookings or use a 2 for 1 voucher and cant can avios the entire way as no seats released? Or wish to connect to another OneWorld carrier after their Avios flight? Personally to me it is a shocking policy which has meant I have flown BA considerably less in the last 36 months!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Its really not ONE world is it.....more we don't really connect world.....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1

I do understand that people argue that they have busy lives and itineraries subject to change: well changeable tickets are available for such circumstances.

What doesn't really work is for people to expect to gain from the savings that exist on many separate tickets whilst retaining the benefits of buying one.
I mean, in this case, I believe the family was just completely caught aback and had no idea about the no through checking policy. Now, through being extra gossipy and listening in, they had said it would have been several thousand dollars more. We all assess our own risk tolerance, and I'm all for pricing in the difference, but those prices need to be reasonable.

I do think the best decision would be to offer it as a paid service. It would seem like £50 for a through check would be a reasonable amount or something along those lines and then compensates BA for taking on the additional risk. I don't believe that unloading a bag to the carousel and then having to have staff to recheck it in is less work than than routing it through the normal connections path, so any additional cost is purely a risk for misconnect rather than a direct cost.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gilfiom
I flew on seperate PNR's from MEX to LHR and from LHR to GLA. At check-in in Mexico, I was going to ask to see if they could check my bags through to Glasgow. However, and without prompting, a baggage tag was produced checking right through to Glasgow.
I'm interested to see if this indicates a wider change...

Just to clarify, 2 separate bookings (assuming with your EC number listed), which you OLCI'd separate? Did the MEX agent ever see your LHR-GLA boarding pass or was it completely handled without any prompts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.