Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Captain's Log....oh hang on, we seem to be missing an entry!

Old May 22, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I've been holding flight logbooks for our kids for a couple of years now but on our recent flight to MRU, I completely forgot to get the captain to fill them out for the kids.

We are returning from MRU this week. Would I be able to ask the crew to ask the captain to fill out both the outbound and the return? I'd need to look up the aircraft that flew us here - what would be the best way of doing that?

I'm sure many people will think "why not do it yourself?". I like the notion that a pilot fills out the actual logbook. I appreciate that I'm tarnishing that notion by asking a different captain to complete the entry for us - but if I show them the outbound boarding passes, should there be any issue in them filling out for us?

Thanks
Old May 22, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Absolutely, it happens all the time.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
All too often I end up filling in the books myself for the kids, missing details like the crew signatures & registrations. A few years back, we were flying to (or from) Vancouver and the flight crew must have tapped into a data base to fill in a load of gaps.

The captain also wrote a very nice note in one of the books. I guess if you're spending 6hrs flying over tundra, there's probably not much else to do...
Old May 22, 2016, 12:53 pm

You can check which aircraft you flew on here http://ftdashboard.net/overview/baflights.htm

Although I've just realised you would have flown from LGW and the site doesn't track LGW flights

You might do better here https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba2063/

(sorry - on mobile so can't check the functionality of the 2nd link)
Old May 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Didn't know these existed (having spent my 90s childhood mostly on EZY).
My sister is due her first child in 3 months so I might need to nab one of these from one of my next flights in preparation!
Would crew have spares if I ask?
Old May 22, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On longhaul we always have plenty so please ask.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Cheers CIHY, will do ^
Old May 22, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
On shorthaul, we only have them on Band 3 and 4 flights.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That's great news. Thanks all.

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba

Although I've just realised you would have flown from LGW and the site doesn't track LGW flights

You might do better here https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba2063/

(sorry - on mobile so can't check the functionality of the 2nd link)
Unfortunately flightradar24 only goes back 7 days. Anyone know how I can look for flights over a 2 week period? I've got the the Flightradar24 app but I can't see the functionality within the app to do that.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by silonic
Unfortunately flightradar24 only goes back 7 days. Anyone know how I can look for flights over a 2 week period?
Even the most trivial subscription plan (US$10/year) will get you that info from the website. Here's an example (for BA2063), go subscribe for more:

23-May B772 (G-YMMD)
21-May B772 (G-YMMS)
19-May B772 (G-YMMR)
16-May B772 (G-YMMS)
14-May B772 (G-YMMD)
12-May B772 (G-YMMS)
09-May B772 (G-YMMD)
07-May B772 (G-YMMR)
05-May B772 (G-YMMS)
02-May B772 (G-YMMD)
30-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
28-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
26-Apr B772 (G-YMMS)
23-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
21-Apr B772 (G-YMMS)
19-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
16-Apr B772 (G-YMMS)
14-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
12-Apr B772 (G-YMMS)
09-Apr B772 (G-YMMS)
07-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
05-Apr B772 (G-YMMA)
02-Apr B772 (G-YMMR)
31-Mar B772 (G-YMMS)
29-Mar B772 (G-YMMR)
26-Mar B772 (G-YMMR)
24-Mar B772 (G-YMMS)

Last edited by flatlander; May 23, 2016 at 1:39 am Reason: Clarify example is actually useful.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Can I ask how does this work?
Is it an off the shelf pilots log book that you have the crew record the flight details and aircraft etc? CIHY mentioned spares so wasnt sure if it was a BA one?

We've got a new baby and I wouldn't mind starting something like that.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by highlander100
Can I ask how does this work?
Is it an off the shelf pilots log book that you have the crew record the flight details and aircraft etc? CIHY mentioned spares so wasnt sure if it was a BA one?

We've got a new baby and I wouldn't mind starting something like that.
Yes, it's just a little BA-branded card/paperback book, about the same size as a UK passport.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to expand on what Swiss Tony wrote above, it is a BA branded paperback like book that has 'FLIGHT LOGBOOK' written on the front.

The inside page: WELCOME ONBOARD
In this log book you will be able to keep your own personal record of all your flights with British Airways. When you have travelled:
10,000; 25,000; 50,000; or 100,000 miles please ask a member of your flight crew to sign your mileage certificates in the back.

The next page asks for information details: your picture, name, where you live, your e-mail address, when you were born and your nationality.

After that comes the actually log part (six pages worth) with the following information that can be filled in:
Date - Flight No. - From - To - Aircraft & Registration - Statute Miles - Total - Flight Crew Signatures.

Next is a page, left side, for 'Airport Stamps' (something we have never done with Master Hoch). On the opposite right side, there are the above mile achievements pages, e.g. 10,000. Here it asks:
Date - Flight Number - Flight route from - Flight crew name - Flight crew signature.

Finally, at the back there are two pages for 'Travel Notes'. We keep notes that the crew have given to us over the years, e.g. have a Merry Christmas etc.

I encourage every parent to have get one. Our son is now over four years old he enjoys giving his book to the CC and is very proud of it

H

Last edited by Hoch; May 23, 2016 at 1:39 am Reason: I wasn't done typing...silly keyboard!
Old May 23, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Hoch
Just to expand on what Swiss Tony wrote above, it is a BA branded paperback like book that has 'FLIGHT LOGBOOK' written on the front.

The inside page: WELCOME ONBOARD
In this log book you will be able to keep your own personal record of all your flights with British Airways. When you have travelled:
10,000; 25,000; 50,000; or 100,000 miles please ask a member of your flight crew to sign your mileage certificates in the back.

The next page asks for information details: your picture, name, where you live, your e-mail address, when you were born and your nationality.

After that comes the actually log part (six pages worth) with the following information that can be filled in:
Date - Flight No. - From - To - Aircraft & Registration - Statute Miles - Total - Flight Crew Signatures.

Next is a page, left side, for 'Airport Stamps' (something we have never done with Master Hoch). On the opposite right side, there are the above mile achievements pages, e.g. 10,000. Here it asks:
Date - Flight Number - Flight route from - Flight crew name - Flight crew signature.

Finally, at the back there are two pages for 'Travel Notes'. We keep notes that the crew have given to us over the years, e.g. have a Merry Christmas etc.

I encourage every parent to have get one. Our son is now over four years old he enjoys giving his book to the CC and is very proud of it

H
Our kids love their logbooks as well. One time the captain himself brought them back and ended up chatting to Mr TL for ages. Mr TL thinks it's the best part of the trip
Old May 23, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.