How flexible is an RFS?

Old May 22, 16, 8:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
How flexible is an RFS?

Had a quick look at the dashboard and couldn't find an obvious answer...

Here's my scenario(in July)

I'm flying QR to Stockholm (arriving: 19:45)

I need to get straight back to LHR - there is avios availability for the 21.15 ARN-LHR.

This gives a 90 minute layover.

If my QR flight is delayed - how late on can I change my avios booking to the following morning(assuming there's availability)

Something in the back of my mind suggests t-24 hours. But I'd be delighted to be wrong.

Thanks
alfredooo is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 9:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,538
I'm afraid you're right. No changes to avios bookings after T-24h.

What you could do instead is buy a cheap-ish 'with checked bag' cash fare which now includes free same day flexibility. However even there the change must be made no later than 1h before your booked flight.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 9:05 am
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,691
Originally Posted by alfredooo View Post
Something in the back of my mind suggests t-24 hours. But I'd be delighted to be wrong.
You're not wrong. It is 24 hours.

However Plus fares are changeable on the day of departure, up to one hour before departure, and can be done via the App. That's a free change made on the day of departure, subject to seating availability in your cabin. Basic fares, formerly know as Hand Baggage Only fares, can also be changed online within an hour of departure but that has a 60 change fee and fare difference.

Now I'm not sure this works very well in your case, but what I would normally suggest is that you book a Plus fare for as late as possible, then use the App to pull forward to an earlier departure on the day, if circumstances allow.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 9:06 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Ahh,

Thanks for clearing up. Unfortunatly the 21.15 is the last flight of the day. So the same day flexibility wouldn't be much use for changing to the following day.

A night at an ARN hotel it is!

Cheers,
alfredooo is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 11:51 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,668
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You're not wrong. It is 24 hours.

However Plus fares are changeable on the day of departure, up to one hour before departure, and can be done via the App. That's a free change made on the day of departure, subject to seating availability in your cabin. Basic fares, formerly know as Hand Baggage Only fares, can also be changed online within an hour of departure but that has a 60 change fee and fare difference.

Now I'm not sure this works very well in your case, but what I would normally suggest is that you book a Plus fare for as late as possible, then use the App to pull forward to an earlier departure on the day, if circumstances allow.
Oh wow - do in-app changes actually work now?? I remember being on a flexible fare a couple of years back and it took about 20 min on the phone whilst in a taxi to try and get them to change the flight time!
EDIflyer is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 12:07 pm
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,691
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
Oh wow - do in-app changes actually work now?? I remember being on a flexible fare a couple of years back and it took about 20 min on the phone whilst in a taxi to try and get them to change the flight time!
Yes they do, this is a screenshot from the App with a Basic fare, the Plus fares don't have the top box nor the indicator of a low/high fare difference.

corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 12:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,668
amazing! Now they just need to sort the code to allow rebooking in case of flight cancellations
EDIflyer is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 12:35 pm
  #8  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,691
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
amazing! Now they just need to sort the code to allow rebooking in case of flight cancellations
When the fog struck LCY a couple of weeks back, that worked for me too!
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 22, 16, 12:36 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,668
Nice!! Glad I've been sitting down reading these posts about BA IT working - don't worry, I'm sure they haven't corrected anything for connecting flights though
EDIflyer is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 1:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Posts: 7,389
Alternatively, book both flights (evening and morning) to add comfort and knowing that you'll make it back either way - though this will obviously cost you twice as much.

I've had BA change my RFS same day a few hours before departure but that was because of a cancelled meeting at Waterside and because I am special......
chris1979 is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 1:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Posts: 990
I'd heard about these same day changes through HfP, but I tried to change a recent flight and had no luck. Travel Agent said there was no change fee but there was a fare difference of 315 (this was LHR-GLA).
I asked in the flounge but they confirmed the TA's price and when she phoned through to the ticketing desk they said the same day changes FOC are only to move to an earlier flight?
hcuk94 is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 1:46 am
  #12  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,691
It depends when your ticket was issued. The new Plus and Plus Flex fares were introduced on 8 March 2016, so if your ticket was issued before then then the previous conditions applied. If there were other sectors on the ticket then it would not have been a Plus or Plus Flex ticket (e.g LHR-GLA-SYY). And finally Basic tickets - formerly known in this forum as HBO - still have a change fee plus fare difference on the day. You mentioned a travel agent fare, there would be some negotiated tickets which I guess would have their own rules too.

It's not just allowing early departure, both the App and the online version show later flights the same day too, but you would need to make the change no later than 1 hour before the original departure. Consequently it is often logistically easier to pull forward a flight rather than defer it.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 1:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Posts: 654
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post

I've had BA change my RFS same day a few hours before departure but that was because of a cancelled meeting at Waterside and because I am special......
I have also done it a few times. The issue is that you have to speak directly to the Avios department that opens 7.30 am (?) And closes sometime early evening. Outside of these hours no one at any call centre or ticket desk or check-in desk tends to dare touch your ticket!

I find it very very annoying as the key with these flights booked with avios is often that I need flexibility (even if the 35 pound fee) - assuming there is award space on the flight I am moving to.

I had no way of changing on to an earlier CX departure despite a gazillion of seats (CX were very happy to move me until they saw it was an avios ticket). I needed to call, but of course at midnight UK time it is closed.

Long story short. Never expect to be able to do anything with an Avios ticket within t-24.


That it cannot be cancelled I find very reasonable. That it is not allowed to be changed (assuming you pay the fee and there is availability) is ridiculous.

My star alliance awards are all changeable up to an hour of departure, and for a fee equivalent to of 13 pounds. (And waived if certain status requirements are met)
skba1 is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 1:51 am
  #14  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,616
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post
... and because I am special......
You most certainly are, but not necessarily in the way you think!
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 2:33 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It depends when your ticket was issued. The new Plus and Plus Flex fares were introduced on 8 March 2016, so if your ticket was issued before then then the previous conditions applied. If there were other sectors on the ticket then it would not have been a Plus or Plus Flex ticket (e.g LHR-GLA-SYY). And finally Basic tickets - formerly known in this forum as HBO - still have a change fee plus fare difference on the day. You mentioned a travel agent fare, there would be some negotiated tickets which I guess would have their own rules too.

It's not just allowing early departure, both the App and the online version show later flights the same day too, but you would need to make the change no later than 1 hour before the original departure. Consequently it is often logistically easier to pull forward a flight rather than defer it.
Hmm, those flights would definitely have been booked after 8th March! Not sure what's happening. We don't have any negotiated rates with BA and our TA don't do anything special to my knowledge.
Maybe next time I'll try through the website/app - in case the TA are just looking at the wrong thing.

We always book fares inclusive of baggage allowance so that wouldn't be the problem. Ah well, I'll keep trying!
hcuk94 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread