Club world seat 5A - does it have a window?

Old May 21, 16, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Club world seat 5A - does it have a window?

We are flying CW in late June LGW to MRU. We have booked seats 4/5 A/B out and 10/11A/B return. I think it is a three class configuration. On seat guru it says 5A doesn't have a window, but when I asked the BA rep they were adamant that it does. Does anyone know definitively? We could move to 10/11 J/K instead. Thanks all, and any other inside info on the LGW MRU route would be great. I know about the Gatwick lounge closure...boo.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 21, 16, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Here are some pictures. There is a missing window in row 5.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20187587-post2439.html
Old May 21, 16, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
By the way, if you end up on a 40j with only four rows up front, row 4 has all its windows intact.

And welcome to FT!!
Old May 21, 16, 4:16 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Gold
This is sketchy info from almost 8 months ago, but when looking around I seem to remember not wanting to opt for 5A on this configuration as I think the first window is missing. It could also attract some galley noise, although this wouldn't really perturb me. No other info on the route, but if it's a window you require I would suggest moving to 10/11JK instead which if not taken shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 21, 16, 4:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Ruth4325, welcome to the BA forum. I hope you have a good flight to Malé. And by all means make make yourself at home here. There is a bit of a view from the window at head level, but it's not well aligned. Window row 5 is still a good seat though.
Old May 21, 16, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You won't have a 40 J on the MRU route, so row 5 windows will be as described.
Old May 21, 16, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post
By the way, if you end up on a 40j with only four rows up front, row 4 has all its windows intact.

And welcome to FT!!
This appears not to apply on this route now anyway, but the 40J has 3 rows up front (and 2 behind, making 5 rows of 8 = 40).

It looks like they lost a row number somewhere as logic dictates it would be rows 1-3 or 1-4 in the first cabin for 40J and 48J respectively, but it isn't - these types of little inconsistencies somehow bug me!
Old May 21, 16, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lost row is because there are 5 toilets on the 40J and 3 on the 48J, there is also a side galley and wardrobe removed on the 48J.
Old May 21, 16, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk Ruth4325, welcome to the BA forum. I hope you have a good flight to Malé.
Not to be pedantic but I hope Ruth doesn't as she has booked to go to Mauritius rather than the Maldives so if she ends up in Male she might be a bit miffed!
Old May 21, 16, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Row 5

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm intending to go to Mauritius 😀 If you had a choice between 4/5 A/B or 10/11 J/K what would you advise? We are travelling with our two well behaved children - 8 and 10 (frequent flyers, and will prob have their noses buried in the iPads or ogling the movies, or hopefully asleep). Saying that I know they'd like to look out of a window given the choice.

What is the No1 lounge in LGW going to be like pre flight at dinner time on a Thursday...pandemonium?

Thanks all for your advice and insights so far.
Old May 21, 16, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were you I would choose rows 10 and 11.
Old May 21, 16, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
If I were you I would choose rows 10 and 11.
CIHY I realise you are FAR more qualified than me to answer this, but why?

I was in row 10 to Antigua last month and was served last for everything (the crew did the front cabin first, front to back, then the rear cabin), including running out of cheese and biscuits and my carrots and veg were cold on my main meal (guessing it had been standing around in the galley while the front cabin was served).

Normally I'm in the front cabin when I fly from LGW and have had better service and never the problems above.
Old May 21, 16, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had the same dillemma to PUJ last year. Was worried about galkey noise, so gave up o 4/5 and choose 11. Then didn't get a meal choice because I was at the back of the plane.

So I've now given up on 11 as well! Row 2 last time, and probably same again next time.
Old May 21, 16, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meal choice has nothing to where you sit but on based on status, all meals are served directly from the oven so shouldn't have been cold, sorry you must have been unlucky.
If you are at all worried take the front cabin, personally I wouldn't.
Old May 21, 16, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Meal choice has nothing to where you sit but on based on status, all meals are served directly from the oven so shouldn't have been cold, sorry you must have been unlucky.
If you are at all worried take the front cabin, personally I wouldn't.
Perhaps the LGW crew are not so rigorous at prioritising meal choice as LHR? In any event, choice aside, the actual serving of everything was done front to back by row number so rear cabin is last.

Search this Thread