Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Yes I went OT. I plead guilty and apologies to that too but did make some references to catering and have some photos to upload later.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Interesting that this thread comes back to the front page in the week I booked an economy flight to Abu Dhabi later in the year (first long haul economy flight in a couple of years).

Out of interest what is offered on BA73 LHR to AUH departing at 12:45 PM?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Heathrow to Rio Y service was actually a lot better than I had anticipated. 11 hours 10 flight time. Drinks and pretzels after take off, decent lunch tray, snacks and drinks offered mid flight, a magnum ice cream and a pre-landing tray with a hot and tasty folded pizza. Can’t complain. Service improvements were good.

Interesting items. I'm not a great fan of the "mousse" type desserts that seem to feature a lot in BA Y meals on Airlinemeals.com. The cashews and raisins are something I wouldn't expect to see on a meal tray, rather a snack or maybe with a drink. So nice to see the salad isn't a green leaf and a few pieces of tomato. I loved the side salads in Y on Cathay - always inventive and very, very tasty. Hated traveling in J on QF and BA to get the dreaded green leaf salad. A posh bottle of dressing doesn't make up for a salad that's cost a few pence to prepare.

Speaking of salad, what's in the salad box with 2nd meal? Also did you take pics of the hot items with the lids off? Would love to see and if possible add them to airlinemeals.com too!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Breakfast
Originally Posted by headingwest
I've been waiting nearly 3 weeks to hear if I'm going to get a breakfast!
not quite what it used to be...

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I have just stumbled in here out of curiosity, after reading another BA catering Thread here, and I’m surprised by the lack of photos! Is this due to insufficient room to take a picture, or do WT pax not have smartphones/cameras?

Indeed, the whole subject of WT catering seems decidedly ‘below the radar’, especially when compared with the endless cahatter about F and CW/CE catering. Yet people here DO fly in WT ... I can only assume they’re broadly happy with what they got (and paid for), wihout any great expecatations of excellence.

Although the screwed up pre-orders mentioned by bisonrav here and on another Thread again flag up BA’s ineffectual ‘customer service’.
The meals I've had recently in WT are certainly tasty enough - the Salted Caramel Chocolate Pot for dessert in particular. But I fear the food served down back is not quite as 'Instagram-able' as what's served further forward. Nevertheless, I'm on a WT ticket to IAD this coming Sunday and will happily snap a picture of the offering for you T8191 if it adds to the collective wisdom?
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madmax_uk
not quite what it used to be...
Thanks madmax_uk, definitely not brilliant, but better than a mini-mars bar I suppose.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GM1985
.... Nevertheless, I'm on a WT ticket to IAD this coming Sunday and will happily snap a picture of the offering for you T8191 if it adds to the collective wisdom?
That's exactly what the broader community needs, IMO. So thanks in advance. ^

I know this forum tends to be GGL/Gold and F/J dominant, but I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who stumble in here seeking clues about their impending Y experience ... and find a desert!

PS: Love the Chocolate Pot ourselves. Even get that in CE, although we usually take it home to have with coffee later!!
aflan85 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I don't care what anybody says, travelling in Y can be fun and you can also collect a lot of miles if you're in the right fares. In some ways, it's much better value than the 'premium' tickets.
Agreed. I use various classes on BA and have recently had some shockingly dirty seats and inattentive lazy service in the so-called premium Club World cabin. It wasn’t a premium experience in any way. The seat makes a huge difference but with 3 seats to myself on my recent Rio flight in Y and an attentive service, I can’t complain. I realise that’s a one-off but I’ve often been sat at the front of a BA aircraft regretting spending my money in a filthy seat and crew who seemed to have got off mid-flight.
headingwest likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:31 pm

BA 109 21.40 on 18th Feb

World traveller flight from LHR to DXB on 18th Feb. Arabic Chicken and cous cous. I was in row 39 and was asked for a meal choice as soon as the special meals were served. I can only attribute that to being a gold. Flight was very full.

Tasty enough.

Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Dear All, It may be on here somewhere but cant see. If flying USA east coast > LHR overnight is there a hot/cooked breakfast now or just the cereal bar & juice/coffee ??
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hot breakfast are only on longer flights so it will be something like the latter.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
BA106 DXB-LHR (02.25 am departure) 28.02.18

A snack served shortly after take-off. After pouring my G&T I realised that I'd been given ginger ale instead of tonic water, so I was given a double as 'service recovery'

Breakfast was the hot meal on this flight. It was nice to see some fresh fruit which I gather they don't even serve in CE anymore

On the LHR-DXB flight out I was served the same meal as kwisstan posted upthread, which was quite tasty. It's nice to see the return of the pretzels and cheese and biscuits. ^
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Those Monty's wraps are rather tasty and exactly the same as those served by Air Canada. While we're all pleased to see catering improvements, its important to remember that little apart from the ice cream is 'new'. Most of it restores cuts and takes the service back to something comparable to other full service airlines.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
That's exactly what the broader community needs, IMO. So thanks in advance. ^

I know this forum tends to be GGL/Gold and F/J dominant, but I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who stumble in here seeking clues about their impending Y experience ... and find a desert!

PS: Love the Chocolate Pot ourselves. Even get that in CE, although we usually take it home to have with coffee later!!
With apologies for the later than planned reply (the Beast from the East interfered with my intentions on responding to this post!), here are a few pictures of recent WT catering.

Route: London Heathrow (LHR) to Washington Dulles (IAD)
Flight: BA217
Departure: 11.25AM on Sunday 25th February 2017

After departure, a bar round was complete along with wine choice for the main meal. The meal was served approximately 75 minutes after departure. The main course choices were a chicken breast in ale sauce or vegetable pasta in a tomato sauce. Despite being a committed carnivore, I went for the pasta.

The entire meal consisted of: a couscous, tomato and cucumber salad starter, main meal of pasta with vegetables in a tomato sauce, a Pots&Co salted caramel & chocolate pudding, bread roll, cheese, crackers and 250ml bottle of water. Followed by a tea & coffee service. Overall a very tasty and filling meal. The proper water bottle is an improvement on the previous water 'cuplet' and the dessert is always a hit.

After the meal service, there were frequent juice/water rounds. Approximately half-way through the flight, the cabin crew gave out double caramel Magnums. This was the first WT flight I had taken since this particular enhancement, and was a welcome addition to the service. It helped to break up the flight a little and was a nice treat to go with a movie!

Around 90 minutes before landing, the cabin crew were round again with the second meal service. A chicken caesar sandwich, Toblerone and tea/coffee. Again - a massive improvement on the previous choice of an 'ambient snack' for the second meal (consisting either of a Kit-Kat, fruit or yoghurt).

Overall, this was plenty of food for a 7-hour day flight. I certainly was not left hungry and the food was all perfectly tasty. While it may not reach J or F levels of sophistication and presentation, I'd say this is a decent solid offering for a long-haul economy product.

On the return flight, I was on an 787-9 and opted not to have dinner and try to sleep as much as possible for the short overnight flight. From what I gleaned, the choice on the return was chicken curry or vegetable pasta. And the main difference between the outbound and return was that the couscous salad starter had been replaced with a much less interesting pot of iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber. It was also interesting to overhear the crew as they were delivering the meals that they did not like the service on the 787 or working on that aircraft for whatever reason.

I did take breakfast on the return flight (a cream cheese filled pretzel roll) - better than the previous dry croissant that was often offered. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of this one, but overall breakfast in WT seems to still be a weak spot compared to an otherwise decent offering for other meals.

Last edited by GM1985; Mar 5, 2018 at 8:10 am Reason: correct typo
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Has anyone paid for the upgraded meal? Did you feel it was worth it?

My main choice is
  • Poached king prawns with sliced mushrooms, lightly dressed in a traditional marie-rose sauce
  • Braised Herefordshire beef cheek with potato mousseline, roasted root vegetables and madeira shallot jus
  • Chocolate ganache bar with passion fruit coulis and crushed toasted hazelnuts
  • Cheddar cheese and crackers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.