Search

Frankfurt Airport - turnaround time

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Frankfurt Airport - turnaround time

Hi,

We're doing an ex-UK trip from Frankfurt to Sydney in business with Qatar, but obviously need to get to from London to Frankfurt before. We're looking at BA repositioning flights at the moment and wondering if just over 1 1/2 hours on the way out and just under 2 hours on the return leg is enough time to collect baggage and get from terminal 1 to terminal 2 and vice versa?

I'm thinking not and that we should book later BA flights, but we've not been through Frankfurt airport before so don't know about logistics - immigration, security, baggage timings etc.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly recieved.

Thanks
Old May 20, 2016, 4:04 pm

I would be extremely nervous about a 1˝ hour turnaround at Frankfurt even if I were travelling HBO and not having to change terminals. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it probably can't be done if you have to collect luggage, change terminals and go through security again. Don't risk it.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
I think you mean T2 to T1 and then T1 to T2.

I fly to FRA quite a bit and this sounds rather tight to me on the outbound leg. T1 security (even fast track) can be slow, and your incoming BA flight might put you on the Bus Of Doom when you arrive, eating up precious time.

QR fly at 1115/1810. I assume you are taking the 1115 and want BA902 arriving 0940. Personally, I'd fly in the night before and overnight in a hotel near the Hbf or airport. If there is a major trade fair, the hotels will be extortionately expensive - this may have a bearing on your willingness to accept risk.

I flew QR CDG-SYD last month and it wasn't bad - hope you have a good flight.

As I was booked on BA from CDG-LHR on the return leg, I had QR in SYD check my bags all the way through so I didn't see them again until I was back in London. It might be possible for you to do this on your outbound if you are going for BA902/QR70 on the same morning. This would obviate the hassle of schlepping your suitcases around.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can check your bags through.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
@BA6501
Just out of interest, do they do a sanity check on the timings?

@scmd76
The agent in SYD was a little perplexed ay first when I asked him to send the suitcase to LHR - having a printed itinerary helped things greatly.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the great advice, it's greatly appreciated. We're on QR070 leaving at 11.15am, so think we'll grab the last flight the night before. We fly back on QR067 landing at 12.45, so I think we'll opt for the 17.15 rather than the 14.30 back to London just to be on the safe side. Will ask about checking out baggage through on the way back too.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
can't be done in 90 mins if you haven't checked bags through.

I do FRA often and annoyingly BA often uses the northern runway (like yesterday) which means 15-20 mins taxi to T2 and often uses bus stands (yesterday was gate but that was first time for me in 20 odd flights). even ignoring those, you walk a mile or so from gate / bus drop via passport control and baggage and bags can be a bit of a wait (10 mins) yesterday. the transit to T1 is fine but again, takes 10 mins at least (getting there, wait, transit itself etc) so there's 0 chance of you making the check-in / bag drop cut off at T1.

if you can check bags through and have onward BPs, you can stay airside but I'd even then be nervous about 90 mins T2 - T1 (and probably even if it was a T2 - T2 connection on an unprotected ticket).
Old May 21, 2016, 3:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, if it's 2 tickets you best go the night before. Second best option is to have at least a 4 hour connection and travel insurance. FRA is not a good place for connections, other than having a good network of flights, and certainly it isn't good for tight connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.