Domestic catering

Old May 20, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Domestic catering

On the BA website, they proudly decalre that food and a bar service are available on domestic flights. I guess to help them standa out from the LCCs.

However I find this slightly misleading as all I was offered ont eh EDI - LGW flight last night was a choice of either crisps , nuts or biscuits.

A snack may be a more appropriate description but I think the word food (although technically correct) and a picture of some cutlery is misleading, potentially deliberately.

Is this standard service or did I get unlucky?
Attached Images  
Old May 20, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
There is a cooked breakfast on flights before 9:30am

other than that its a choice of crisps, nuts or a lemon melt biscuit, so what you got is standard service

check the short haul catering guide

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html
Old May 20, 2016, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by dobba
On the BA website, they proudly decalre that food and a bar service are available on domestic flights. I guess to help them standa out from the LCCs.

However I find this slightly misleading as all I was offered ont eh EDI - LGW flight last night was a choice of either crisps , nuts or biscuits.

A snack may be a more appropriate description but I think the word food (although technically correct) and a picture of some cutlery is misleading, potentially deliberately.

Is this standard service or did I get unlucky?
Standard service although a hot breakfast is served on morning Anglo-Scottish flights, departing before 09:30
Old May 20, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's the standard symbol used by all airlines for a flight where food is served, there is nothing misleading about it.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I eat crisps with a fork and knife, what's the problem?
Old May 20, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's the standard symbol used by all airlines for a flight where food is served, there is nothing misleading about it.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

If I'm booking with one airline and not having the time nor inclination to check what terminology and symbols all other airlines use, then if it says food with a picture of some cutlery, I'm not convinced a packet of crisps is really what most non-airline staff would expect.

Maybe I'm still fed up seeing the flight was delayed with no notification or they forgot to arrange for steps for us to get off the plane as though it was a surprise we arrived, or that we had to be bussed to the terminal, or you have to pay to choose seat on a baggage only fair even after check in has opened.

BA seem to be falling below expectations of LCCs
Old May 20, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
"Following customer feedback, we are simplifying our domestic service catering to provide an enhanced experience ...."
Old May 20, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by KARFA
I eat crisps with a fork and knife, what's the problem?
That they are chips, not crisps!
Old May 20, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
No measly sandwich offered on a flight between England and Scotland? Seems a bit mean… I can understand Jersey, Leeds, Manchester, where the typical flight time is 35 mins, but Scotland is more like an hour isn't it?
Old May 20, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
No measly sandwich offered on a flight between England and Scotland? Seems a bit mean… I can understand Jersey, Leeds, Manchester, where the typical flight time is 35 mins, but Scotland is more like an hour isn't it?
Scheduled as 90 minutes
Old May 20, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The symbols are not merely for air carriers, but pretty much universal in the hospitality industry worldwide. Why that symbol became cutlery as opposed to an apple as opposed to a sprig of parsley is beyond me. But, no matter the symbol, it will always be attacked.

The length of the flight is not material, it is the market which drives the soft product. If BA started to lose market share, it could up the soft product to full meals in an instant. For the same reason that air fares do not relate to distance or time, meal service is only a rough approximation as well.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Op would probably happier with a picture of a bag of crisps or a finger of fudge.
Th knife and fork means that you will get something to eat, just like a glass means something to drink.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The Op would probably happier with a picture of a bag of crisps or a finger of fudge.
Th knife and fork means that you will get something to eat, just like a glass means something to drink.
If you offered me the choice of crisps or a finger of fudge, I know exactly which to pick
Old May 20, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Those Lemon melt things though...
I am addicted to them.
I hope they don't get enhanced away.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
If you offered me the choice of crisps or a finger of fudge, I know exactly which to pick
And so do I. :

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.