FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1767041-long-haul-flight-catering-world-traveller-plus.html)

Prospero May 19, 16 11:26 pm

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller Plus

I’ve launched this thread as a place for us to share some details about the in-flight meals served in World Traveller Plus. Hopefully as the posts populate over time, it will give us an idea of what food we can expect to receive on upcoming flights.

To start us off, here is my own contribution:

BA287 LHR-SFO WT+ May 2016
  • Dinner: beef or chicken main with side salad, chocolate mousse, crackers and cheese, water bottle. Served with a choice of white or red wine
  • Mid flight snack box: salsa and tortilla chips, cereal bar, Lily O’Brien chocolate, bite sized cake, water
  • Second meal (served approx 90min before landing): hot folded mozzarella and pesto pizza, cake. Served with a choice of tea/coffee

BA278 SJC-LHR WT+ May 2016
  • Dinner: choice of beef or pasta main with side salad, Eli’s cheesecake, crackers and cheese, water bottle. Served with a choice of wine or red wine
  • Breakfast: hot full English or omelette with potato and tomato, yoghurt, muffin, OJ. Served with a choice of tea/coffee

Related threads:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...traveller.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-thread.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ures-here.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...od-thread.html

Globaliser May 20, 16 2:55 am

In the hope that this is not too old to be of use:

BA54 JNB-LHR WT+ November 2015

Dinner
  • Main: Grilled chicken breast with coriander sauce, roasted potatoes, broccoli florets and butternut squash or Seared AAA Karan beef fillet with coriander jus, celeriac mash, French beans, carrots, peppers and red onion
  • Dessert: Chocolate ganache cake with passion-fruit coulis

Breakfast
"A light meal will be served prior to arrival, including juice, tea and coffee"

I can't remember what the breakfast was, but I seem to recall that it was actually a hot breakfast. I do however remember the (unusually) excellent steak, and the exemplary performance of the cabin crew member that led me to have a chat with the CSM before arrival.

Prospero May 20, 16 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 26654104)
I do however remember the (unusually) excellent steak, and the exemplary performance of the cabin crew member that led me to have a chat with the CSM before arrival.

I was told the beef out of SJC is also very good - served medium rare and cuts like butter

flatlander May 20, 16 7:34 am

4 Attachment(s)
BA286 SFO-LHR April 2016

Dinner:
Salad of tomato, feta cheese with pesto, and tomato.
Choice of chicken (I think) or braised beef with roast vegetables (courgette, peppers etc) and polenta (I think, hard to identify) with gravy.
Crackers and some unmemorable cheese
Bread roll and butter
Passion fruit posset pot.

Drinks were the usual WT(+) trolley runs, red wine was drinkable, tea rationed to one cup after the meal.

Breakfast:
Orange juice (on the tray)
Raspberry yoghurt
Cooked breakfast of sausage, mushroom, tomato, bacon and some sort of strongly herbed hash brown or tomato affair (I couldn't work out what it was, but it tasted OK).

Tea and coffee were offered.

The dinner beef was low quality, fatty and flabby and the polenta stuff was odd in texture and flavour. The dinner was heavy on the cheese. I didn't eat most of it, and had I been presented with this main dish in CW I would have considered it entirely too low quality.

The breakfast was pretty good for an economy option, and far superior to the previous cold breakfast box on this route - a genuine improvement from BA.

dnajockey May 25, 16 10:37 am

BA 272 SAN LHR May 2016

Dinner

Starter of tomato and mozzarella
Main: choice of beef or a cheese/pasta/peas/mushroom dish
Desert: Strawberry cheesecake and cheddar cheese with crackers

Usual drinks trolley service, Tempranillo and Merlot reds on offer

Breakfast

Omelet or full english with juice/tea/coffee

In passing, as someone who flies WT+ usually a few sectors a year, the catering has improved considerably, not just the addition of CW main courses but other touches too, IMHO.

Prospero Jun 4, 16 10:02 am

BA28/32 HKG-LHR June 2016

Dinner

Starter:
Asian coleslaw salad with smoked duck

Main:
Pan-seared breast of chicken with café de Paris sauce, boulangère potato, braised fennel and carrots
or
Pan-seared fillet of snapper with smoked paprika and tomato sauce and steamed wild rice

Dessert:
Apple butter cake with raspberry coulis
NZ cheddar cheese with Jacob's cream crackers

Breakfast
Scrambled eggs with bacon and potato rosti
or
Cheese omelette with spinach, roast potatoes, mushrooms, and tomato

Yoghurt, muffin, OJ and choice of tea or coffee

Calum Jun 4, 16 10:27 am

BA99 LHR-YYZ May 2016

I've listed the following as Dinner and Snackbox but they are called 'Lunch' and 'Afternoon tea' on the menu card even with an 1700 departure...

The menu card also states the following flight numbers where it's used: 67, 69, 93, 95, 99, 185, 189, 203, 213, 215, 217B, 229, 239, 293, 295, 297.

LUNCH

STARTER

Potato salad with dill and smoked salmon

MAIN

Seared fillet of British beef with sautéed potato, portobello tomato and bearnaise sauce
Roasted breast of corn-fed chicken with Cheddar mash, broccoli, carrots and onion gravy

DESSERT

Chocolate pot
Butler's Secret Ceddar with crackers

AFTERNOON TEA

Light refreshments will be served prior to arrival, including juice, tea and coffee.

Prospero Jun 4, 16 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 26727691)
I've listed the following as Dinner and Snackbox but they are called 'Lunch' and 'Afternoon tea' on the menu card even with an 1700 departure...

The menu card also states the following flight numbers where it's used: 67, 69, 93, 95, 99, 185, 189, 203, 213, 215, 217B, 229, 239, 293, 295, 297.

LUNCH

STARTER

Potato salad with dill and smoked salmon

MAIN

Seared fillet of British beef with sautéed potato, portobello tomato and bearnaise sauce
Roasted breast of corn-fed chicken with Cheddar mash, broccoli, carrots and onion gravy

DESSERT

Chocolate pot
Butler's Secret Ceddar with crackers

AFTERNOON TEA

Light refreshments will be served prior to arrival, including juice, tea and coffee.

The lunch menu on your BA99 flight looks near enough identical to the dinner menu on my BA31 LHR-HKG of 31 May

Calum Jun 4, 16 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 26727740)
The lunch menu on your BA99 flight looks near enough identical to the dinner menu on my BA31 LHR-HKG of 31 May

It wasn't great but I guess they had something even worse in WT:D

Innocent Abroad Jul 17, 16 4:31 am

BA 163 LHR-TLV July 2016

1 Attachment(s)
DINNER

STARTER

Sun-dried tomatoes pasta with Parmesan

MAIN

Slow-braised Herefordshire beef cheek with celeriac mash, turned vegetables and thyme jus

Grilled corn-fed chicken supreme with tomato Parmesan risotto and sautéed asparagus spears

DESSERT

'Little pot of mango and lime'

Cheese and biscuits

highpeaklad Jul 17, 16 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad (Post 26927617)
DINNER

STARTER

Sun-dried tomatoes pasta with Parmesan

MAIN

Slow-braised Herefordshire beef cheek with celeriac mash, turned vegetables and thyme jus

Grilled corn-fed chicken supreme with tomato Parmesan risotto and sautéed asparagus spears

DESSERT

'Little pot of mango and lime'

Cheese and biscuits

Looks nice

Innocent Abroad Jul 17, 16 7:37 am

It was very tasty indeed.

godfreyb Jul 19, 16 10:07 am

On my flight JFK - LHR WT+ last Thursday the cheese was one of those soft cheese triangles you eat as a kid; coming back yesterday LGW - JFK it was actually a small piece of cheddar!

Speedbirdjclass Sep 18, 16 10:01 am

Does any one know what catering is now provided on BA 109 over night DXB in WT+ as it is 6 hrs 45 min published time assuming a basket pass and a proper breakfast or is it dinner and a basket pass before landing in the morning ?

westcoast2015 Sep 19, 16 5:01 pm

Boston to Heathrow Overnight Catering

Booked on the 22:40 overnight flight from Boston Logan to Heathrow later this week in WTP. Any ideas what catering will be like? Full dinner and breakfast? No dinner because so late and a proper breakfast? Or dinner and a light / no breakfast? We had the newly 'enhanced' snack basket on the way out as second meal, but don't know how that translates to night flights and breakfast. Thanks.

tartempion Sep 20, 16 6:11 pm

westcoast2015,

I was on 18sept YUL-LHR leaving 22.00 in WTP
full dinner 1h after take of.
Had a lousy salad, good ravioli (forgot the other choices, I was sleepy, also don't remember what desert, I guess I ate it....), also got 2 bottles of drinkable white wine and found a small bottle of water at my feet after waking up a bit.
1h before landing they came with some cake I refused (went for breakfast in T5 GF)
I did like the seats for 4h, after that got pain in the *** and could not sleep any more.
Happy to travel J on Qatar early oct.

BahrainLad Sep 25, 16 9:37 am

I'm on a LHR-JFK in a couple of weeks and fortunately have managed to avoid WTP for a few years. It's a 1805 departure. I'm not expecting much and am planning on getting a plane food picnic, but am I right in thinking the service routine will be something like

- drinks
- main meal with wine on the trolley. Hot element will be CW?
- duty free
- afternoon tea of drinks and a mini chocolate bar from the basket?

Far Siren Sep 25, 16 12:44 pm

Yesterday on BA 99 LHR-YYZ, the main meal was suspiciously missing the cheese & crackers - have they been enhanced?

The second "meal" was a snack basket with mini chocolate bars and shortbread.

Oxon Flyer Sep 25, 16 7:28 pm

West Coast USA -> LON; Sep 2016

BA48/52/194/196/218/268/282/2036/2038

STARTER
Tomato and mozzerella salad with pesto basil dressing

MAIN
Pan-roasted fillet of Midwest beef with creamy spinach risotto, roasted baby vegetables and roasted pepper demi-glace
Four-cheese ravioli with sautéed spinach, sautéed mushrooms and creamy tomato sauce

DESSERT
Strawberry swirl cheesecake

BREAKFAST
Light refreshment

Starter was OK, though tomatoes were a bit hard
Beef was lovely and tender, veg and risotto tasty, a good dish.
Cheesecake was small, thin slice, and oversweet, almost artificially so. Not very nice at all. Really needed some fresh fruit or compote to sharpen it up.
No cheese or crackers.

Breakfast was a soggy bagelly thing with a thin spread of cream cheese inside (disgusting) and a honey & oatmeal breakfast bar.

Apart from the main, very disappointing.

danboy767 Sep 26, 16 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Far Siren (Post 27261374)
Yesterday on BA 99 LHR-YYZ, the main meal was suspiciously missing the cheese & crackers - have they been enhanced?

The second "meal" was a snack basket with mini chocolate bars and shortbread.

Cheese and Crackers have certainly been enhanced along with the Pretzels to accompany drinks. Thanks to Mr Cruz!!

Egoldstein Sep 26, 16 5:56 am

Originally Posted by danboy767 (Post 27264063)
Cheese and Crackers have certainly been enhanced along with the Pretzels to accompany drinks. Thanks to Mr Cruz!!

For those of us who regularly take long haul on WT or WTP, due to company policy, cumulative enhancements have been noticeable: pretzels, cheese and biscuits, water bottle changed to cuplet, toothbrushes, second meal, yogurt on very long flights when breakfast is the second meal changed to a mini chocolate bar, tuck boxes gone from the galley.

I recently took Virgin Atlantic on a 8.5 hour flight (because it was cheapest) and was impressed that they still had virtually all of the above (including a mid-flight ice cream).

Sussex Flyer Sep 29, 16 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 27262653)
BA48/52/194/196/218/268/282/2036/2038

STARTER
Tomato and mozzerella salad with pesto basil dressing

MAIN
Pan-roasted fillet of Midwest beef with creamy spinach risotto, roasted baby vegetables and roasted pepper demi-glace
Four-cheese ravioli with sautéed spinach, sautéed mushrooms and creamy tomato sauce

DESSERT
Strawberry swirl cheesecake

BREAKFAST
Light refreshment

Starter was OK, though tomatoes were a bit hard
Beef was lovely and tender, veg and risotto tasty, a good dish.
Cheesecake was small, thin slice, and oversweet, almost artificially so. Not very nice at all. Really needed some fresh fruit or compote to sharpen it up.
No cheese or crackers.

Breakfast was a soggy bagelly thing with a thin spread of cream cheese inside (disgusting) and a honey & oatmeal breakfast bar.

Apart from the main, very disappointing.

Flew BA282 LAX-LHR last Tuesday, main meal was as above (agree with Oxon Flyer comments re beef and cheesecake). Breakfast was quite substantial, orange juice pot, choice of cheese omelette or full English (sausage, bacon, hash brown), small muffin, tea or coffee. Not bad.

Innocent Abroad Oct 11, 16 6:32 am

Sharing photos of two recent meals (BA 66 - PHL-LHR, BA165 LHR-TLV), which were great:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1q09xs.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/xoi3vb.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2zz86c1.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/vcyjrr.jpg

Edit - I was asleep when the breakfast box was handed out on BA66 so cannot comment on it.

kaka Oct 11, 16 1:53 pm

Ba31 4oct
From my hazy memory... (Im sure i was half asleep when i was eating)
Dinner
Salad
Steak w mushroom risotto
Or
Chicken w rice
Chocolate moouse

Bottled Water (the purple bottlr from the scottish mountains i think)

Breakfast
English breakfast
Chinese breakfast (congee)

ttama Oct 12, 16 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Egoldstein (Post 27264194)
For those of us who regularly take long haul on WT or WTP, due to company policy, cumulative enhancements have been noticeable: pretzels, cheese and biscuits, water bottle changed to cuplet, toothbrushes, second meal, yogurt on very long flights when breakfast is the second meal changed to a mini chocolate bar, tuck boxes gone from the galley.

I recently took Virgin Atlantic on a 8.5 hour flight (because it was cheapest) and was impressed that they still had virtually all of the above (including a mid-flight ice cream).

I spoke to a friend today who travelled BA WTP to Tobago recently with their family, and said they were extremely hungry and dehydrated by the end of the journey, not having thought they needed to bring their own supplies.

Innocent Abroad Nov 22, 16 6:20 am

BA163 (LHR-TLV), Mid December:

Starter
Kaleslaw

Main
Roasted supreme of corn fed chicken with polenta crespelle, wilted kale and baby vegetables

Grilled fillet of Atlantic cod on balsamic infused lentils with parsley potatoes and saffron cream sauce

Dessert
Little pot of chocolate salted caramel

MsCapricorn Dec 23, 16 10:03 am

First time in WTP ☹️

Travelling DXB to LHR on the 10am flight. What food will be served?

williamn78 Dec 23, 16 7:02 pm

Last time I took BA 99 (LHR-YYZ) there was no second meal at all, not even a snack, just tea and coffee and other drinks. Was starving after one meal in 8 hours.

Air Canada serves hot and quite tasty savoury wraps for the second meal (better than the sandwiches which BA used t offer)

flygirl16 Dec 24, 16 3:50 am

Originally Posted by MsCapricorn (Post 27654044)
First time in WTP ☹️

Travelling DXB to LHR on the 10am flight. What food will be served?

I was on the DXB - LHR flight earlier this month in WTP and we were served lunch just after take off then the snack box prior to arrival at LHR

MsCapricorn Dec 24, 16 3:53 am

Originally Posted by flygirl16 (Post 27657283)
I was on the DXB - LHR flight earlier this month in WTP and we were served lunch just after take off then the snack box prior to arrival at LHR

Thank you

scottishpoet Jan 15, 17 2:30 pm

BA49 Feb 15th 2017- from the pre order menu

Seared fillet of British beef with cauliflower and potato frittata, rosemary roasted carrots, herb sugar snaps and port wine sauce

British chicken and leek pie with turned caramelised swede, roast celeriac and chicken jus

Innocent Abroad Jan 16, 17 2:20 am

BA 162 (TLV-LHR), December 16

http://i63.tinypic.com/359d3xt.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ufat79.jpg

gypsyjaney Jan 18, 17 5:01 pm

Barbados

I'm flying WTP to Barbados from LGW in 2 weeks time.. Does anyone know what the food offering is likely to be? Just wondering in case I need to pack a picnic! It's the BA2155. (10.30 am). Looking forward to the new lounge ... But will make sure I only take one teabag.

britsv Jan 18, 17 6:40 pm

BA 287 LHR-SFO Jan 2017
We received an ambient snack box half way through the flight (not listed on the menu) in addition to the lunch (two choices from the CW menu) and the hot snack (pizza wrap) with tea & coffee before landing. Although the ambient snack (muffin, cheese-its, ranch dressing dip and a snack bar) wasn't great quality, we certainly got a decent amount of food in total. Is that new?

af101 Jan 27, 17 4:46 am

Does LHR-ORD count as east coast (for meal + ambient snack), or does it give something more substantial as second meal? (Looking at the midday departure to be precise)

travisw Jan 31, 17 8:55 pm

I'm taking the day flight JFK-LHR in WTP in the coming weeks. I am assuming its breakfast and then snack basket prior to arrival? Or is there a more substantial snack prior to arrival? I imagine people are hungrier on day flights than overnight, which is why I ask. Need to know whether I should pick up some things to eat at the airport, as I won't want a substantial meal on arrival. But want more than just an omelette all day. Thanks!

scottishpoet Feb 17, 17 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 27765719)
BA49 Feb 15th 2017- from the pre order menu

Seared fillet of British beef with cauliflower and potato frittata, rosemary roasted carrots, herb sugar snaps and port wine sauce

British chicken and leek pie with turned caramelised swede, roast celeriac and chicken jus

Lunch

Coleslaw with british curly kale
choice as above
chocolate and salted caramel pot

There was butter on the tray but neither bread nor rolls were available. Not really sure what the butter was for

Afternoon tea (served in snack box)
Coronation chicken sandwiches
scone with jam and cream

BA6948 Feb 18, 17 12:44 am

Originally Posted by travisw (Post 27847363)
I'm taking the day flight JFK-LHR in WTP in the coming weeks. I am assuming its breakfast and then snack basket prior to arrival? Or is there a more substantial snack prior to arrival? I imagine people are hungrier on day flights than overnight, which is why I ask. Need to know whether I should pick up some things to eat at the airport, as I won't want a substantial meal on arrival. But want more than just an omelette all day. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it is going a mars or twice bar only before landing. Before my JFK flight, I bought crisps to go with my first drink, a 1 litre of water to keep myself hydrated through the flight and a sandwich to go with the ambient snack before landing. Very poor service from BA.

scottishpoet Feb 20, 17 2:55 pm

BA294/ BA 296

Dinner
Mozzarella and tomato with pesto

Porcini stuffed breast of chicken with French beans, potato wedges, baby carrots and red wine jus
or
Spinach polenta crepes with grilled wild mushrooms and Parmesan cream sauce

Black Forrest Gateau

breakfast
cottage cheese pretzel

Globaliser Feb 27, 17 9:31 am

BA27 / BA31 LHR-HKG WT+ February 2017

Dinner
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Breakfast