Wiki Posts
Search

NBO Lounge Mini-Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
NBO Lounge Mini-Review

I note that there is no recent review of the NBO lounge anywhere I could find, and whilst I am not able to provide a ‘proper’ review and do not have photos, I thought I would at least download my own experiences at Nairobi given the limited data points. BA uses the Pride Lounge - Kenya Airlines’ premium lounge - located by Gate 17 in Terminal 1A. I must say I had very low expectations, but these were broadly unfounded.

The lounge has a nice premium feel upon entry, and the entrance leads to a variety of comfortable seating areas, some with a view of the runway. We got a good view of BA65 as it landed.

Seating was plentiful and fairly comfortable, with a variety of low seating, table seating, and a further area I didn’t explore. I saw a sign for a smoking area which is unusual. We had no issue with getting a window seat, but these were the only ones that seemed to have power points.

Food was hot buffet style, with a few Kenyan curries to choose from. There was also a pasta bar, with a chef on standby to mix up your choice of penne whatever. Also a selection of hot pizzas, which seemed to be regularly replenished. There was an excellent array of fruit, including my favourite tamarillo (tree tomato)!

Drinks were plentiful although not a huge wine selection. I had a South African Pinotage which was perfectly serviceable. No idea as to champagne. What was nice was that we were offered drink top-ups at our seat more than once.

There is a bathroom directly in the lounge, including two showers. Attendants were in the Gent’s, and towels appeared to be available

When boarding was called, about T-60, we waited for 10 minutes but then wandered down. Boarding was at Gate 14, a few minutes walk away. However, despite the two or three luggage inspections already experienced, there is a further scan at the gate and it was fairly chaotic. We ended up sitting outside the gate, as it appeared to be an un-airconditioned box in which to wait, with a slow and increasingly antagonised queue…Priority is evident, but it immediately combines with standard in the queue for the scan. Any future visit will involve staying in the lounge for much, much longer.

A Brucey-bonus, however, was Group 0 gate support: my boarding pass, scanned as Group 5 was boarding, elicited a quiet excitement followed by a very insistent gate agent taking me down the boarding queue directly to the aircraft door. I would suggest any Group 0 passengers at NBO wait to board until quite late, and embrace this service.

My sincere apologies for the lack of photos, but hopefully this empirical review will at least give some idea as to what to expect. and it was a perfectly decent experience. I’ve had many many worse ones Happy travels!
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:19 pm

Well its nice to hear that they are down to 4 security checks before getting onto the plane. Until a couple years back it would have been 5 or even 6! There used to be a checkpoint between terminal 1A and the rest of the gates as terminal 1B/C had not received a central security checkpoint at that time. So another checkpoint on the way to/from the KQ lounge.

Now if they could just get rid of gate security, having finally finished the central checkpoints, but one has to leave room to improve!

Last edited by Hudute; Apr 21, 2024 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Not related to the lounge, but does anyone know why ALL the European airlines’ departures are bunched up late at night? I have always thought that the schedule would work better if reversed (overnight out, mid morning departure back).

I could understand if one or two did it one way, and one or two did the other, but the fact that BA/LH/AF/SN/KL all do it this way round makes me think perhaps there is something airport specific?
Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand cargo plays a part in the timings. Kenya exports a huge volume of flowers and the overnight to Europe fits better with the end to end supply chain timings.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks OP. I also found it exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations a few years ago when doing LHR-NBO-CPT on KQ. Doing it again next week so good to hear still decent. Wonder if the gate chaos will apply on KQ too...
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:38 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I understand cargo plays a part in the timings. Kenya exports a huge volume of flowers and the overnight to Europe fits better with the end to end supply chain timings.
I guess so. It’s just that selfishly I would far rather have it the other way round: arrive in the morning and then head straight out on safari, and a last night in Nairobi and back in London in time for tea!
Old Apr 22, 2024, 3:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I guess so. It’s just that selfishly I would far rather have it the other way round: arrive in the morning and then head straight out on safari, and a last night in Nairobi and back in London in time for tea!
For that you need to take KQ

KQ 101 LHR-NBO 18:25d 05:00+1a
KQ 100 NBO-LHR 09:05d 16.15a
Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
NBO is a chaotic shambles but the Pride lounge is a welcome refuge. The gate security check was straight out of Monty Python. Already dreading my next trip there in a couple of months. Not a lot in the way of food in the lounge but the beer locker was stocked! I had just sat down with a cold one when my phone told me the Crowne Plaza, which I had just left, had charged me 28000 quid rather than shillings! I got it sorted fairly quickly but by then I needed more than a beer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.