Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do BA mean by "homemade"?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
What do BA mean by "homemade"?

I haven't noticed it before but on the menu for BA116 in First there are two dishes include the adjective "homemade". The fillet of beef is served with "homemade gnocchi" and the Bistro selection has "Hot chocolate with warm homemade pecan nut cookies".

Whose home are they using?
Old May 19, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I would interpret this to mean that the items are made in the caterer's own kitchens (as opposed to being bought in from an outside mass-market producer).
Old May 19, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I would just treat it as some way of convincing the consumer that the product is special.
Same sort of thing as "Aunt Bessie" or whatever farm Tesco came up with apparently etc. A branding that makes you think more of it.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:16 pm

Well they better be following the FSA's labelling laws, wherever it is made : markcritguidance.pdf

RECOMMENDED CRITERIA FOR THE USE OF THE TERM “HOME-MADE”
81. “Home-made” is a term defined very simply and specifically in dictionaries:
• made or prepared in the home; of domestic manufacture;
• made at home using traditional methods rather than by a manufacturer;
• made by oneself;
• crudely or simply made.
82. Consumers understand the term “home-made” to mean food prepared in a domestic kitchen rather than in a factory or a manufacturer’s kitchen. The use of the term, if unqualified, should accordingly be restricted to the broad criteria above.
83. In order to avoid visual misrepresentation, factory-made foods should not be shown being made in small kitchens, farmhouses etc.
84. In order to accommodate the production of meals and dishes on commercial catering premises, the term “home-made” should be restricted to the preparation of the recipe on the premises, from primary ingredients, in a way that reflects a typical domestic situation. This should not be achieved simply by the assembly of wholly pre-prepared elements, or simple reconstitution from dry base mixes, but must involve some degree of fundamental culinary preparation. As in domestic preparation, it would be legitimate for caterers to use partly-prepared ingredients that are available for domestic use; typical examples could include the use of pre-prepared raw pastry, bakery bread in desserts or stock cubes in sauces.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xenole
I would just treat it as some way of convincing the consumer that the product is special.
Same sort of thing as "Aunt Bessie" or whatever farm Tesco came up with apparently etc. A branding that makes you think more of it.
I imagine you're right and nothing to get too worked up about. After all we all know Kentucky Fried Chicken isn't produced in Kentucky.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't believe it is the case for JFK-LHR, but LHR-JFK flights are catered for by Do&Co in J and F, and Do&Co always has a lot of "home made" dishes on its menu. I think that they are exactly what they say, so when they say "home made pasta" for instance, they won't just buy barilla but instead make their own dough in their kitchen and make the pasta, and exactly the same with home made yoghurt, home made strawberry jam, etc.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I imagine you're right and nothing to get too worked up about. After all we all know Kentucky Fried Chicken isn't produced in Kentucky.
I know I'm analysing a simple remark way too much (I have time on my hands!) but unless I'm mistaken, they changed their name to KFC (as in that's the actual name, not an acronym). Though Kentucky Fried Chicken was a brand, not a statement of the origins of the food - unlike "home made".
Old May 19, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
I know I'm analysing a simple remark way too much (I have time on my hands!) but unless I'm mistaken, they changed their name to KFC (as in that's the actual name, not an acronym). Though Kentucky Fried Chicken was a brand, not a statement of the origins of the food - unlike "home made".
I think it is more to be considered "made from a recipe how fried chicken is made in Kentucky". Regions will do things different, look at BBQ in the US for example.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Name:  31b179762b6e351bbb4bb5246b3926409450fb6b4d3584b27c7326cc464e043c.jpg
Views: 3330
Size:  123.0 KB

What kind of home?
Old May 19, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Attachment 11589

What kind of home?
Is this a first class passenger trying to get his afternoon tea?
Old May 19, 2016, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

KFC (as in that's the actual name, not an acronym). .
It would be hard for KFC to be an acronym
Old May 19, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It would be hard for KFC to be an acronym
I'm confused? Thinking I was being an idiot and using the wrong word, I looked up acronym and Wikipedia says "an acronym is a word or name formed as an abbreviation from the initial components in a phrase or a word, usually individual letters (as in NATO)".

How was KFC not an acronym for Kentucky Fried Chicken?
Old May 19, 2016, 11:23 pm

A kindly Italian grandmother with her hair in a bun and flour on her apron has knocked it up on the big wooden table in her Tuscan kitchen, whilst listening to the Flower Duet
Old May 19, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
How was KFC not an acronym for Kentucky Fried Chicken?
As found elsewhere:

Correction, May 3, 2004:This piece originally referred to KFC, TCBY, ESPN and YM as acronyms. Linguistic sticklers have since pointed out that these abbreviations are not, in fact, acronyms. An acronym is a pronounceable word that consists of the first initials or syllables of the words in another phrase—think PAC for "political action committee," or snafu for "situation normal all f----d up." Only if the chicken-eating public regularly pronounced the name KFC as "kuffick" could Slate safely term it an acronym. We stand corrected. Return to the first corrected instance.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Originally Posted by henkybaby
As found elsewhere:
I just went from reading the thread with my coffee at the office still half asleep to laughing out loud.
How does a pointless discussion about "handmade" designation can transform itself to a pointless discussion about "KFC" being or not being an acronym.

That's FT & I Love it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.