BA15 (LHR-SYD via SIN) - luggage question

Old May 19, 16, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

BA15 (LHR-SYD via SIN) - luggage question

I booked a non-changable ticket MAN-LHR-SIN, the LHR-SIN leg being on BA15.

I now need to go to Australia instead so have booked an Avios ticket from SIN-SYD on BA15 (i.e for the second leg of the same BA15 flight I'm taking from London).

I need to check luggage. Had I booked MAN-LHR-SYD (LHR-SYD being on BA15) I think my luggage would have been transferred at LHR onto BA15 and not offloaded until SYD (i.e. the luggage tag wouldn't refer to SIN at all).

Will I be able to get the checkin agent in Manchester to check the bag in the same way as if I had a single BA15 booking? If the luggage tag indicates BA15 to SIN and BA15 SYD will that work?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old May 19, 16, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ManchesterMark View Post
I booked a non-changable ticket MAN-LHR-SIN, the LHR-SIN leg being on BA15.

I now need to go to Australia instead so have booked an Avios ticket from SIN-SYD on BA15 (i.e for the second leg of the same BA15 flight I'm taking from London).

I need to check luggage. Had I booked MAN-LHR-SYD (LHR-SYD being on BA15) I think my luggage would have been transferred at LHR onto BA15 and not offloaded until SYD (i.e. the luggage tag wouldn't refer to SIN at all).

Will I be able to get the checkin agent in Manchester to check the bag in the same way as if I had a single BA15 booking? If the luggage tag indicates BA15 to SIN and BA15 SYD will that work?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
It's their policy to tag it to Sydney. Whether that involves them tagging it to both SIN and SYD or straight to SYD I don't know though (what do they do for people who booked LHR-SYD on the same ticket?) - though I would have thought they can work around it if there's a technical reason why BA15 can't be on there twice.
Old May 19, 16, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I was assuming that if I'd bought a "normal" LON-SYD ticket, the luggage would simply be tagged SYD (ignoring the stop in SIN). I know that's what Qantas do where flights stop en route.

I realise that I can check luggage to the final destination across two tickets, but my real question was whether they could tag LHR, SYD which I think is correct, as opposed to having the stop included on the tag. I was thinking that it might be a problem given that I don't have a ticket straight to SYD. If it is tagged SIN and SYD on BA15, I guess it just gets offloaded and (hopefully) reloaded in SIN?
Old May 19, 16, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Coco Di Mama Premier
I am not answering from experience on this exact routing situation, but I cannot see why it would not be possible, or indeed why it would be an issue. I would not be concerned in the slightest if this was me.

Hopefully someone else with direct experience of this will be along to confirm shortly.
Old May 19, 16, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worst case the bag will be offloaded at SIN and then reloaded again. Lots of people make connections off that flight and SIN baggage handling is easily capable of making a sub-30min connection let alone the 1h30+ the 15 spends on the ground.

I very much doubt you are the first person ever to have done this too, so wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 19, 16, 4:39 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It will be offloaded at SIN and then reloaded.
Old May 19, 16, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Coco Di Mama Premier
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
It will be offloaded at SIN and then reloaded.
And in all seriousness SIN is the model of airport efficiency. They should have a slogan along the lines of "Changi. An airport run properly"!
Old May 19, 16, 4:49 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It's fabulous. Except the carpet pattern.
Old May 19, 16, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
SIN is one of the two airports where my luggage hasn't made it though (BA16-BA12 - in F!) that and MIA..

Search this Thread