Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Questions on emergency exit seats booked before aircraft change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi,

I have an upcoming HBO this Friday. I'd purchased emergency exit row seats 10E-F, as an A319 was assigned for the flight. Earlier today MyFlights alerted me of an aircraft change, as now my flight is operated by an A320. I immediately went to check if I'd been moved to row 12 or 13, but no, I was still in row 10. I tried to change my seats online but kept getting an error.

I then called the gold line, and after 20 minutes on the phone, they managed to move us. However, because the new seats were not reflected in the booking, I called again and someone explained to me that even if the booking still shows the old seats, I had been assigned seats directly on the "airport system".

Two questions here:
  1. Is it normal that BA does not move you in case of an aircraft change?
  2. What is this "airport system"? Is it FLY?

Last edited by ringingup; May 18, 2016 at 8:43 am
Old May 18, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Is it normal that BA does not move you in case of an aircraft change?

Yes
Old May 18, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Is it normal that BA does not move you in case of an aircraft change?

Yes
How annoying is that? If I hadn't checked/been alerted, I may have lost the emergency row seats then.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
How annoying is that? If I hadn't checked/been alerted, I may have lost the emergency row seats then.
If you happen to be in an exit row on a SH aircraft change, then you're unfortunately very unlikely to be moved into the new exit row. If the system can leave you where you are, it will generally do so, and focus on those passengers that it has to move (usually where seats no longer exist).

It's annoying, and you get no notification of an aircraft change, but that's how it is At least you have MyFlights
Old May 18, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA aren't psychic. There are a many reasons why you might have wanted to book 10E&F. They don't know why you booked a particular seat, for all they know you could have had a friend travelling in 10D that you wanted to sit next to. So when there is an aircraft change you will, generally, still have that seat number assigned (main exception being when the seat you booked doesn't exist on the new aircraft).
Old May 18, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Down Low
BA aren't psychic. There are a many reasons why you might have wanted to book 10E&F. They don't know why you booked a particular seat, for all they know you could have had a friend travelling in 10D that you wanted to sit next to. So when there is an aircraft change you will, generally, still have that seat number assigned (main exception being when the seat you booked doesn't exist on the new aircraft).

Emergency Row was purchased - BA charge extra for this row, customer paid the extra bit, ergo, customer wanted the emergency row. So when they change aircraft, move the person who paid extra for a emergency row to the emergency row of the new aircraft. Not very difficult and no tea leaves need to be read.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:40 am

Easyjet can manage to ensure that Customers who've paid for an exit row still get it after an aircraft change. They just get one of their Cabin Crew to direct passengers to the required row on boarding.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by mrandery
Emergency Row was purchased - BA charge extra for this row, customer paid the extra bit, ergo, customer wanted the emergency row. So when they change aircraft, move the person who paid extra for a emergency row to the emergency row of the new aircraft. Not very difficult and no tea leaves need to be read.
The customer would receive a refund of the seat selection fee.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As I recently lost 2 exit row seats due to aircraft changes it is something I have pondered and I do not know the solution

in your example. a 319 moving to a 320, exit row seats could have been made available for everyone, however had it been a 320 to 319 there would not have been, so what do they do then.

Similarly a 320 to a 321 say a group is all sitting in 11 and 12, do they move 3 to row 9 and 3 to row 23?

The principle seems to be the seat exists so you keep it.

That said, I provide my contact details so they can get in touch. I call to or a txt to inform me would be appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.