Wiki Posts
Search

Openskies 757 vs AA 777 TATL

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Openskies 757 vs AA 777 TATL

Hi folks. I'm putting together a TP run, I've a choice between the Openskies 757 Biz Bed or an AA 777 from JFK to ORY/CDG. Having looked at ExpertFlyer, it looks like 1F (which I think would be my preferred seat) on the Openskies flight is available, and pretty much anywhere on the AA flight.

Is the AA 777 much better than the BA 757? What sort of difference is there between the two in terms of the experience at the airport? Thank you!
Old May 18, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by armouredant
Is the AA 777 much better than the BA 757? What sort of difference is there between the two in terms of the experience at the airport? Thank you!
No the AA 777 could be very much worse than the BA 757, and the airport experience will almost certainly be worse on AA.

The AA 777 could well be the old 2-3-2 slopey seats, or could be the new cabin with flat-bed seats, but regardless of what it is when you book, you don't know what will turn up on the day. T8 Flagship lounge will be a zoo at that time of the evening, probably no free seats, and the usual small food buffet. Onboard AA will have a full dinner service lasting a couple of hours with all the associated light and noise, and then the lights will be left on all night on the dim setting.

The Openskies B752 is guaranteed to be a flat-bed seat, although it's the old CW with the fan dividers, its flat and reasonably comfortable. It's a sleeper service so pre-flight supper in the BA galleries lounge if you want it, otherwise finger food and soup in GF. Quick supper service onboard for those that want it, then lights out and good night everyone.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Edit: Misread destination.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks all! Is the sleeper service food in the BA lounge in NYC good, or should I plan to eat elsewhere?

Also, does anyone know how often the AA 777 is the 2-3-2 config? Thanks!
Old May 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had this exact dilemma: booked AA out from CDG so can use CX lounge and the seat map is showing the new cabin (for now). AA at T8 is also miles better in terms of immigration than T7 which can be a zoo.

But I'm returning on EC, for better lounge, pre-flight dining and guaranteed flat bed on the overnight.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all! Is the sleeper service food in the BA lounge in NYC good, or should I plan to eat elsewhere?

Also, does anyone know how often the AA 777 is the 2-3-2 config? Thanks!
They stopped the refurb totally due to some issue with the seat supplier, but I believe it's now underway again. I think I read somewhere that they aim to have all the 772s completed by the end of 2016: so with 47 772s you'd assume a fair few would have the refit by then.

On the other hand it's AA and nobody (including themselves) seem to have a clue. Although the CDG route seems to have a better chance than some others at getting the new cabin.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tions-jfk.html

There's also a review in the middle of this Trip Report by OMAAT: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...flight-dining/
Old May 20, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks - that link to the TR review is very helpful.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
As a follow-up to this thread I thought I would post some brief observations on my recent flight from JFK to ORY on BA8006 on 23rd June. Aircraft was F-HAVI and I was in seat 2F.

Overall I was very impressed. Although this is the old CW seat with the fan divider it is still very comfortable - I slept adequately, although the cabin felt a little warm.

Boarding was fine - amenity kit, water and pyjamas were already laid out on the seat although I asked for a larger size which was quickly delivered. Pre-departure beverages were quickly brought round, and there were frequent top-ups. Only three cabin crew who worked very hard, and did a good job. They had a very positive attitude, and it showed. We had roughly an hour's delay on departure owing to a very busy JFK.

The menu had a choice of options (starter, plus two main courses as well as a choice of dessert) as well as the express menu. For those (like me) who didn't dine in the lounge (as my connecting AA106 from PHX was delayed) it was pretty much a full dinner service. Starter and dessert were delivered at the same time on the tray and then the main course separately. Food was tasty - starter was salmon, main was chicken, mashed potato and cauliflower although there was also a pasta choice (ravioli) and dessert was either a yummy tart or cheese! Champagne and wines were first rate (in my view, others may have different opinions of course).

Breakfast choices were taken with the dinner order: you have the option of eating on board or getting a takeaway bag! I ate on board: juice, coffee, fruit, yoghurt and a warm ham & cheese croissant. Breakfast was more than adequate after what is a pretty short overnight flight.

Other thoughts: IFE is an iPad which I declined as I planned to sleep. Storage is a little limited, especially at the seat itself, but the overhead bins were fine especially as the BizBed cabin was only about half full. Plenty of bathroom space with one at the front and one in the middle of the plane.

Overall it was a very enjoyable flight, my first time on OpenSkies. I would definitely fly that route again. It will be interesting to see what happens when they take delivery of the 767s in the near future.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Openskies 757

I flew the Openskies 757 last year in Premium Economy to experience this airline (and get to Paris)!

I was pleasantly surprised indeed such that I would be happy to recommend it as an overnight flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.