Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Baggage] Does Priority Mean Anything in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 4:44 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC

Monday night (16th May) arrival at T5 (A) in CE.

Bags from flight took ages to appear on carousel. Once they did - and to most CE passengers' astonishment - all business/'priority' bags arrived last. Most passengers had collected theirs and had left.

Most of those sat around me on the plane were still waiting for their bags. Took me a good hour and a bit from dissembarking to collecitng my bag. They were all properly tagged as 'priority'.

Seriously though, does 'priority' mean anything these days in terms of baggage?
Old May 18, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Not in Heathrow.
I have noticed priority delivery in BRU, JNB, SFO and KUL in the last year.
Mostly travel HBO so usually I don't need to bother with checked luggage.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Yes, many threads on here about this.....
Old May 18, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by rum
Seriously though, does 'priority' mean anything these days in terms of baggage?
No.

But we'll get the usual suspects along soon to say that their bag is always first on the belt, along with their ego (sorry, priority) tags emblazoned.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:56 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Hmmm so it's Heathrow's way of welcoming you back to the UK and thanking you for flying through their airport. How nice.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Priority baggage is not a CE benefit. In fact, BA is the only oneworld carrier that does not provide priority baggage handling for status passengers: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits
Old May 18, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nux
Priority baggage is not a CE benefit. In fact, BA is the only oneworld carrier that does not provide priority baggage handling for status passengers: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits
Accepted, but why then do they still attach those bright priority labels to our baggage when not interlining? Think of all the savings they could make.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Accepted, but why then do they still attach those bright priority labels to our baggage when not interlining? Think of all the savings they could make.
Imagine the grief though... the tags if nothing else do have a placebo effect.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
It's probably cheaper than the value of the time that it would take to deal with all of the entitlement-minded passengers trying to argue with the check-in agent that they're entitled to have a priority tag attached to the bag.

Hence the common observation here: the primary purpose of the priority tags is to stop the passenger from asking for a priority tag.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was amazed when flying on JAL internationally and domestically a few months ago how quick and efficient the priority baggage delivery was. It's a shame it's not offered on BA, and i'd rather they didn't attach pointless priority tags.

It didn't work on AA for me a few weeks ago either.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Presumably they got priority loading on to the plane. Which just meant there was an obvious consequential downside for unloading at the destination airport...
Old May 18, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Last weekend we flew from MAD to LCY in CE. I was in 2D so had a good view of them loading the luggage. I was amazed to see that they carefully checked each suitcase and pulled to one side those with the priority tags. These were loaded separately and at LCY were first on the belt. I was suitably impressed.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:12 am

I had two CE flights last week, one lot tagged with orange priority, and the other (on the return) tagged with yellow first priority tags (odd as was in CE).

Both times my bags were the first to arrive (with the other priority tagged cases).
Old May 18, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
No.

But we'll get the usual suspects along soon to say that their bag is always first on the belt, along with their ego (sorry, priority) tags emblazoned.
It depends on your choice of airlines. I don't think BA have ever really pretended to do priority.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I don't think BA have ever really pretended to do priority.
Exactly, they haven't. But it still doesn't stop some on here believing they do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.