Cancelling Last Sector

Old May 17, 16, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Silver
Cancelling Last Sector

Can't seem to find info on this.
What is BA's 'no show' policy on cancelling the last leg of a booking? In this case. all flights associated with the booking have been used so the whole booking cancellation is immaterial. But is there a 'no show' fee? And if so, how early do you need to notify BA that you won't be using the flight to avoid the fee?
Old May 17, 16, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
There's a number of posts about this "hidden city" issue. In short, doing this once isn't going to likely cause you a problem. Doing it frequently will attract BA's attention. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Old May 17, 16, 8:13 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
There won't be any 'no show' fees. In fact, quite the opposite: when I first started to do hidden city trips and abandoning the last leg (also known as ex-EU on this forum as fares originating from Continental Europe tend to be much cheaper than those ex- London), I would even call BA to get the last segment refunded.

However, this forum has taught me to abandon this practice, as if you do it too often instead of a no-show fee, you run the formal risk of a fare recalculation if their airline deems you were abusing of the ticket.

This risk is much lower than in the US. By my experience and reading the collective answers on this forum, the risk is so infinitesimal that you should take it. I still do!

There is no formal need to notify the airline of your no-show on the last leg - just courtesy if that flight looks fully booked and your seat could have benefited someone else.
Old May 17, 16, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way that anybody on FT can advise you as to the risk going forward. Now that we know that BA has an entire team dedicated to ferreting out hidden city fraud, what has worked in the past may or may not work going forward.
Old May 17, 16, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
BA has an entire team dedicated to ferreting out hidden city fraud
Fraud? Oh, come now. It's impolite to accuse customers of criminal behaviour - and indeed, some governments tend towards the view that the airlines that charge more for less are on shakier ground.
Old May 17, 16, 8:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no way that anybody on FT can advise you as to the risk going forward. Now that we know that BA has an entire team dedicated to ferreting out hidden city fraud, what has worked in the past may or may not work going forward.
The OP asks a question, and the best way for them to decide whether to do it or not is to read the opinion of a selection of well travelled insiders well-versed into the practice.

'Fraud' is a bit of a strong word for what amounts at most to a minor breach of contract. Hidden city ticketing is a small way for a customer to rebalance such contract. And it is only available to a minority that has the time to do the positioning flight...
Old May 17, 16, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post
The OP asks a question, and the best way for them to decide whether to do it or not is to read the opinion of a selection of well travelled insiders well-versed into the practice.

'Fraud' is a bit of a strong word for what amounts at most to a minor breach of contract. Hidden city ticketing is a small way for a customer to rebalance such contract. And it is only available to a minority that has the time to do the positioning flight...
Often1 is a 'well travelled insider'.

There are dozens of threads asking exactly the same question. Please read those.

BA does have complicated software and a team that looks into those that drop the last sector and especially those that do it on a regular basis.

Do we really have to have the 'fraud' debate AGAIN? It' been done to death endless times and it seems like on a weekly basis.

There will be 300 posts - many saying 'I am not a lawyer' or quoting various criminal law statutes - all leading to nothing much of anything.
Old May 17, 16, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LukeO9 View Post
Can't seem to find info on this.
I'll admit to being surprised!
Old May 18, 16, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC silver
"Cancel last sector" in the search function gives 389 replies. I'd suggest if the OP cannot find anything on the subject ex-EU isn't for them.
Old May 18, 16, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I see a distinction between the two parts here. If you cancel the last sector just before departure, and it's the only sector left on the coupon, all the agent will do is refund the taxes (etc), no quibble there. If you do it in advance, that's another matter, you risk a re-price.

The other part is the Hidden City question: if you are going to get done for this, then you will get done. A big "if", about which no-one here can be authoritative. Refunding the taxes may or may not put you higher up the radar screen, but probably it's in the wash.

So personally I would cancel and see if you get a few bob back. However I would never advise anyone to drop the last sector if Hidden City pricing is in effect.
Old May 18, 16, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Can we not consolidate these speculation threads as they appear? Anything new or material can be given its own space when the need arises.
Old May 18, 16, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Recent discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ba-tp-run.html

Many more can be found by searching.

This is exactly the type of behaviour, boasting, and silly advice which will start to provoke BA to act.
Old May 18, 16, 2:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... 'Fraud' is a bit of a strong word for what amounts at most to a minor breach of contract. Hidden city ticketing is a small way for a customer to rebalance such contract. And it is only available to a minority that has the time to do the positioning flight...
Fraud is actually a very good word to describe such behaviour, the word does not necessarily imply criminal activity but wrongful behaviour that is intended to deceive in order to make a financial gain. In fact the portion of your post I've quoted is de facto a perfect example of fraud. I'm not suggesting it is criminal fraud, but it is fraud nonetheless.
Old May 18, 16, 2:17 am
JB7

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
This is exactly the type of behaviour, boasting, and silly advice which will start to provoke BA to act.
This sums up my feelings on the subject very nicely, and is something to be mindful of.

Search this Thread