Self-Upgrader Ate My Wife's Meal

Old May 12, 16, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Plus Platinum (OWE), Alitalia Freccia Alta (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
Angry Self-Upgrader Ate My Wife's Meal

Last week, my wife was flying to Madrid with my infant son on a Club Europe ticket from London City airport on a ticket that I had arranged for her.

She cannot speak much English, but she can certainly understand a fair bit.
She was seated towards the rear of the Club Europe cabin.

When the cabin crew member serving breakfast reached her, it appeared that he had run out of meals. He then went back to the front of the cabin, and asked to check the boarding pass of the woman in row 1. She showed a boarding pass for row 13, then pleaded ignorance saying she thought she was in seat 1B, not 13B. She was not sent to her correct seat, and remained in row 1 for the rest of the flight.

The cabin crew then went and found an economy breakfast for my wife, which they gave to her without attempting any explanation or apology. Given that she struggles with English still, she did not say anything or make a fuss.

Given that pretty much the only difference between business and economy class on BA (and especially a LCY flight) is the meal, I find this to be outrageous.

I filed a complaint online several days ago about this incident, but I have not heard anything at all back from them. Can I expect to hear back form them? Or do BA just not care?

Last edited by Cerebrito; May 12, 16 at 2:53 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old May 12, 16, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Of course they care and you will hear, please be patient.
Old May 12, 16, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cerebrito View Post

I filed a complaint online several days ago about this incident, but I have not heard anything at all back from them. Can I expect to hear back form them? Or do BA just not care?
Someone will be along shortly to let you know that BA will have a large backlog of cases to answer, so you can expect a hefty wait. Whether this is acceptable for you (it wouldn't be for me) is something only you can decide.

In reality, BA won't really care - because you will receive a boilerplate response. You'll be better off calling and speaking to an agent IMO.

Hope you manage to resolve it
Old May 12, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Poor that the crew didn't apologise.
Old May 12, 16, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Thumbs down

Why did the crew not check the load and quickly realise there was one two many in Club.
Old May 12, 16, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What I find extraordinary is that on the the Embraers it's dead easy to count certainly the CE cabin, probably the whole aircraft, from the front of the aircraft. If they can turf off self upgraders on 767s then I can't think of any excuse for the BACF purser concerned. I'm sorry for the OP's spouse, it's not acceptable. I would look for a return of the Avios + cash differential between CE and ET on that route.
Old May 12, 16, 2:54 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
You will hear back (eventually), but whether it deals with the substance of the issue or just skirts around it with some vague platitudes is anyone's guess.

The behaviour of the offending passenger is of course reprehensible, but we're told that the crew are on the ball when it comes to these situations and they certainly have the information at their disposal to know when someone is trying it on. On this occasion, the crew failed your wife and are responsible.

I hope that on this occasion BA are quick to respond and do so in a way that addresses the exact issue and makes amends for them not delivering the service that was expected. I'd have been livid.
Old May 12, 16, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
Last week, my wife was flying to Madrid with my infant son on a Club Europe ticket from London City airport on a ticket that I had arranged for her.

She cannot speak much English, but she can certainly understand a fair bit.
She was seated towards the rear of the Club Europe cabin.

When the cabin crew member serving breakfast reached her, it appeared that he had run out of meals. He then went back to the front of the cabin, and asked to check the boarding pass of the woman in row 1. She showed a boarding pass for row 13, then pleaded ignorance saying she thought she was in seat 1B, not 13B. She was not sent to her correct seat, and remained in row 1 for the rest of the flight.

The cabin crew then went and found an economy breakfast for my wife, which they gave to her without attempting any explanation or apology. Given that she struggles with English still, she did not say anything or make a fuss.

Given that pretty much the only difference between business and economy class on BA (and especially a LCY flight) is the meal, I find this to be outrageous.

One does wonder how many times that has worked...
Old May 12, 16, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I love the title of this thread. It is so clickable!
Old May 12, 16, 3:03 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Not good to hear, you might have better luck with the twitter team / Social media team you might get a quicker response
Old May 12, 16, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Plus Platinum (OWE), Alitalia Freccia Alta (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
I have had a few disappointing issues with BA recently, but never anything that has compelled me to make a complaint. This one really bothers me.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I would look for a return of the Avios + cash differential between CE and ET on that route.
That is what I was hoping that BA would offer once I made the complaint (it is not something that I have asked for). Am I likely to be offered this if I wait for a reply? Or do I need to start chasing them on the phone?
Old May 12, 16, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
I love the title of this thread. It is so clickable!
Yes it is good click-bait, and yet it accurately describes the problem. A long career at the Huffington Post clearly beckons.
Old May 12, 16, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Could it be that the person was given an operational upgrade and the cabin crew member gave them the meal by mistake?

Either way you should get some compensation although I wouldn't expect much. Not sure what the difference is between a ET breakfast and a CE one on a flight to MAD.
Old May 12, 16, 3:09 pm

That is what I was hoping that BA would offer once I made the complaint (it is not something that I have asked for). Am I likely to be offered this if I wait for a reply? Or do I need to start chasing them on the phone?
Unless you are running short of Avios or money, I would wait for a reply through the right channels (say a month) and if it is as silly as some of their replies - and includes the immortal phrase:

"I completely understand why you’re disappointed we couldn’t give you your choice of meal. I absolutely agree we’ve let you down...."

then ring Newcastle thereafter. You'll get added sympathy from them for any errors that come from India.
Old May 12, 16, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Could it be that the person was given an operational upgrade and the cabin crew member gave them the meal by mistake?
I don't think so.

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Not sure what the difference is between a ET breakfast and a CE one on a flight to MAD.
Checking the website now for a one way flight this Monday, the difference looks like it is about £350.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: