Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi announced on IAG airplanes

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by john205
I wonder if they'll thing about the customer service aspect of this and implement easy ways to contact them (e.g. live chat) through the WiFi system, e.g. customer contacts BA saying: "I'm on delayed flight X, connecting to flight Y and I'm not going to make it."

They could use this to appease those inflight worrying customers and improve their experience.
Why re-invent the wheel?? Blasting obscenities at them on Twitter already gets no results, so we can happily continue to do that from the air!
Old May 6, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Hopefully your mum would be sensible enough not to drink and drive
No she wouldn't drink and drive. If I told the crew not to serve her something e.g. Desert or cheese I would not be popular.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Costing will be interesting.
Writing this post from TK B777 flying IST-EZE. TK 777's (all) and A330's (most) have wi-fi that is complimentary for those in C.

Edit: just checked - it is usd 15 for those in Y. I believe AA charges usd 20 regardless of the cabin.

Sorry for a DYKWIA sort of post

Last edited by TPJ; May 6, 2016 at 8:41 am
Old May 6, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Finally! I have to say it was really nice having wifi on my recent AA flights (DFW-HKG and PEK-ORD). While slow at times, it really helped on such long flights.

I use it all the time on domestic flights in the US. I've never seen anyone doing anything stupid with it, perhaps because it's too slow for services like Skype. Either way, I find it useful, and most reasonable people understand that it's not like having a broadband connection at home or in the office, so you may be able to communicate for something urgent, or you may not.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am really happy to hear this. Nothing makes a flight fly by (ha!) better than onboard Wifi. It's been one of the best things to happen to travel in the last decade.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I fly aa a fair bit and was there when they started wifi on the md80s of all things, i really Have not found wifi to be a problem. I still tell clients and colleagues i am flying, done. I suppose social norms may soon change that, so be it, i'll just be busy working on other matters that day (such as concentrating on doing nothing) or pull the best excuse: confidentiality, you never know who is looking over your shoulder, and yup, i can see your laptop screen from the aisle seat behind you where you cant see me being nosey. People have always worked on planes, i have not noticed an increase in people working on laptops on aa - they already were, presentations, reports, documents....they do not need wifi. For those of you in Y, well, with the slimming down of seats there just isnt space to effectively do anything, so another excuse there (sorry, i'm in Y - when really you are kicking back in F). If you are a workaholic, well, you should enjoy it, otherwise get those excuses going! I'd quite like to be able to stream amazon prime etc, no difference to watching pre-downloaded content, and who knows, better wifi may even keep some of us sober in the air if we are forced to work. I can't fear progress, and wifi onboard to me is just that, even if i am too cheap to use it on aa just now!

Last edited by jcm9000; May 9, 2016 at 2:50 am
Old May 9, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
People using VOIP services has not been noticeable on any Internet-equipped aircraft I have been on. I also have to note that most aircraft are noisy enough that you won't hear someone talking more than a few seats away, and you already have the possibility that your neighbours will talk to each other for the entire flight.

You also don't have to use it if you don't want to. Demanding that IAG keep their aircraft free of Internet to satisfy your desires is a little selfish, isn't it?

The pace of IAG's rollout of Internet service is disappointing. They are entirely focused on cost, not on delivering a service - or they would be taking aircraft to have it fitted sooner than C-check. The result is that anyone wanting to use it cannot have even a good chance of having it for some years - it'll be a surprise, and get less use because of that.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have to say this topic has come up on every single BA lunch / event for their top tier customers that I've attended in recent years. The previous CEO used to preface his remarks, eyes twinkling, with "Now I know this is a bit of a mixed blessing for some of you.....". We now have a new CEO who is about 20 years younger.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We now have a new CEO who is about 20 years younger.
... and a lot greedier. Frankly, I think the question of web access has never been about trying to be nice but about whether the company believed tat the ancillary revenue pays for the equipment. The technology is now much cheaper to install as well as much cheaper to use over oceans (so that more people are likely to pay to use the service).

Side note about the announcement itself: funny to read about "IAG planes" getting wifi as all IB's A330s and most A340s are already equipped! So this is really about BA and not so much IAG.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Great news and about time.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think you're being far too pessimistic. Has there been any feedback from those who have been negatively affected by others using the service on airlines that already offer the service? I can't say I've seen any.
Agreed - posters here should remember that BA is very late to the game on this. Other airlines have had longhaul wifi for quite some time.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Writing this post from TK B777 flying IST-EZE. TK 777's (all) and A330's (most) have wi-fi that is complimentary for those in C.

Edit: just checked - it is usd 15 for those in Y. I believe AA charges usd 20 regardless of the cabin.

Sorry for a DYKWIA sort of post
I think I paid $24 last time on AA LAX-LHR. In F.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Users with iPass get access for free on AA, I would hope the same occurs when BA launch their proposition.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:05 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by gengar

Yep - TK is the only airline I know that offers free wi-fi in C. AA and EY both charge even in F. But AA at least gives you free access to aa.com so you could check the connecting gate or see if you are already rebooked, if the flight is late.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
I doubt the wifi will get fast enough to do skype or other voip... You can barely do that on the ground anyway... There's always the option for the airlines to block voip protocols... And it's no difference from the disturbance of two passengers having a loud conversations, babies etc...

I quite like being able to check emails (very slowly), plan my itinerary on the flight, do some last minute research on the net.

And as to getting away from work? You can always blame equipment failure... But I say it is quite sad that if your clients and employer cannot understand if you are on a flight and fail to answer some silly non-urgent questions immediately! Especially if they are so cheap they fly you in Y!
Old May 9, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TPJ
Yep - TK is the only airline I know that offers free wi-fi in C. AA and EY both charge even in F. But AA at least gives you free access to aa.com so you could check the connecting gate or see if you are already rebooked, if the flight is late.
IB hands in vouchers for a small amount of free wifi (equivalent to 5-10 minutes of email browsing) to J pax, which I find a perfect compromise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.