WiFi announced on IAG airplanes

Old May 6, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by EI147
Not sure what system they use, but all Aer Lingus A330s are equipped with Wifi already
Aer Lingus use T Mobile at the moment which was quite good.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think you're being far too pessimistic. Has there been any feedback from those who have been negatively affected by others using the service on airlines that already offer the service? I can't say I've seen any.

Overall, for leisure passengers as well as those less subservient to their employers this news is good news.
Publically I have no idea, but privately, yes, I do know some people who very explicitly avoid booking wifi enabled airlines (including one who flies BA very specifically for that reason!)

To put things in perspective, I have no doubt that many people will like the change, and again, in my case, the key point would be disabling VOIP which most airlines do already. There are already plenty of threads about "super important people" making half the lounge feel like killing them because of their bored and boring loud conversation in large confined spaces on the ground (lounges) for it to be very easy to see how it would translate in small confined spaces in the air.

Pessimistic is very much my nature! So far I have found it a rather good predictor in the airline industry.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:48 am

Interview with WW.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...walsh-on-wi-fi
Old May 6, 2016, 1:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
This.

My boss and I have an understanding that when I'm on a plane - it's my time. I might work - but it'll be my choice. I travel on my time, not on theirs.

I frequently travel on a sunday afternoon to ensure I'm bright and breezy on a Monday morning, I will travel back on a red eye and work the following day.

Plane time = my time.

Wifi available = people start expecting it to be their time.

If that happens - I *will* modify my travelling habits to make travelling time their time.
+1.
Not a welcomed development for me either.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally, I am delighted, I can spend more time on planes!
The mind boggles how this is possible.

Originally Posted by a330300

British Airways
Boeing 787-8/9
Slightly OT: does this mean number of 787-9s on order are still in flux?
Old May 6, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
Aer Lingus use T Mobile at the moment which was quite good.
Indeed - was excellent when I was using the T-Mobile service on JAL. Could access VPN with high speed file uploads too.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Calum
Guess the A35K's won't be delivered with wifi then?
Originally Posted by destere
Doesn't mention the 787-10s either. I'm guessing the list refers to retrofits.
The Business Traveller article upthread has WW stating that the 787-10s will come delivered, plus the 787-9s delivered next year and the A350 delivered late next year and beyond.

787-9s delivered this year will be retrofitted - and as that will be at C-check, you can imagine they will be right at the back of the queue for the retrofit.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
And how does complaining about other posters help, exactly?

Haha, thought that was the reason the Internet was invented. Thankfully now I can do it in the air as well!!
Old May 6, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
Haha, thought that was the reason the Internet was invented. Thankfully now I can do it in the air as well!!
^

I personally enjoy it when flying domestically (in the US), but the flexibility to choose if I want to connect when flying longhaul is a good thing; if I want to sleep or enjoy the IFE, I do that, and if I'd rather argue with you sorry lot, then I will do that instead (of course, you know they will block FT).

Seriously, this is not something to get one's panties twisted about. Either use it, or don't. They're late to the game in bringing this onboard, and I'm sure have lost out on some business travel because of it.

The whole "oh no, now my company will MAKE me work when flying!" crowd makes a point, but I'm sure it's just as easy to claim that it wasn't working, or the power didn't work, etc... It's actually healthy to NOT work sometimes, and good companies recognize and encourage that!
Old May 6, 2016, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had it last night, only the person concerned was the 20 year old (approx) son to his rather posh mum. "Purser, she's driving later on, replace her vodka with tomato juice". Purser did as he was told, Mum went into a sulk behind her Jilly Cooper, but still drank it.
Never seen it that way round. My mum would slap me if I did that
Old May 6, 2016, 5:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Never seen it that way round. My mum would slap me if I did that
Hopefully your mum would be sensible enough not to drink and drive
Old May 6, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Great news, can't say I accept anyone's negative arguments here ⌗BAGrumpies.

If you are travelling on your companies time and they are paying for it, why shouldn't you have to work, and in which case, that is irrespective of whether you have wifi or not. If your not on company time, then its your choice whether you work or not, should an employer wish to make you work on the plane, they should be paying for your time, if they're not, you are doing yourself a dis-service by agreeing to work for free. You take the rough with the smooth, I'm sure your happy getting free Avios and TPs from the company (and before you say it is a benefit, feel free to tell HMRC that and pay tax on that benefit).

I'm looking forward to having more connectivity onboard BA flights to use if and when I want to.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I guess I should be happy they are ditching the 321s in favor of 787/777s on the TLV route since the 321s won't get it. That said, under their current crazy fare structures, I fly mostly Easyjet to London from TLV these days.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by navylad
Great news, can't say I accept anyone's negative arguments here ⌗BAGrumpies.
I understand completely why people are happy. Too bad your ability to empathise is so underdeveloped that you can't understand why other people might think it is less desirable (for them individually).
Old May 6, 2016, 6:58 am

I wonder if they'll thing about the customer service aspect of this and implement easy ways to contact them (e.g. live chat) through the WiFi system, e.g. customer contacts BA saying: "I'm on delayed flight X, connecting to flight Y and I'm not going to make it."

They could use this to appease those inflight worrying customers and improve their experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.