Priority boarding for guest?

Old May 3, 16, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Priority boarding for guest?

I flew back to London from Geneva last night on a redemption ticket - I am a BA Gold but my wife has no status. When I got to the front of the priority boarding line the gate agent made a big statement about how priority boarding is only for the member, not the guest. I did protest, but he specifically said that she gets priority checkin and lounge access but not priority boarding. I've never had problems with bringing my wife with me to board together with any other OW flight before. He eventually allowed my wife to board with me, but is this the official policy? We were both on the same reservation if that makes a difference at all.

The website is vague - it only says you get "priority boarding" and makes no mention of guests.
Old May 3, 16, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Strictly speaking I believe the agent is correct. However, in most cases they are pragmatic and seem willing to allow it.
Old May 3, 16, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Strictly speaking this is correct, and it doesn't entirely surprise me that it was GVA which were so punctilious about this. Fast track security is for the member plus one guest. Priority Boarding is not available to guests, strictly speaking, but is widely accepted as being OK. When you see cardholders guesting extended families one does tend to wonder where the line should be drawn. We often see complaints here about Priority Boarding being larger than normal boading, and at GVA this will be particularly an issue, having one of the largest status contingents of any BA location.
Old May 3, 16, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that, it just seemed illogical for me not to allow one's spouse to board with you, especially since they are allowed to use priority check in, priority security, and lounge access. Drawing the line at priority boarding seems... odd.

But I guess BA policies are not required to be logical...
Old May 3, 16, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Good to see GVA is still enforcing correctly the new boarding policy.
Old May 3, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Guilty!

Trying to think if I've ever taken the proverbial p*** in the same way while tagging along in ET with the other half and his silver/bronze card. Yeah - serial offender...well twice I can remember but never gave it a second thought at the time. Remember the first time in the lounge at JER us both ignorantly trying to leave to board by going back into to the concourse and being "told off" by the lounge angel as "boarding is through the other door and to continue relaxing she'd let us know when it's time". Newbs! Bluebs in my case...
Old May 3, 16, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hmm, never thought about this, always brought my other half with me through priority lane. Once a member of staff told her very sharply that she was in the wrong line, but when I leaned over and waved my status he grumpily said "Well how was I supposed to know?" (fair point, as usually I hand over both boarding passes together, but he didn't need to be so sniffy about it).

Now that I think about it they would be well within their rights to turn my other half around, but I guess the prevailing practice is just to wave the +1 through.

IMHO this would be a silly thing to clamp down on. Half the point of status is to enhance your experience when you're on non-work economy trips (i.e. en familie), as a reward for all those juicy work trips you took with the airline. However, it would also be nice to have clearer rules (and enforced) rather than the current situation of an inconsistently enforced policy.
Old May 3, 16, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I rarely use it, me and lee stay in the lounge then head down as boarding has started as we usually have emergency exit rows booked.

The last time was when we were flying back from HEL and there was pretty much a full A321 of pax waiting in normal boarding line so I asked if he could board with me which was allowed.
Old May 3, 16, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've travelled a few times with low-status guests and never had a problem getting them in the priority lane, though I've always tried to make it apparent that we're travelling together to avoid any awkwardness.
Old May 3, 16, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Interesting, it never occurred to me I might not be able to guest my mother (in her 80's) into the priority (well sort of being silver).
I suppose she could always play the old and deaf card and get on before me !
<good job she doesn't read this forum 'who are you calling old' would be her response>.
I will make sure to hand both bp's in at the same time.
Old May 3, 16, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missdimeaner View Post
Interesting, it never occurred to me I might not be able to guest my mother (in her 80's) into the priority (well sort of being silver).
I suppose she could always play the old and deaf card and get on before me !
<good job she doesn't read this forum 'who are you calling old' would be her response>.
I will make sure to hand both bp's in at the same time.
If you do need to board with her your choices would appear to be:

1) request assistance at the airport if your mother's conditions warrant it
2) board with her in general boarding.
Old May 3, 16, 11:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If you do need to board with her your choices would appear to be:

1) request assistance at the airport if your mother's conditions warrant it
2) board with her in general boarding.
The usual expression is "those requiring extra time to board" when calling for pre-boarding. A lady looking to be elderly is likely to be admitted for pre-boarding on the basis that she *might* need extra time to board so I don't think there is any need for 1) or 2) in practical terms. It's not as if they would demand a proof that she'd need extra time to board or require her to have requested assistance.

If the gate agent rejects her, I'd consider him/her a bit insensitive because not everyone has immediately visible disability etc to require extra time, and I haven't come across many gate agents at all whom I'd classify as insensitive that way. They may be dragon-like guardians of priority boarding queues and may be manic baggage size enforcers but they tend to handle pre-boarders quite sensitively.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 3, 16 at 12:10 pm
Old May 3, 16, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
The usual expression is "those requiring extra time to board" when calling for pre-boarding. A lady looking to be elderly is likely to be admitted for pre-boarding on the basis that she *might* need extra time to board so I don't think there is any need for 1) or 2) in practical terms. It's not as if they would demand a proof that she'd need extra time to board or require her to have requested assistance.

If the gate agents rejects her, I'd consider him/her a bit insensitive because not everyone has immediately visible disability etc to require extra time, and I haven't come across many gate agents at all whom I'd classify as insensitive that way. They may be dragon-like guardians of priority boarding queues and may be manic baggage size enforcers but they tend to handle pre-boarders quite sensitively.
Yes, although those offering themselves up for that often find their limp or whatever condition they claim to have is magically cured by the time to get to the airbridge.

missdimeaner has only mentioned her mother is in her 80s - a fact on its own that does not really merit pre-boarding unless there is some other frailty at play, in which case if there is I am surprised they have not been taking advantage of pre-boarding already.
Old May 3, 16, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Yes, although those offering themselves up for that often find their limp or whatever condition they claim to have is magically cured by the time to get to the airbridge.

missdimeaner has only mentioned her mother is in her 80s - a fact on its own that does not really merit pre-boarding unless there is some other frailty at play, in which case if there is I am surprised they have not been taking advantage of pre-boarding already.
I find that a lot of people who would be perfectly entitled to pre-board on the basis of requiring extra time to board on the basis that their walking pace is rather slow in fact don't (maybe because they feel cheeky to ask etc, or maybe they don't realise they have slowed down etc), and it's actually disadvantageous for everyone including themselves and other passengers who end up down the aerobridge/aisle because they are moving slowly on the aerobridge or down the aisle.

I think it's best for practical reasons that those who are entitled to use priority boarding on the basis of requiring extra time to board do so.

That doesn't mean parents with 18 year old 'children' who mess about!
Old May 3, 16, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
The only logical way to board an aircraft via the front door is to board those who have seats in the rear first.
Airlines don't seem to understand this though?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: