Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Priority Bag Tags on BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Oneworld Priority Bag Tags on BA

First and foremost, I freely admit this is a minor gripe... but hey this is FlyerTalk, since when did that matter?!

Yesterday I flew out of LHR in ET with my OW Sapphire number in the booking, and I checked in and dropped my bag using a CW desk. The agent didn't priority tag my bag, and when I asked why I was told that apparently Oneworld members aren't eligible for them.

When I asked him to explain that, the agent's response was that "We have 37 SCH and GCH on your flight, we don't have space in the Priority bin to include Oneworld cases as well".

I let this go at the time, but have since reached out to BA Cust Svcs who replied saying much the same thing:

"As our staff informed you, we offer priority tagging only for our Silver and Gold Executive Club members, and passengers travelling in Club Europe or World."

Given that the Oneworld site still lists this as a benefit, are both agent's wrong or is this just another BA "enhancement"?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dakaix
First and foremost, I freely admit this is a minor gripe... but hey this is FlyerTalk, since when did that matter?!

Yesterday I flew out of LHR in ET with my OW Sapphire number in the booking, and I checked in and dropped my bag using a CW desk. The agent didn't priority tag my bag, and when I asked why I was told that apparently Oneworld members aren't eligible for them.

When I asked him to explain that, the agent's response was that "We have 37 SCH and GCH on your flight, we don't have space in the Priority bin to include Oneworld cases as well".

I let this go at the time, but have since reached out to BA Cust Svcs who replied saying much the same thing:

"As our staff informed you, we offer priority tagging only for our Silver and Gold Executive Club members, and passengers travelling in Club Europe or World."

Given that the Oneworld site still lists this as a benefit, are both agent's wrong or is this just another BA "enhancement"?
I thought the footer at the bottom said 'excluding BA' ?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld
Priority baggage handling
As an Emerald frequent flyer you will also receive priority baggage handling when travelling in any cabin on an eligible oneworld flight, giving your baggage priority handling from aircraft to carousel.. (Priority baggage handling is not available on flights operated by British Airways.)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Thanks for the quick replies! I'd been checking from the page below, where they've not listed any exclusions (as well as a typo in the spelling of Priority )

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...-platinum#tier

Ah well, you live and learn...
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
TBH even for BA card holders the "priority bag" situation is a bit hit or miss.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! I'd been checking from the page below, where they've not listed any exclusions (as well as a typo in the spelling of Priority )

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...-platinum#tier

Ah well, you live and learn...
Check here:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

or here:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:05 pm

Don't worry - the tags wouldn't have achieved much anyway!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The priority bag tags are pretty meaningless. There's really no guarantee at all that a priority bag will arrive first on the carousel. AA is far more reliable (but not perfect) in delivering priority bags first than BA is.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My experience as an OWE has always been no priority tags on BA when in Y, but my mother (OWS) was on 216 and 217 (IAD-LHR-IAD) last week and received them in both directions flying in World Traveller. I asked, and she said that she checked in at the Club desks. So, YMMV despite the policy.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by andox
My experience as an OWE has always been no priority tags on BA when in Y, but my mother (OWS) was on 216 and 217 (IAD-LHR-IAD) last week and received them in both directions flying in World Traveller. I asked, and she said that she checked in at the Club desks. So, YMMV despite the policy.
Doesn't actually change anything though - the priority coding (especially at heathrow) is coded into the barcode on the main tag.

It might help at outstations depending on how advanced their handling systems are.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

BA priority bag tags are a waste of good trees.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Was this at T5? If so, AIUI a priority tag would have achieved nothing anyway. The sorting is done automatically by the information retrieved via the bar code. A priority tag may be useful if a human is identifying the bags that need to go into the priority bin, but that is not how it works at T5.

So it's often said that at T5 the primary function of a priority tag is to stop the passenger asking for a priority tag.

I don't know what the current state of play is at T3.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:57 am

Came across this very topic in the BA Hhighlife magazine.
It clearly stares that priority baggage delivery is NOT available onl British Airways flight for Sapphire or Emerald Card holders.
So officially this only leaves it to Club and FIRST Customers, however I have mixed experiences with that too.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I thought the footer at the bottom said 'excluding BA' ?
I am curious,what is the justification/excuse for this?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
It's time for the priority tags to be enhanced. They rarely work. When the priority bags do actually arrive first I just assume it is pure chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.