Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oddity with a recent redemption

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Oddity with a recent redemption

(I would have asked this in a Q&A thread if there were one, please assume that I have already searched and have checked the dashboard for an answer to this)

I did a GGL Joker redemption the other day, 4 pax LHR-MIA-LHR in CW. I burned 2 GUF1s and GUF2 to bring the total Avios needed down to the WT+ level of 260,000 (travelling on off-peak days).

The GGL agent said she'd need to debit the regular CW cost (500,000) Avios, and that the difference would refund into my account straight after ticketing. As you can probably guess, this refund hasn't happened (yet), though my GUFs have disappeared from my account and the booking is indeed ticketed.

This is unlike any other redemption I've ever made before - no one's ever needed to take a higher amount and then pro-rata a refund. Is this new?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by opalfruit
(I would have asked this in a Q&A thread if there were one, please assume that I have already searched and have checked the dashboard for an answer to this)

I did a GGL Joker redemption the other day, 4 pax LHR-MIA-LHR in CW. I burned 2 GUF1s and GUF2 to bring the total Avios needed down to the WT+ level of 260,000 (travelling on off-peak days).

The GGL agent said she'd need to debit the regular CW cost (500,000) Avios, and that the difference would refund into my account straight after ticketing. As you can probably guess, this refund hasn't happened (yet), though my GUFs have disappeared from my account and the booking is indeed ticketed.

This is unlike any other redemption I've ever made before - no one's ever needed to take a higher amount and then pro-rata a refund. Is this new?
Haven't had that. I did a very similar redemption earlier this week, used a Joker to book 4 in CW with WTP Avios and GUF2 + 2xGUF1, and they only debited the WTP Avios (peak dates in my case).

I'll avoid the Q&A thread discussion..
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree that sounds odd, unless they were struggling with the transaction and this was the bodge-it to get the Computer Says Yes-ish. I would call after a few days to regularise the booking, I vaguely recall one experience like this which was due to non BA metal involved in the booking but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've had that multiple times. Either that, or a manual payment. Was always done immediately though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.