Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New e-gates in T3 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
New e-gates in T3 LHR

There have been a few points raised in the middle of recent threads that currently there are no e-gates working in LHR T3. There were 6 of the old sort, but they have now been decommissioned.

I've been rooting around for more details, and my understanding is that there are "about 12" e-gates under construction at T3, behind wooden boards on the left of the UK Border hall. The very tentative opening date for them, subject to some complexities on networks and testing, is that they are targetted to be open on or around 10 June 2016.

Until then all EEA and Swiss citizens will be checked manually, so you can assume on 10-15 minutes of queuing to get through. However if the experience of T5 (and T2) is repeated, once switched on the new e-gates will be a good improvement.

Previously on Flytertalk:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-t5-lhr.html
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Thanks for the info, CWS. Oh dear, this probably won't go down too well with people arriving at T3 over the next couple of months, and certainly would seem to reinforce the recommendation of taking the airside bus to T5 if you are connecting. I have a couple of T3 arrivals with the family in July so I am hoping that the new gates are OK for 12yrs+, not because we can use them but because it will hopefully ease the queues for manual immigration a bit....
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I arrived in CX j on Saturday mid afternoon, and the queues were a disgrace.

I queued for 35 minutes in the eu lane (no fast track, of course, for this humble British subject- which is a total joke). The non eu lane looked to be an hour. Apparently there were two a380s arriving at similar times?

Anyway, what was most frustrating that there was a combination of Hal staff and contractors flapping around totally failing to manage the queue effectively to the extent that the immigration managers were taking people off desks to help them coordinate the queues. It was a total farce.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had an 8am arrival into T3 on Friday and seeing the boarded up e-gates and UK/EU queue I thought we were going to be there for some time. However in contrast to the double A380 queues experienced by mentor of monty we were through in under 10 minutes (probably closer to 5) as they had 6 (SIX!) immigration desks just for EEA passports.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Oh dear, I have two T3 trips over the next two weekends :S

I hope there aren't any A380s arriving at 10pm on Sunday night!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It was a 45 minute disaster late evening coming back from HEL. And it was hot as hell too.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by mentor of monty

Anyway, what was most frustrating that there was a combination of Hal staff and contractors flapping around totally failing to manage the queue effectively to the extent that the immigration managers were taking people off desks to help them coordinate the queues. It was a total farce.
I came through a couple of weeks ago and noticed the ineptitude of the purple coated woman as well. She was literally just making it worse than if people organised themselves. Once you got past her 'assistance' it was only a 10 minute wait as the queue moved fast.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazing - who would have though the HAL and Border Force between them are incapable of managing an immigration hall.... T3 has been pretty grim since IRIS closed. Arriving in the evening peak often meant a 20-30min wait.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Amazing - who would have though the HAL and Border Force between them are incapable of managing an immigration hall.... T3 has been pretty grim since IRIS closed. Arriving in the evening peak often meant a 20-30min wait.
Back on the BA forum - welcome home, Swanhunter!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Couple of weeks ago at around 9.00 AM took about 10 minutes to clear. Not helped that there were only 3 EU desks open and one of the officers was more interested in reading some piece of paper then showed the person next to them and then something on their computer screen apparently this was so important that they both had to read it leaving only one officer to actually do some work!

BTW why is it people in specific queues where you know you need a document / pass / money do so many people NOT have the document in their hand ready?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:14 am

Just to add, it looks like a similar situation in T4 (for those who might be travelling on OW partner flights). No e-gates in use but hoarding up and will be in use shortly.

I agree with the sentiments of the purple-coated bods. Waste of space - literally with so many hanging around not doing anything. However, my recent experience with an immigration officer at LHR made up for it - she was completely lovely
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
well thankfully they take safety a lot more seriously.

Annoying as the purple bods are, safety has to be everyone's number 1 priority.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
I arrived in CX j on Saturday mid afternoon, and the queues were a disgrace.

I queued for 35 minutes in the eu lane (no fast track, of course, for this humble British subject- which is a total joke). The non eu lane looked to be an hour. Apparently there were two a380s arriving at similar times?

Why no FT?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
OH good...
I land into T3 tomorow night @ 21:30 I think (from LIS), now really looking forward to it.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Oh good grief.

I have a 08:00pm arrival from HKG coming up in a few weeks.

Can I expect a zoo then at that time ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.