FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Sydney BA check in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1760722-sydney-ba-check.html)

JAFF Apr 23, 2016 6:59 am

I'm on the SYD-LHR in J as well this Sat (BA16 all the way).

I regularly do both the 16 and occasionally do the switch to the 12. As has been said above, you won't have long at SIN; especially as the BA12 usually parks at gate 25 which is the end of the terminal, and a good 10m walk from the lounge.

However - you will get time to have a brief drink/bite to eat if you're quick.

dolfinco Apr 24, 2016 12:45 am

Just a quick update that all bags were fine and checked all the way through to LHR which was great so thanks for the comfort.

We walked fast from 16 to 12 and as we got there it was just loading so all good there.

We had a nightmare at carousel in LHR which had nothing to do with the above.

Painless otherwise.

Stez Apr 24, 2016 3:18 am

Wouldn't expect anything else. ^

Shame about the luggage collection at LHR.

Originally Posted by dolfinco (Post 26527099)
Just a quick update that all bags were fine and checked all the way through to LHR which was great so thanks for the comfort.

We walked fast from 16 to 12 and as we got there it was just loading so all good there.

We had a nightmare at carousel in LHR which had nothing to do with the above.

Painless otherwise.

Oneworldwheelsup Apr 11, 2018 4:05 am

I'm hoping I can gather some clarification on a situation I have...

I am due to travel from Melbourne to Sydney on a QF operated flight to catch the BA16 flight to London.

The QF & BA flights have been booked separately, and have have different ticket numbers. I have called Qantas and they have informed me that I cannot check in for my BA flight in Melbourne - and I must collect my luggage in Sydney Domestic, transfer to International, and wait to check in at the BA Check in Desk. However, several people in this thread seem to have had a different experience?

cysyuen Apr 11, 2018 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup (Post 29627347)
I'm hoping I can gather some clarification on a situation I have...

I am due to travel from Melbourne to Sydney on a QF operated flight to catch the BA16 flight to London.

The QF & BA flights have been booked separately, and have have different ticket numbers. I have called Qantas and they have informed me that I cannot check in for my BA flight in Melbourne - and I must collect my luggage in Sydney Domestic, transfer to International, and wait to check in at the BA Check in Desk. However, several people in this thread seem to have had a different experience?

The policy of Qantas does state that if it is on a seperate ticket, they would not interline the baggage you have or provide any missed connection protection...

Globaliser Apr 11, 2018 4:23 am

Welcome to FT, Oneworldwheelsup!

Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup (Post 29627347)

I understand QF's policy in the same way as cysyuen.

Reports in this thread of different experiences may possibly be because this thread was started some time ago, and the through-checking policies of some oneworld airlines have changed over that period.

flyingmonkie Apr 11, 2018 4:55 am

Yes this thread is outdated in several ways. The connection between BA16 and BA12 is now two hours by my understanding (and I just double checked as I'm flying it tomorrow) and yes, QF have changed their official policy but it's always worth asking. Otherwise you will need to leave and re-clear but SYD is also now a much more efficient airport, it normally takes me less than 15 mins from kerbside to lounge. If you're happy to swallow the cost ($19 ish) then the easiest way is to jump on the train, they do have a free transfer bus if you are connecting onto a One World airline though I only know this through in flight announcements and have never tried it.

Globaliser Apr 11, 2018 5:17 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie (Post 29627431)
Otherwise you will need to leave and re-clear but SYD is also now a much more efficient airport, it normally takes me less than 15 mins from kerbside to lounge. If you're happy to swallow the cost ($19 ish) then the easiest way is to jump on the train, they do have a free transfer bus if you are connecting onto a One World airline though I only know this through in flight announcements and have never tried it.

I think that the following are the options.

If bags are through-checked from MEL to LHR, then it is possible to take the free QF airside transfer bus, which QF describes as follows:-
Transferring from T2 and T3 (Domestic Airports) to T1 (International Airport):

The Transfer Lounge is located airside (after passing through the security check point), at Gate 15 in T3. A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight. The shuttle buses operate every 10-20 minutes from 6am to 9.40pm AEST. On arrival at T1 proceed up the escalator, through immigration and security to your departure gate.
If bags are not through-checked (as is likely for Oneworldwheelsup), then they must be collected at T3 and taken to T1 airside. For this, there are:-
  • [*]
  • [*]

flyingmonkie Apr 11, 2018 6:18 am

I did not know that the $17 surcharge did not apply if your just doing a Domestic / International transfer. In that case I would definitely take the train as they come about every 5 minutes. Or if you're relaxed about time then the T-Bus sounds like the best option. I would not bother with a taxi.

PAL62V Apr 11, 2018 6:31 am

The bus is easy, efficient and free. Train is a waste of money. It’s a five minute walk from the domestic arrivals to the bus area,

Pollaidh82 Apr 18, 2018 1:43 am

I'm flying BA16 in December, but currently looking for a flight into SYD from WLG, arriving about 0830ish. I'm assuming now the chances of checking bags throu to LHR from WLG on a QF flight are nil from the above chat?

David_Doyle Apr 18, 2018 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Pollaidh82 (Post 29654600)
I'm flying BA16 in December, but currently looking for a flight into SYD from WLG, arriving about 0830ish. I'm assuming now the chances of checking bags throu to LHR from WLG on a QF flight are nil from the above chat?

They're not nil. I've known a few times when agents have bags checked through from QF-BA when doing domestic-international. Just a question of asking when checking in.

Pollaidh82 Apr 18, 2018 2:05 am

Cheers david, prob travel the day before tbh and have some liesurely time in SYD instead of risking a morning waiting for check in to open. thats the way i'm leaning towards anyhows.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 18, 2018 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Pollaidh82 (Post 29654658)
Cheers david, prob travel the day before tbh and have some liesurely time in SYD instead of risking a morning waiting for check in to open. thats the way i'm leaning towards anyhows.

Just to welcome you to Flyertalk Pollaidh82, the British Airways forum and my second homeland. I can't help much with the question other than that in WLG baggage reclaim I have often seen baggage tags from LHR there, given that most passengers would be on a single booking. It's good to see you here, I hope you have a good trip in December.

Pollaidh82 Apr 18, 2018 3:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29654766)
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk Pollaidh82, the British Airways forum and my second homeland. I can't help much with the question other than that in WLG baggage reclaim I have often seen baggage tags from LHR there, given that most passengers would be on a single booking. It's good to see you here, I hope you have a good trip in December.

Thanks Corporate-wage-slave, NZ is my second homeland also, spend coupl of months a year there. Normally been a loyal CX customer but trying ClubWorld for a change. :)