Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my 23/J41 experience - BA staff travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I hate staff travel because of the uncertainty.

(i) as a junior you are probably better off earning GBP 50k+ elsewhere in London than GBP 35k plus staff travel at BA
(ii) as a middle manager you are probably better off earning GBP 100k+ elsewhere in London than GBP 75k plus staff travel at BA
(iii) as a senior manager you are probably better off earning GBP 200k+ elsewhere in London than GBP 120k plus staff travel at BA.
As a general rule I agree. I haven't met many people who can gain a mortgage on the back of staff travel remuneration. I would perhaps argue the point that I imagine it possibly to be worth £15-25K given in the first examples......invaluable for those to commute to LHR and who also lead premium cabin travel lifestyles with their familes during work holidays.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:51 pm

BA retired staff

In response to the above about the person who booked a hotline ticket because she thought she couldn't travel without her dad (a retired BA staff member)...i am retired BA staff and my daughter regularly uses my staff travel including the 'free' annual concession to travel as she works on the cruise ships. Myself, my husband and 3 children are all eligible for this concession and she has used it without me (although this means it is used up for all of us, even if only one person travels). So, I would check the eligibility again because it does sound that you are in the same position as my daughter, only you say you cannot use it...but my children can.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Rude...
One should never meet one's idols - tight t-shirt or negative [tight] t-shirt
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by kittykat68
In response to the above about the person who booked a hotline ticket because she thought she couldn't travel without her dad (a retired BA staff member)...i am retired BA staff and my daughter regularly uses my staff travel including the 'free' annual concession to travel as she works on the cruise ships. Myself, my husband and 3 children are all eligible for this concession and she has used it without me (although this means it is used up for all of us, even if only one person travels). So, I would check the eligibility again because it does sound that you are in the same position as my daughter, only you say you cannot use it...but my children can.
Are your chldren under 24?. The children of retired staff can use the benefits until 24..after that it will be staff member plus one nominee who must always travel with the staff member.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kittykat68
i am retired BA staff and my daughter regularly uses my staff travel including the 'free' annual concession to travel as she works on the cruise ships.
Welcome to Flyertalk kittykat68, welcome as well to the BA Forum. As former staff you are particularly welcome here, there are a few other regulars in that category too. So please feel free to participate here, welcome on board.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cbagent
Are your chldren under 24?. The children of retired staff can use the benefits until 24..after that it will be staff member plus one nominee who must always travel with the staff member.
This is the key point here. The child benefits up to 24yo is already an incredibly generous offer I n my view but is no doubt in place to provide provision until the nest is flown. If children are 24 or above, unless they are a nominee they don't get the entitlement. The nominees however can be changed every 6 months I believe.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
This is the key point here. The child benefits up to 24yo is already an incredibly generous offer I n my view but is no doubt in place to provide provision until the nest is flown. If children are 24 or above, unless they are a nominee they don't get the entitlement. The nominees however can be changed every 6 months I believe.
I agree with you re the 24 - its amazing though how many don't and feel its unfair!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
interestingly, as I left the CCR, the angel asked me 'are you staff' to which I replied 'no, but on a staff ticket'. she then said 'i shouldn't have let you in but made an exception' - which isn't correct.
Another GGL/CCR that has access to staff travel. The lounge angel at the CCR in JFK was actually quite correct. If you read the staff travel manual, the CCR is excluded, even if you're entitled to access by having a card.

The highest entitlement you're allowed to use is the Flounge.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
You should have come to me for staff travel! A flex of those biceps would have sorted you out...!

My free ticket went to waste this year... No time or money to use it.

Thanks for the TR though, interesting to see it from someone else perspective. I hate staff travel, never use it. Horrid "benefit", especially for junior staff. And 9 years is still very junior in BA.
Is this ‘benefit’ seniority based?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.