Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Looking for some suggestions for a week 's holiday

Old Apr 13, 16, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi folks

I need to meet my girlfriend in Southern Europe for a week in early May and ideally somewhere I can fly to in CE and she can get a flight back to Thailand directly as well.

I'm a bit stumped on this...don't really fancy Spain but anywhere else so where is decent late May?
Old Apr 13, 16, 11:37 am

Portugal should be nice by then, alternatively the further East you go should also be warming up, Cyprus is a personal favourite but many of the Greek Islands are great.
Old Apr 13, 16, 11:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes Cyprus and Malta are good offerings. Sardinia, Catania and (ok, not BA) Corsica are favourites of mine, and many of the less well known Greek Islands.

What would help is knowing what you may do in the week, lounging on a beach? Or cafés and meals (Thessaloniki, Corfu)? Or a mix (Dubrovnik or Split)? Or something more city like (Alicante, Seville)?

I suspect the prize for connectivity is IST, and if you want a city that's not a bad one at all.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I suspect the prize for connectivity is IST, and if you want a city that's not a bad one at all.

IST is a great option - although a week maybe a little long for a 'city' type break.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
What you're asking is 'what is a nice place that offers direct connections to Thailand?'.

If you mean 'non-stop', the best place is probably Istanbul. Nice city too.

The other options is 'easy transits', which I assume isn't the same as flying back to LHR with you and then to BKK. Have a look at Milan, Rome (she can fly to BKK on QR) or Venice (back with EY).

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies

Yes CWS I am concerned that a week in a city might be too much.

Personally I would like more of a beach type place...we did Malta a couple of years ago and loved it.

Really just about finding somewhere with good connections for her...I am happy to travel anywhere as long as I'm getting my tier points lol!
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Lots of easy options but what about visa issues? Assuming she is Thai (big assumption) then you have to think about UK/Ireland, Schengen, or somewhere completely different.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Cheers henky...she likes the more northern locations...are they warm enough then?

I'm in Stornoway and would like some thermals please!!
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Lots of easy options but what about visa issues? Assuming she is Thai (big assumption) then you have to think about UK/Ireland, Schengen, or somewhere completely different.

She has an Aussie passport so no issues there.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
Cheers henky...she likes the more northern locations...are they warm enough then?
Warm enough for what? She's form Thailand. Everything in Europe in May will require sweaters. No point in choosing a 'beach location' in May. Show her some culture. Mountains! Snow even. Be a romantic for Pete's sake!

How about Switzerland? She will love it. Find a good hotel with a hot spring and you're golden. Austria, Norway (fjords, man will you score with fjords...)... Iceland! Etc, etc. Forget temperature. You can heat up at night.

Has she been to your island yet? Looks amazing!
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Warm enough for what? She's form Thailand. Everything in Europe in May will require sweaters. No point in choosing a 'beach location' in May. Show her some culture. Mountains! Snow even. Be a romantic for Pete's sake!

How about Switzerland? She will love it. Find a good hotel with a hot spring and you're golden. Austria, Norway (fjords, man will you score with fjords...)... Iceland! Etc, etc. Forget temperature. You can heat up at night.

Has she been to your island yet? Looks amazing!
Ha-ha Edinburgh at 19C in June and she whinged incessantly...I don't think she is going to like anything colder...Manchester in February she found the hot tub in the Radisson and refused to leave the hotel until we went to the airport!
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, I'm biased but would suggest NCE. Great versatility and plenty of flight options to head back to Thailand afterwards as it is a large airport (plus plenty of nice flights to go there in CE including some of A321 midhaul operated). NAP and DBV would be other nice options but fewer 1-stop options to BKK.

Note that if by "late May" you mean the UK bank holiday weekend, flights from the UK will be expensive to anywhere south.
Old Apr 13, 16, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Well, I'm biased but would suggest NCE. Great versatility and plenty of flight options to head back to Thailand afterwards as it is a large airport (plus plenty of nice flights to go there in CE including some of A321 midhaul operated). NAP and DBV would be other nice options but fewer 1-stop options to BKK.

Note that if by "late May" you mean the UK bank holiday weekend, flights from the UK will be expensive to anywhere south.
Depending on dates for late May, he could be caught up in the tail end of the Film Festival or stuck for accommodation with the GP, but at least the weather ought to be good.
Old Apr 13, 16, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
For early May you're in the window where you can get a long range forecast from accuweather. I wouldn't trust it day to day but the averages might be insightful.

I can't think of a beach destination she can fly straight to so I would meet in a city for a few days and then move on. IST is appealing but maybe not that warm. Rome seems a good option if you haven't been before, then fly to Sicily or Sardinia or simply drive down to Amalfi/Ravello.
Old Apr 13, 16, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aeschylus View Post
Depending on dates for late May, he could be caught up in the tail end of the Film Festival or stuck for accommodation with the GP, but at least the weather ought to be good.
When is the Bank Holiday weekend?

Not that I am bothered by the cost particularly...but weight of traffic is always worth consideration.

Search this Thread