Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why isn't a coat acceptable as overhead baggage?

Old Apr 11, 16, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

If someone has no other carry on luggage, why should they be not allowed to put their coat in the overhead as their hand baggage?

(Further info that I've provided below)
Over zealous cabin crew who don't understand why a coat may be overhead and are too lazy to readjust it. Cabin announcements that announce all coats must be stored under your seat in front.

Flight attendant pulling coat out of locker, parading it around and announcing "whose jacket is this?", followed by a sharp and short "it must go under your seat in front of you" comment.

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Apr 12, 16 at 4:08 am
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Who says they shouldn't?
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
What makes you think it is not allowed?

The usual M.O. is to stuff them on top of the bags in the bins. It would have to be the combination of a very thick coat and a very bulky case for it not to fit.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

What is the context?
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:34 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Who says they shouldn't?
I was just about to ask the same thing!

I've never seen anyone prevented from placing a coat in the overhead bins. However, I tend to wait until my own and other passengers' luggage has been placed in and then place my coat on top. Both to maximise the space for everyone and also to stop my coat being jammed under someone's wheely bag (who know's where they've been dragging it!).
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
What is the context?
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
What is the context?
Over zealous cabin crew who don't understand why a coat may be overhead and are too lazy to readjust it. Cabin announcements that announce all coats must be stored under your seat in front.

BA chooses to have HLO fares and not patrol what people bring on board. Doesn't mean someome who has a coat as their only handheld item should be forced to shove it under the seat in front of them.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I've never ever been asked or told not to have my coat overhead, including when travelling with both a wheel on and laptop bag so taking my full share of the lockers. This includes quite a few flights to very cold places like Finland, Sweden and Denmark in winter when there would have been a maximum of thick coats on board. I have a vague recollection of maybe hearing a request over tannoy once a few years ago due to the fight being full but absolutely nothing approaching a demand.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
On most BA short haul flights I take (especially on LHR routes), the cabin crew announcements request that coats go on top of bags in the overhead. Can't recall any recent announcement asking for them to go under seats, but I guess it could happen depending on the individual crew members. I don't think you should have to put a coat under the seat, but try not to take up too much overhead space with it.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Further info : Flight attendant pulling coat out of locker, parading it around and announcing "whose jacket is this?", followed by a sharp and short "it must go under your seat in front of you" comment.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post
On most BA short haul flights I take (especially on LHR routes), the cabin crew announcements request that coats go on top of bags in the overhead. Can't recall any recent announcement asking for them to go under seats, but I guess it could happen depending on the individual crew members. I don't think you should have to put a coat under the seat, but try not to take up too much overhead space with it.
Same experience here, indeed I've seen BA staff pull coats out from under seats if it looks like it may be restricting the exit path out. The standard message certainly is "please put coats on top of bags in the overhead", which makes sense all round.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:58 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I have never experienced any such announcement ever, on any airline, anywhere.
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Further info : Flight attendant pulling coat out of locker, parading it around and announcing "whose jacket is this?", followed by a sharp and short "it must go under your seat in front of you" comment.
On the "parading" part, I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to an FA. I mean, if it was my coat that was moved, I'd definitely want to know and not simply find my coat not where I left it at the end of the flight.

Sharp and short is never appreciated and the better (and obvious) solution seems to me that it should be put it in the nearest overhead that still has some space for a coat on top of a bag. That shouldn't be too hard to locate.

All-in-all, worthy of a complaint to BA, if it's your coat, or if it simply stuck in your craw, because it sounds all a bit poor form.

(In the scheme of things in life, however, I do think it's important to recognize it as one of the more minor grievances, when you put it into perspective.)
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

And as it's a minor grievance, why waste BA customer feedback with it? Being in a window seat, my options for dealing with my coat and the staff member involved were limited. Retraining of them is required, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of proper feedback to get them trained to do what the company should be training them to do.
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:17 pm

Carry a folding carrier bag.

If challenged, whip out said bag and the coat suddenly becomes an item of luggage and therefore eligible for overhead bin space.

Search this Thread