Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why isn't a coat acceptable as overhead baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn't a coat acceptable as overhead baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
And as it's a minor grievance, why waste BA customer feedback with it? Being in a window seat, my options for dealing with my coat and the staff member involved were limited. Retraining of them is required, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of proper feedback to get them trained to do what the company should be training them to do.
I find this attitude strange. So it's a big enough issue for you to come to Flyertalk, start a new thread, explain in detail why you were so displeased, but not something you want to provide feedback to BA about.

How will BA know that "retraining of them is required" if no-one bothers to provide feedback?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by gms
I find this attitude strange. So it's a big enough issue for you to come to Flyertalk, start a new thread, explain in detail why you were so displeased, but not something you want to provide feedback to BA about.

How will BA know that "retraining of them is required" if no-one bothers to provide feedback?
I cannot recall the last time that any complaint I have read on FT on any airline with a letter sent to the headteacher, has resulted in a "retraining".

Additionally had the OP complained to BA about this then they would probably have been jumped all over on FT for wasting BAs time for something so trivial.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by xenole
Isn't putting a coat on the floor, even under the seat in front, a safety hazard?
Some coats may have sleeves etc. sticking out especially if large and if an emergency occurred, someone could easily slip/trip on that coat, more so if smoke in a dark cabin with panicking people.
You can put most any loose crap on the floor under the seat in front as far as I can tell. That's what leads to the occasional hilarity of someone's iPhone sliding the length of the aircraft when it comes out of the owners overfilled open-top handbag as the aircraft rotates on take-off.

Or free bonus alcohol in the aisles when people lose control of their duty free.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:10 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I cannot recall the last time that any complaint I have read on FT on any airline with a letter sent to the headteacher, has resulted in a "retraining".
How do you know?

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Additionally had the OP complained to BA about this then they would probably have been jumped all over on FT for wasting BAs time for something so trivial.
In which case they would also have been given a hard time here too for simply whinging, which has not been the case here.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If someone has no other carry on luggage, why should they be not allowed to put their coat in the overhead as their hand baggage?
Because a coat can be folded neatly on your lap, or placed under the seat infront, whereas a rollaboard cannot be folded neatly on your lap, or placed under the seat in front.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by gms
I find this attitude strange. So it's a big enough issue for you to come to Flyertalk, [...] but not something you want to provide feedback to BA about.

I don't find it strange at all. Within a day the OP has elicited a large number of responses, explanations, examples of differing points of view and even some direct staff feedback by coming to Flyertalk.

Let us speculate briefly what response they would have had by giving BA some official feedback or making a complaint!

I found this particular aspect of BA's customer interaction so disappointing I gave up sending feedback or complaining (or indeed completing those emailed surveys) some time ago (other than the purely transactional "This flight's points have not credited")...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms

What a great post. If I send official feedback, it will be lost, ignored, and if I'm lucky the overseas copy and paste team will tell me that they're sorry my flight wasn't up to the standard I expected, and they should do better.

That's after 10 responses back and forth to them and having to explain my issue multiple times.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because a coat can be folded neatly on your lap, or placed under the seat infront, whereas a rollaboard cannot be folded neatly on your lap, or placed under the seat in front.
....but it can be placed safely in the hold, unlike a coat.

You can make an argument either way clearly, but unless it's a mitteleurope flight in winter, I don't think it's coats that are the cause of, or solution to, hand baggage problems.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:41 am

Does not the BA on-board butler take your coat and hang it on a nice wooden hanger in the wardrobe anymore?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Given the (lack of) cleanliness of BA planes is a very regular topic I do have sympathy with the OP not wanting to put his/her coat on the floor. And a lap isn't always appropriate either if the plane is already quite warm (another regular complaint).
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The hand baggage policy on BA (and probably other airlines, although I rarely fly with anyone else) in a little unfair on passengers who travel with the minimum of hand baggage, as they have to put it under the seat in front of them, thereby restricting their own legroom.

On the other hand, those who board the plane with a couple of oversize cases on wheels and carrier bags of duty free get to put them in the overhead lockers and have nothing at their feet.

This would be much less of a problem if BA would only enforce their carry-on policy more strictly.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:42 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
You can suggest you will consider them liable for the cost of cleaning it should it get dirty or damaged on the floor...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by amt
You can suggest you will consider them liable for the cost of cleaning it should it get dirty or damaged on the floor...
What about the overhead lockers? I bet the only cleaning they get is from people's jackets and coats gathering up the dirt, fluff and dust as they go.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
USA legacy carriers often ask people to hold their coats until boarding is complete, then put them on top of luggage and other items in the overhead bins.
That's like a fact or fiction question.

I would have thought anyone who cares enough about their jacket or coat being creased or damaged would do that anyway. If I had an expensive coat from Primark and I didn't have a bag with me I wouldn't put it anywhere near the overhead locker for fear of it being damaged or stolen.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
If someone has no other carry on luggage, why should they be not allowed to put their coat in the overhead as their hand baggage?

(Further info that I've provided below)
Over zealous cabin crew who don't understand why a coat may be overhead and are too lazy to readjust it. Cabin announcements that announce all coats must be stored under your seat in front.

Flight attendant pulling coat out of locker, parading it around and announcing "whose jacket is this?", followed by a sharp and short "it must go under your seat in front of you" comment.
If the flight is full, then there isn't enough space in the overhead lockers for every passenger to store a full-size piece of hand luggage (three wheeled cabin bags placed side by side occupy more locker length than the 31 inches occupied by one row of seats below the lockers in question).

So, in order to maximise the number of pieces of hand luggage that can be stored, the crew need to ensure that anything that is small enough to go under the seat in front, does go there.

So if you had put your coat in the overhead locker in a space that could have been occupied by a piece of luggage, it makes sense for the (larger) piece of luggage to have priority. If on the other hand you had put your coat on top of a piece of luggage that was already there, I don't think you'd have been asked to move it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.