Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WT and WTP (family holiday) fare deals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
As per my post #146 I think I may have found a fare but does this fare allow the check bag x1 as OW sapphire? Also is the IB phone line fairly straightforward for booking this type of fare as google says call only.

Not a bad deal in Y at £373 each return if possible!

https://goo.gl/flights/yx136
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
@rockflyertalk, I have spent the past few days trying to find flights to the USA (a much more complicated itinerary than yours though [looking for LHR-NYC-BOS-SFO-LAX-NYC-LON]) for two weeks in February next year and I keep being scuppered by the Basic Economy tickets. Google Flights shows it nice and cheap (£299 per person at times), but then when I go to book, it is £500 per person when it is no longer a basic economy fare. (see my recent thread How to avoid Economy Basic in ITA) where some of my woes are documented.

I have to admit, I have been completely trying to avoid Economy Basic as I want to be able to check a bag (Mrs Wilsnunn cannot pack light) and pick my seats (especially if I end up on an AA flight as I find the option for MCE seats great as these are sometimes (on US domestic flights) including the Premium Economy seats.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have to admit, I have been completely trying to avoid Economy Basic as I want to be able to check a bag (Mrs Wilsnunn cannot pack light) and pick my seats (especially if I end up on an AA flight as I find the option for MCE seats great as these are sometimes (on US domestic flights) including the Premium Economy seats.
Have you tried looking for a flight and car deal through BA Holidays? Price can often be near the Economy Basic fare but with checked bag.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by lcylocal

Have you tried looking for a flight and car deal through BA Holidays? Price can often be near the Economy Basic fare but with checked bag.
Unfortunately BA Holidays online wasn't able to price it for me, and when I called up, it turned out to be more than 4 times the price of Basic Economy with AA.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Just booked LHR to SYD for £1533 in WTP for July next year on the AA website. Plenty of 1 stop options on AA website. I am going through PHX on the way out and SFO on the way back. Not the quickest way to get to SYD but price and a few extra TPs are welcome.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ouch £1550 in Y+

Would you consider starting in Europe for £600 more and going business return on Qatar?

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...11*.GBP.215611
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by IntVic
Just booked LHR to SYD for £1533 in WTP for July next year on the AA website. Plenty of 1 stop options on AA website. I am going through PHX on the way out and SFO on the way back. Not the quickest way to get to SYD but price and a few extra TPs are welcome.
So what is the actual routing then? That doesn't make much sense.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by flashware
So what is the actual routing then? That doesn't make much sense.
LHR-PHX-LAX-SYD going out and SYD-LAX-SFO-LHR on return
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Ouch £1550 in Y+
Meanwhile, back in the real world: £1,550 is a very good price for premium economy from London to Sydney and back.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, "ex-EU" is not the answer to every question.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Meanwhile, back in the real world: £1,550 is a very good price for premium economy from London to Sydney and back.
Indeed. I paid that for an economy ticket in 2002.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A random spot from an EF fare listing: LHR-JNB-LHR in WT+ for £219 + TFC.

Using ITA or ba.com, it's easy to get the next fare up in the ladder, which is £447 + TFC = ~£902 (or £936 after APD goes up). That's not a bad fare these days for JNB, and something at that level also looks to be available to CPT.

I couldn't immediately see how to get the lower JNB fare, but if it's possible to do it, then that would total something like £674 for JNB, which would be a real bargain.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
A random spot from an EF fare listing: LHR-JNB-LHR in WT+ for £219 + TFC.

Using ITA or ba.com, it's easy to get the next fare up in the ladder, which is £447 + TFC = ~£902 (or £936 after APD goes up). That's not a bad fare these days for JNB, and something at that level also looks to be available to CPT.

I couldn't immediately see how to get the lower JNB fare, but if it's possible to do it, then that would total something like £674 for JNB, which would be a real bargain.
The Black Friday sales had 2 x WTP return LHR-JNB for £1,300 total which was very good IMO, but after playing with it quite a bit to try and get CPT legs added on plus GUF it to CW, the difference between it and the AMS -CPT fare wasn’t enough to justify the GUF usage.

Pilot37
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, "ex-EU" is not the answer to every question.
I get that - but for a leisure traveller - who is not so restricted by time I suspect plenty might pay an additional £500 / £125 per sector to go from WT+ to lie flat.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pilot37
The Black Friday sales had 2 x WTP return LHR-JNB for £1,300 total which was very good IMO, but after playing with it quite a bit to try and get CPT legs added on plus GUF it to CW, the difference between it and the AMS -CPT fare wasn’t enough to justify the GUF usage.
Bingo! Thank you. This is why it wouldn't quote for me earlier: it's a companion fare. In other words, on this route it's still Black Friday. Ticket by 17 December.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I get that - but for a leisure traveller - who is not so restricted by time I suspect plenty might pay an additional £500 / £125 per sector to go from WT+ to lie flat.
Some might, some might not. I frequently do.

But £1,550 LHR-SYD-LHR in premium economy is definitely not "ouch" territory. It's actually closer to "wow".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.