Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 7 October 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

I am looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Heathrow. We have previously used the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

There may be some scope this year to try a different simulator. If some want to try a different aircraft we could potentially do a 767 or 777 simulator for those who want to try something else, and a 747 simulator. There is also the possibility of an airbus (not the A380 though) although this is a very different flying experience to the Boeings. This is just a suggestion, and it would be great to hear opinions. No one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want to try.

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be Ł1,700, and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as Ł1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of Ł1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being Ł425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay Ł1,700 so the cost per person increases to Ł567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls.

Last year we had a group of seven so had two simulators split in to a group of three (who paid a little more each) and a group of four.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around August when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of Ł3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays and the time slots available would be 0700-1100, 1100-1500, 1500-1900, or 1900-2300. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date within 3 months it would be difficult so choose what we wanted due to availability. However, beyond 3 months is much better and we should be able to book our choice of date & time. In order to do this we need to book by the end of May at the latest.

The possible dates are (updated to post #60):
  • Friday 23 September 1900-2300 - 12939, Airprox, AAtticus, csutter, Fitch, flatlander, fransknorge, GDOCP, Greenpen, KARFA, Kungpo, matthandy, NewBlue, PrimaVista - 14
  • Friday 30 September 1900-2300 - Airprox, AAtticus, BoeBus, Fitch, flatlander, GDOCP, Greenpen, headinclouds, KARFA, Kungpo, matthandy, NewBlue, PrimaVista - 13
  • Friday 7 October 1900-2300 - 12939, Airprox, AAtticus, BoeBus, csutter, FastTrak2Elite, danielbk, danielbk+1, flatlander, FlyboyStu, fransknorge, Greenpen, headinclouds, KARFA, Kungpo, matthandy, NewBlue, Toonfan - 17

See here for the groups for the five simulators.

Standby list - Soddon

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015 visit was at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 7 October 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Actually, this sounds like a lot of fun and I deserve a late birthday present, dammit

So please count me in, with a preference for dates as follows:

a. Friday 30 September
b. Friday 23 September
c. Friday 7 October

Looking forward to it already !!!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:42 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I will want to come this year after not being able last year.
The Friday 7 October is definitely the best as I know I will be in London this week-end for a Rugby match.
The 23rd September is my second preference. 30rd is not possible.

Thanks for organizing this !
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It was a lot of fun last year and I'd love to come again, but unfortunately with the price of oil the way it is this year all travel is out for me. For some strange reason the government frowns on people taking trips out of the country while collecting unemployment benefits!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
Looking forward to it already !!!
Me too. Glad to have you along Fitch.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I will want to come this year after not being able last year.
The Friday 7 October is definitely the best as I know I will be in London this week-end for a Rugby match.
The 23rd September is my second preference. 30rd is not possible.

Thanks for organizing this !
No problem. Looks like the date you can't do is the least popular so it should work out for you.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
It was a lot of fun last year and I'd love to come again, but unfortunately with the price of oil the way it is this year all travel is out for me. For some strange reason the government frowns on people taking trips out of the country while collecting unemployment benefits!
I am sorry you can't make it this year Jagboi. Hopefully you'll be back next year.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
The annual torture jcm9000 thread. Thing is, i'm working 2-3 days a week in London now. Let me scheme.....
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
For hotel, I shall probably stay in the Hilton Garden Inn as it is a convenient walk from the sim building (if you didn't come last year and did previously, remember the sims have moved and are now inside the BAEC engineering area of the airport, not at the administrative/training centre Cranebank).

One gotcha with the hotel last year is that it dropped rates nearer the event, so people like me who booked a non-refundable rate well ahead could not take advantage of that. Unless a very good non-refundable rate comes up ahead of time, I'm going to book refundable this time and cross my fingers

Now, to research some interesting airport approaches to ask for.
Funchal.A nut case friend of mine landed one there for publicity for the madeira tourist board.It was stripped out of all seats galleys etc to cut down on the weight.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
I'm only available on one date this year, but definitely in for Oct 7th.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:42 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
This sounds AMAZING! And a great opportunity to meet fellow FTers, alas it's hard to commit to it being based in YYZ. Have fun!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Far Siren
And a great opportunity to meet fellow FTers, alas it's hard to commit to it being based in YYZ.
I came from YYC last year. Definitely worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
The annual torture jcm9000 thread. Thing is, i'm working 2-3 days a week in London now. Let me scheme.....
Hopefully this year

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
I'm only available on one date this year, but definitely in for Oct 7th.
Excellent. Based on the posts so far there is a very good chance it will be that date.

Originally Posted by Far Siren
This sounds AMAZING! And a great opportunity to meet fellow FTers, alas it's hard to commit to it being based in YYZ. Have fun!
Hopefully you can make it, you would be very welcome if you do.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:32 am

If you book a 777. Ask to have a look at San Jose, Costa Rica with a departure off 07. If a 777/747 give a 'Carnarsie 13L' at JFK a go, and if a 320, FNC or INN. All good for visuals and a bit of 'real' flying.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Should be able to make it this year, after missing out last year. Flying skills no better than before though :-)

I can make October 7th.

Thanks again Karfa for all your work.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I would very much like to join. Recently did a 2 hour session in the 737NG sim in Brussels with Thundie and would love to try out the ones in Heathrow. 737NG was a lot of fun. BRU-LHR, KUL departure and engine failure and SFO take off, manoeuvre under the Golden Gate bridge and land at SFO again .

I'm not at all a professional pilot or even amateur level but this seems like a lot of fun.

All 3 Fridays would work for me.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sigwx
If you book a 777. Ask to have a look at San Jose, Costa Rica with a departure off 07. If a 777/747 give a 'Carnarsie 13L' at JFK a go, and if a 320, FNC or INN. All good for visuals and a bit of 'real' flying.
Thanks. I hadn't seen SJO before - quite a few close mountains to the east looking at the charts! Also a nice visual approach to 25. We tried the Canarsie visual for 13L last year in the 747 and it is certainly fun.

Originally Posted by Toonfan
Should be able to make it this year, after missing out last year. Flying skills no better than before though :-)

I can make October 7th.

Thanks again Karfa for all your work.
No problem Toonfan. Hopefully you will be able to make it this year. Btw watch out for flatlander, he claimed he hadn't been in a sim between 2014 and 2015, but he was excellent last year!

Originally Posted by AAtticus
I would very much like to join. Recently did a 2 hour session in the 737NG sim in Brussels with Thundie and would love to try out the ones in Heathrow. 737NG was a lot of fun. BRU-LHR, KUL departure and engine failure and SFO take off, manoeuvre under the Golden Gate bridge and land at SFO again .

I'm not at all a professional pilot or even amateur level but this seems like a lot of fun.

All 3 Fridays would work for me.
None of us are professional pilots! In fact over the last two years quite a few people who have come have had no flying/sim experience whatsoever, so don't be put off.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 12, 2016 at 9:35 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Count me in again please. All of those dates work for me.

I'd love to try flying something more modern than the 747. A 777 would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.