Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best "There, I fixed it!" on BA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Best "There, I fixed it!" on BA?

This made me chuckle last night and this morning... My lamp was stuck 'on' and this was the fix. 100% effective so can't complain..! Great crew too.

What's the best ghetto fix you've witnessed?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OttoMH

On my 747 WTP ride to JFK, the postage stamp viewer IFE was floppy and would swing down as if retracting into the seat. Cabin crew member wedged a CW menu card into the back and this stopped the flop. May also have been an attempt to rub it in, in several respects.

Standard ghetto fix on the G-GATx services is to stick an emergency procedures card into the overhead bin above 1C to prevent people from getting concussed.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OttoMH
This made me chuckle last night and this morning... My lamp was stuck 'on' and this was the fix. 100% effective so can't complain..! Great crew too.

I had that problem a couple years back on a flight from BKK, no fix though - 25,000 Avios made up for it though.

I had a cork stuck into the back of a CW screen on a recent 777 flight to DOH as it was swinging and wouldn't stay put, cork worked a treat.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
A few weeks back coming home from Singapore on the A380. Cupboard beside 1A sounded like it was going to come off it hinges and was making a racket. No chance of sleeping with it like that. A helpful CC member got towels from the toilet and stuffed up and down the door. Got the job done!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I had that problem a couple years back on a flight from BKK, no fix though - 25,000 Avios made up for it though.

I had a cork stuck into the back of a CW screen on a recent 777 flight to DOH as it was swinging and wouldn't stay put, cork worked a treat.
Whaaaat? 25k avios? That's worth nearly what I paid for the ex-DUB GUF flight! Should've done my usual British-passive-aggressive-moan!! It would've been pretty much a free flight considering my $300 card I got outbound for a bag delay! ^
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:18 am

Was a few years ago, they are much more stingy now. I didn't expect anything, I just wanted them to try and turn it off so I could sleep a bit easier which they did try to do, but couldn't and awarded me the Avios during the flight. Before devaluation too, so probably worth about 37,500 in nowadays Avios.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Years ago, two times in 'old First' the IFE screen wouldn't pop out of the side unit. Both times two crew members each armed with two forks began to wiggle the screen up from the ledge. One would use their forks to lift their side a little bit and then hold it there, and the second crew would then lift there side and then hold it in place. This went back and forth half a dozen times until they could grab the bezel and lift it up.

Brian
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:31 am

Not the best material to use if you wish to avoid heat build up in the luminaire. I hope they performed a full risk assesment prior to performing this modification.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Broken footrest coming back from BOM a couple of years ago.

First time I've ever accepted a Daily Mail when offered:

Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
A few years ago I flew MLE-LGW in WT. The latch holding the tray table was missing. Crew "fixed" it for me when I pointed it out.
https://imgur.com/a/zPKkm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On my 747 WTP ride to JFK, the postage stamp viewer IFE was floppy and would swing down as if retracting into the seat. Cabin crew member wedged a CW menu card into the back and this stopped the flop. May also have been an attempt to rub it in, in several respects.

Standard ghetto fix on the G-GATx services is to stick an emergency procedures card into the overhead bin above 1C to prevent people from getting concussed.
My OH had that happen on a 747 (sadly switched overnight from an 86J).
Despite the crews best efforts even wedging it didn't work, no seats available downstairs but off duty crew sitting on the UD, so they were asked to switch...problem solved , well for us anyway.
At least we didn't have to go 'downstairs !'
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by tomdelay
A few years ago I flew MLE-LGW in WT. The latch holding the tray table was missing. Crew "fixed" it for me when I pointed it out.
https://imgur.com/a/zPKkm
Haha

Love that! Hope you enjoyed your movie
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I had the swinging IFE in CW on DXB-LHR on Wednesday. Jamming a clear plastic drink stirrer into the hinge worked perfectly.

Wish this thread was started earlier as I would have taken a picture.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Was a few years ago, they are much more stingy now. I didn't expect anything, I just wanted them to try and turn it off so I could sleep a bit easier which they did try to do, but couldn't and awarded me the Avios during the flight. Before devaluation too, so probably worth about 37,500 in nowadays Avios.
I got 15000 avios in 2015 for the same issue (lamp wouldnt turn off in A380 F). Crew ghetto fix was wrapping a blanket round it, which only partially worked.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by henners
Broken footrest coming back from BOM a couple of years ago.

First time I've ever accepted a Daily Mail when offered:

So there is one other use for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.