BA crew upgrading a passenger on board.

Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Cabin crew do not have the authority to move anyone unless it is for commercial reasons such as service recovery, we have to complete a form on the iPad showing the reason for the seat change, only the Captain can authorise any other moves.
This may be the rule, but not all crews will follow this.

On a flight from LHR to MIA a few years ago, I was in Y on a 747 in row 28 (arrived late after enjoying some drinks in the lounge) and the guy behind me was complaining that he had sore legs and wanted the seat in row 28 as they appeared to be free until we arrived. He was asking how I managed to acquire them and how it wasn't fair he never managed to book them but me as much more able bodied did manage to book them. Cabin crew (not the CSD) moved him to CW before takeoff. Shortly after takeoff, a group of 4 guys on a stagger were also moved to CW and I overheard the CSD asking 2 members of the cabin crew why the 4 guys were moved and they didn't know.

While I appreciate that the rule is the the captain must sign off on all upgrades, from experience of the posters on this forum is that this isn't always the case. I don't doubt that the majority of CSDs/captains wouldn't allow this, there is obviously crews who don't follow the rules and won't input the move into the iPad.

I personally don't mind these things happening - I am very aware of how life works and the who you know situations, and people not taking advantage of potential discounts on goods or services because of who they know are plain stupid. If you can get something for free, then why not take it.

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Captains dog walkers friends mother's half sister I think that one was.

However, it was a pleasure to meet you.
That makes perfect sense, a shame they didn't get moved sooner!

Last edited by jamesreid978; Apr 11, 2016 at 2:11 am Reason: Stop a double post
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Any flight with me would be a great experience, I look forward to showing you to the seat on your boarding card.
I look forward to having you do so.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:08 pm
brg

This is a popular thread - 150 posts in 2 days on BA forum

On AA/UA/DL the experience is so bad everywhere it does not matter where you sit
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
My son is a good looking young man who dresses well on flights. He is often upgraded, whether on BA, VS, UA, SQ at check-in, gate, or in-flight. It's a head scratcher.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by simon1234567
No. Normal business (and life) is made up of a myriad of opportunities, all of them legal, and if I can repay a kindness, then I do.

You really have a bee in your bonnet about this, don't you? It's too much apparently for you to just accept that some people have a connection here, or there, or wherever that might help them. A kid gets a job because his dad went to school with the boss. A bloke gets his car fixed at a discount because he knows the Ford sales director. A lady gets a cheap laptop because her brother works at PC World. You never have ever been in receipt of a favour from anyone, anytime that might have been a gesture of kindness?

Take a step back, breathe, and then realise that it really doesn't affect you or anyone else.
Personally I couldn't care less either way but it sounds a bit 1980s. Do those things really happen now? IMHO companies go out of their way these days to ensure they operate in a transparent way rather than the 'friends of crew' approach.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I am sure that we all get different things out of coming on here but one of the reasons is because we all care.
I, for one, appreciate your willingness to engage here. Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
As I do ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.