Wiki Posts
Search

"I think you are in my seat"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Freccia Alta, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
"I think you are in my seat"

I returned from New York this weekend, overnight JFK-LHR on BA174.

We were delayed around 90 mins because of the weather (Not a great hardship, a few more drinks in the lounge) before boarding, but nevertheless we were relieved to be on-board and in our seats (63A/B).

I was pleased when a crew member said "Can I take your coat, Mr McNulty?" (reasons to become apparent in a moment) and settled in with my pre-flight champagne.

After about 10 mins a gentleman appeared and said to my wife "excuse me, I think you are in my seat". My mind immediately raced but then I remembered the greeting - there was no way we'd made a mistake.

We compared boarding cards and lo and behold his card also said 63A. Had BA's booking system made a mistake?!

Luckily I looked a bit closer and... his was issued for BA172, departing 30 mins later than our delayed time!

The whole encounter was pretty friendly but the guy did look a bit embarrassed. The cabin crew expressed some surprise that he managed to get through the gate check!

Has anyone else managed to board the wrong flight? How does this happen?

Outside of this fun the whole UD sleeper experience was fantastic by the way. Best way to travel.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
UD is great isn't it??
Not quite the same, but when I worked for Dan Air, there was an ABZ flight boarding at the same time as a NCL flight at LGW.
We got a message that a NCL passenger was en route on the ABZ aircraft.
I still remember the poor guy relaying his disbelief when he landed - this doesn't sound as good without doing it in a Geordie accent - "I couldn't believe my eaas when the hoastess said we'd be landing in Abadean in 20 minutes! I don't even know where Abadean is!".
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Not sure how it happened, but very poor that that someone with the wrong ticket managed to board the wrong flight. Maybe the gate agent was in a rush, and ignored the the message accompanying the "red beep". Still, it's not the first time, and not the last time this will happen.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Ciaran McNulty
Has anyone else managed to board the wrong flight? How does this happen?
It really, really, really shouldn't.

I think this incident is worthy to bring to the attention of BA and maybe even drop a line to the JFK station manager. Not because it was annoying but because it is a serious security breach. I am sure that the crew reported it as well (I hope!) but it can't hurt to do so too.

Glad it was sorted in a nice and friendly manner though. ^
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by shefgab
Not sure how it happened, but very poor that that someone with the wrong ticket managed to board the wrong flight. Maybe the gate agent was in a rush, and ignored the the message accompanying the "red beep". Still, it's not the first time, and not the last time this will happen.
This is a serious security issue. It should never happen.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 am

This is very serious. I would assume the DoT would also like to know about this.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I read an article a few years back where a passenger incorrectly boarded a BA flight to Greneda instead of her intended destination of Grenada. It was only when she proclaimed her excitement of visiting Spain to the traveller beside her that her true distination was discovered
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JPMND
I read an article a few years back where a passenger incorrectly boarded a BA flight to Greneda instead of her intended destination of Grenada. It was only when she proclaimed her excitement of visiting Spain to the traveller beside her that her true distination was discovered
If I recall correctly that issue was the passenger booking the wrong flight rather than boarding the wrong flight.

All very concerning nonetheless!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:27 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I don't think this is all that uncommon in the US, especially on domestics that depart from the same gate -- it isn't as big a security issue as it seems, since everyone's (theoretically) passed the same "security" protocols. I know this situation isn't exactly the same (same destination, different time), but it does happen.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ong-plane.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ng-flight.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ng-flight.html

It happens on BA too :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-flight.html

I've gotten on the wrong CX service BKK-HKG before, only discovered when I commented to the CSD/Purser/whatever the name is on how early we managed to finish boarding.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ciaran McNulty
I was pleased when a crew member said "Can I take your coat, Mr McNulty?" (reasons to become apparent in a moment) and settled in with my pre-flight champagne.
Wow - so you was greeted by name Why this never happens to me (apart from TK and CX flights)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It should have been picked up by the ground staff at the gate and by the crewmember when boarding, this shouldn't have happened.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Not only should this not happen, you'd expect the ground-crew at JFK to be 'switched-on' to the fact that there's multiple LHR flights leaving each evening, and so it wouldn't be surprising to have someone turn up to the wrong one, especially when there's delays and overlapping. i.e. Just because their BP is for LHR, they wouldn't automatically wave them on even when the machine beeps at them.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Many years ago I boarded a BA flight from Jersey to LHR to find someone occupying my seat (7F). When I suggested that the passenger was in my seat, she showed me her baording pass which was indeed for 7F......but on the BA flight to LGW sitting right alongside the LHR flight. She was able to get off and baord the right plane, but, as I remember, they boarded at more or less the same time from the same exit from the terminal. Can't have been the first time that happened, but obviously could not happen now as BA, to prevent such a situation occuring again, took the drastic action of withdrwawing from the LHR-JER route!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I've had this at EDI, the CC asking for Mr X to make himself known as he's on the LHR flight and this ones going to LGW. Only time I've ever seen it though.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
I was on my way to the Alps for a skiing holiday in Jan. I left from Heathrow, but my mates went from Gatters because they're South London (poor them). I received a picture message from one of them from airside in Gatwick - his boarding pass was all correct except for the destination which stated 'Bridgetown' rather than Geneva. His luggage had actually been loaded onto the Bridgetown flight, and he was fortunate to spot the error in time for them to retrieve it and sort the problem.

The thought of his skiing gear forlornly going round a baggage carousel in the West Indies still makes me laugh to this day.

He has a very common English fore- and surname. I guess that's the only way this sort of error can arise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.