Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Choose seats on Codeshare AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT

So I have booked probably 6 RT BA/AA flights over the last year. Usually MEM-DFW-LHR-TLV and back. The US domestic flight is always on AA and I can always go in and select my seat from the AA site.
I buy the tickets on BA and get an AA booking code.
However recently within the last 2 weeks I can no longer do this and I get stuck in a loop online where it says on the BA site i have to go to the AA site to pick seats and then on the AA site it redirects me to the BA site and so on.

I called both AA and BA and neither one says they can get me a seat assignment. BA says that its an AA flight so i have to get them to assign a seat and AA says since i booked it though BA that i have to get them to assign it.

Very frustrating and strange since 2 weeks ago I had no issue getting this done on the AA website.

the AA agent said since it was booked as a codeshare they can't assign seats... has anyone had this same experience or can shed some light on what is happening? Did policy change on this?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Nobody else is having this issue?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yep. I've had the same issue with a recent booking. You just get stuck in a loop. Ba's Twitter team managed to get the seats selected for me.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Yep. I've had the same issue with a recent booking. You just get stuck in a loop. Ba's Twitter team managed to get the seats selected for me.
Did you tweet to @britishairways?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Marriott Platinum
I just booked a BA codeshare on AA metal today and am having the same issue. I called BA who told me to call AA for seat assignments. I requested an MCE seat and was told that it would be free due to my OWE status but I would have to pay a $35 "external reservation fee" because the ticket was issued by British Airways there was a bit of back and forth as I told them that the AA website kept me stuck in a loop of redirecting to the BA website, but agent was having none of it so I relented and paid.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

This is something new that AA has thrown in there without telling anyone.

On the phone they told me that this is the way it is if you dont book it through american. Sounds really shady to me and another way they are trying to increase revenue.

This was not like this before and there was no announcement about any of these changes.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

I'm having same experience in my bookings with AA - but a similar one with a recent Cathay flight too!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Luckily I got in before they started this. Interesting that the loop is simply a way of extracting cash from people who book AA, but not via AA, when the third party is their joint venture partner.

I tweeted AA and they say this is waived for oneworld Emeralds as they are equivalent to Exec Plats on AA.

Last edited by Markie; Mar 23, 2016 at 12:39 am
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I reserved our seats at the time of booking and have been checking them each weekend when transferred to the AA website but now I have the same problem and get taken back to the BA website. I wonder if it is a 'glitch'.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Wonder if this has got something to do BA IT?

I have a J ticket booked on BA with codeshare from from both AA and AY - now I cannot change any seats on either. They correctly show what I reserved earlier - luckily those are good seats. Hope we will not be bumped out of earlier reservations.

Ticketed in Jan - flights in Apr.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by katie666
I reserved our seats at the time of booking and have been checking them each weekend when transferred to the AA website but now I have the same problem and get taken back to the BA website. I wonder if it is a 'glitch'.
I've noticed the same here in the past few weeks. Thankful to have had my seats requested before this glitch.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I'm getting the same thing now. I changed seats on a booking last week, but just went back in (having read this thread) and am being redirected to ba.com when I click on the seats. It's not just new bookings then. Surely this is a glitch?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

I also encountered this problem the other night for an AA flight booked through BA. Assumed it was temporary.

Combined with the exit seat problem in the other thread I can imagine the email now: "Dear member, in response to customer feedback we have decided that no seats can be selected in advance by anyone under any circumstances. Check in at the airport. Good luck!"
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:27 am

Yep, same issue, started about two weeks agaon, endless loop.

Was checking as originally the aircraft changed, AA didn't tell me and the wife and son were in rows which didn't exist on the A330. was able to change it.
They are still showing on AA site, but finnily enough on BA site I now have six seat numbers for these flights instead of three (ok on AA site though...)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:57 am
Original Poster

According to AA on twitter any ticket bought from another airline will no longer be able to choose seats prior to check in.

Unbelievable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.