Unable to Choose seats on Codeshare AA

Old Mar 23, 16, 2:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13E234 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by conklaven
According to AA on twitter any ticket bought from another airline will no longer be able to choose seats prior to check in.

Unbelievable.
If that's true it's not great news for the Joint Business Agreement. Spend years co-ordinating schedules and service offerings on key routes then p off the customers you've tried to attract.
Old Mar 23, 16, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13E234 Safari/601.1)

If that's true it's not great news for the Joint Business Agreement. Spend years co-ordinating schedules and service offerings on key routes then p off the customers you've tried to attract.
Their answer to me was that I would have to talk to a gate agent. They need to pass this along to IT.

Deep down I think its an IT issue where on March 1st the changes they put in place did something to these types of tickets. I would like to believe that the Customer Service Agents are just unaware and not the fact that these are new guidelines.
Old Mar 23, 16, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Just spoke to aa IT and according to the lady on the phone it is a glitch and they are working on a fix.
Old Mar 23, 16, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Same happened to me last night on a MAN-ORD J fare....

Rang Gold Line and they said it was an AA issue and gave me a number beginning 1-800 at which point I said "I am about 40 miles away from you in Manchester, so why are you giving me a US number".

Then proceeded to give me an 0181 number for London, so only about 10 years out of date then!

Decided to get off my own ... and looked it up on the internet - VERY friendly lovely American service and sorted in 2 mins!
Old Mar 26, 16, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Looks like it might actually be a policy change... http://milesfromblighty.boardingarea...n-a-codeshare/
Old Mar 26, 16, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
We booked J class tickets, and this should not be charged. If it's a joint venture, the seating policies should be aligned. Are they planning on handling the fix anytime soon?
Old Mar 26, 16, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
We booked J class tickets, and this should not be charged. If it's a joint venture, the seating policies should be aligned. Are they planning on handling the fix anytime soon?
I think its a new way to make money... I doubt it will be changed.
Old Mar 31, 16, 8:30 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
The problem is not fixed yet, when trying to reserve a seat on line you get in an endless loop with BA referring to AA and AA referring back to BA. The only solution seems to be to wait until check in. Nicely done by both BA and AA, they know how to upset their customers.
Old Mar 31, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Blue
I had this issue recently where a change of flight times meant that I lost my previously selected seats. After getting caught up in the endless redirect loop online, a quick Twitter conversation with BA resulted in my original seats being reserved again.
Old Apr 4, 16, 9:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
This is very frustrating. I am trying to change seats for my AA code share flight, but I am being redirected back to BA and the BA site is sending me to the AA site. Quite unbelievable if this is indeed a new policy. I am tempted to cancel the whole booking and book another ticket with Delta/Virgin.
Old Apr 5, 16, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given that we’ve had no definitive answer here I thought I'd ask our corporate TA to see if they had had any other clients with this issue and if they had made any enquiries. Despite me sending screenshots and being very specific, I got the most useless and patronising response ever. The guy said that flying BA doesn’t operate US domestics and even if it has a BA code, it is operated on AA where seat selection may be different to BA flights.
Old Apr 5, 16, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

It's such a unnecessary headache... ugh. I have like 12 RT flights this year and every time i want to make a seat change i have to ask.
Old Apr 5, 16, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by conklaven View Post
I buy the tickets on BA and get an AA booking code.
However recently within the last 2 weeks I can no longer do this and I get stuck in a loop online where it says on the BA site i have to go to the AA site to pick seats and then on the AA site it redirects me to the BA site and so on.
Still happening as of just now...

Originally Posted by conklaven View Post
the AA agent said since it was booked as a codeshare they can't assign seats...
I think this is BS as I just called AA to change a seat booked through BA. She said something about her calling the internal help desk, but after a couple minutes had it done. Checked on the AA site, and it is indeed changed.
Old Apr 5, 16, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
The same issue happened to me on a BA/AA ticket that I bought on an OTA for travel in Nov/Dec 2015. It was plated on BA, and I got stuck in this endless loop while trying to pick seats on the AA flight. If I remember correctly, I had to call AA a few times before they could select a seat for me.
Old Apr 6, 16, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i booked bwi-lhr-ath::ath-lhr-iad on an AA vacation in I class for me and wife. got a message, reserved seat assignments for $121 + $21 each way each ticket before 24 hr departure window. sent an email just inside the 24 hr window, and got a message"since 2 seats, no advance seat selection. seats will be assigned!!!"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: