Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How strict is BA regarding carry on bags in First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Need to ask you experienced BA flyers for some advice. My hubby and I are flying BUD>LHR>IAH next month on an AA award in First (neither of us are elites).

We typically travel with a rollaboard and a knapsack each and prefer to NOT check either, but it appears that our rollaboard is likely to use our entire weight allowance and our laptop backpacks are larger than the personal item bag that is allowed. However having watched a lot of video trip reports, I see folks getting onboard with what appear to be suitcases and laptop bags.

Can you advise on whether we are likely to be forced to check one or the other? The rollaboards measure 22" and the laptop backpack is also 22" tall. Since we are flying Club Europe from BUD I figure if we are going to have an issue it is likely to start there, but I also read somewhere that the overhead space on the 787-900 in First can be tight so If we need to check we can but figure maybe we can beat the crowd to customs upon arrival if we don't have to wait for the famously slow baggage claim here in Houston.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Clay
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Clay Clayton

We typically travel with a rollaboard and a knapsack
Clay
Such funny words
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Such funny words
Would backpack be better?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold

For me I normally travel with both a ruck sack for my lap top and suitcase which is just about at the maximum size , but..... I have seen much larger in both first and cw , on club Europe it's well policed but not so much on long haul
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:50 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Can you advise on whether we are likely to be forced to check one or the other? The rollaboards measure 22" and the laptop backpack is also 22" tall.
Assuming your 22" 'rollaboard' size includes wheels, handles, etc, then it is likely within the permitted size: Up to 56cm x 45cm x 25cm/22in x 18in x 10in

Your laptop backpack is significantly outside the permitted range: Up to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm/16in x 12in x 6in

Both check-in and gate staff are often proactively on the lookout for oversize bags. It sounds like your backpacks are going to be obviously oversize. So you can chance your luck, but be prepared to have to check in one bag per person.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:04 am

I find it's not an issue if your backpack is oversize so long as it is actually a normal backpack (ie not a huge traveller/military style pack) and is on your back.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Formally the carry on limits are the same for all passengers, from First to HBO EuroTraveller. There's only occasional enforcement however and it tends to be either on shorthaul or indirectly at security - some security channels simply won't scan larger bags (EDI). I see a few reports around here but in the last year I've only seen perhaps 2 incidents (AMS and DUB), so that's a very low percentage. Slightly more likely - but still very low percentage - someone boarding late into a full flight may be asked to hold check at the last moment. For all the gnashing and wailing that goes on here from time to time, mainly in the depth of winter, the overwhelming majority of flights get everyone's bags on without incident. At least that is my experience.

So I don't think you will have a problem, you won't be the worst offender since few of the second bags fit the new size limits, and it would be on the BUD sectors that it may arise. However in CE there usually is space, even if it's not directly above your head. Weight isn't an issue, incidentally, provided you can get it into the overheads yourself unaided.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
As long as the bags are within the permissible dimensions, we'll always try and make sure that we can accommodate as many bags onboard as possible. What I will say though is especially on the Shorthaul sectors, be aware that the second piece of hand luggage is expected on a full flight to go under the seat in front and that only the yellow tagged bags as a smaller item are officially guaranteed to be accepted as cabin baggage.

Anything oversized is likely to get targeted, rightly so, especially on busy flights as it compromises on time performance. Some third party handling agents are really hot on this downroute, others less so. At Heathrow the problem is so endemic to the operation that certain CSA's/CSR's in the terminal have been drafted to form the super hero sounding "Hand baggage hit squad" to target flights regularly taking delays down to hand baggage.

Last edited by Lite; Mar 21, 2016 at 1:42 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
At the risk of you coming across as a DYKWIA, if questioned at the gate over your bags, you should politely mention that you are connecting to a first class flight and explain that you believed that the rules were a bit relaxed for first class passengers (I believe they are or I wouldn't recommend this).

Other strategies I've seen posted (of varying success):

* Wear the knapsack/backpack on your back to draw less attention to your combined bag dimensions
* Board the flight right as boarding is about to close (especially if the flight is not full, there may be less scrutiny)
* If your bag dimensions are over the size limit, but are somewhat flexible in their form and not packed completely full, then perhaps they'll still fit within BA's size checking apparatus

If all else fails, and you have a sufficient layover in London, ask that they check your larger bag to London and reclaim it there and then you'll at least have it for your flight in First.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:41 am

I'd be surprised if you had issues, unless the CE flight is full.

BA did announce new hand baggage limits a few months back but there is little evidence of them being enforced.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:47 am

Knapsack is fine but rollaboard should be wheeliebag.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Boarding an actual F flight, somewhat oversize seems to get away fine and over-quantity seems fine. Plenty of people get on with a rollaboard and 2-3 other bags. There is lots of space per passenger in F except on the 747 - on the 777 and A380 you have about one large bin each.

Connecting short-haul flights can be much more tightly checked, especially if they are well known for baggage problems. "I"m in First later on the next aircraft!" does nothing to expand the bins on an A320 and the staff know that.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Such funny words
Why?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
N it appears that our rollaboard is likely to use our entire weight allowance and our laptop backpacks are larger than the personal item bag that is allowed.
You have to be able to lift that into the overhead bin yourself. If it is 32kg (70lbs) that is a potential safety issue in itself.

Also, in terms of getting ahead of immigration at IAH, don't you go through immigration before you collect your bags anyway?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Cymro
You have to be able to lift that into the overhead bin yourself. If it is 32kg (70lbs) that is a potential safety issue in itself.

Also, in terms of getting ahead of immigration at IAH, don't you go through immigration before you collect your bags anyway?
The point is that it is often five minutes to clear immigration for US citizens with Global Entry or in airports that have kiosks for everybody but then you wait 45 minutes for luggage. So if you only have a carry on (or two), it is often possible to be home relaxing before the first bags are even on the carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.