Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which is more important Tier Point/Avios acquisition or Comfort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

Hi all,

I've read quite a few Trip reports enough to influence my decision on which are the best flights to use (Qatar for my 2015 Christmas trip to India) and (AA, BA) for my upcoming Hawaii trip in two weeks!!

I'd be interested to know from the forum which is more important to you, Comfort (that is to include flight times!!) or TP/Avios acquisition?

Personally, comfort is numero uno. For my HNL/Kona trip I'm using the A380 from LHR to LAX (DUB-LHR and with the exception of my return flight LAX-LHR (AA 777) all flights are "daytime" (A321 sharklets).

I could have done the "triple hop" as I call it; Dublin, Phili (cant remember the airport code), LAX/PHX, HNL but didn't like the idea of being bleary eyed from Phoenix to the east coast after an overnighter from HNL!!

ML
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
The comfort that comes out of optimised work and leisure related TP/Avios acquisition.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Minimum time spent in metal tube and concrete/steel box at either end. Most FF benefits can be enjoyed by purchasing the appropriate ticket.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:28 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Comfort, without a doubt.

Which would make Eurostar the best option for the majority of my travel these days.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Comfort first. I get short term comfort with the right chic or airline, airport and cabin and long term comfort by acquiring TPs to retain the shiny card
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL

You will get varying answers.

Business travellers like non-stops.

Leisure travellers are happier to break their journey en route if it give more TPs, more champagne or simply a night in a different city.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

The most important thing to me is neither. It's the quality and variety of aircraft I can fit into an itinerary.

This summer I'm travelling in the USA. My itinerary will include a Boeing 787-9 and 787-8, an Embraer 175, a Boeing 717, an MD-88, a Cessna Caravan, a Pilatus PC-12, a Boeing 767-300, a Boeing 737-800, a Boeing 777-200, an Airbus A380, an Airbus A319, and an Embraer 145.

All in F where applicable of course!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:57 am

About equal for me. Comfort is important but so is the lounge access status brings. A lot of my flying is economy around Asia and in many places while the lounges are not great, they're a lot better than the rest of the terminal.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
It's a trade-off. I jumped on the ex-OSL fares last year, and knowing that I'd struggle to renew GGL (and the two GUF1s at 3500) with direct flights decided to go OSL-LHR-BOS-LAX-SFO - but now that I've got that 'banked' I can stick to more convenient routings. I lose part of a morning on the way out and half a day on the way back, but the FF upside outweighs comfort factors (I do have LAX-JFK in F on return which helps). Meant I could do BGO-LHR-SEA later on

That being said, next year I think I'll be well short of GGL so unlikely to do anything similar.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'm surprised to see so many east-west coast hops in domestic first for 210 TP. I've always sacrificed the 70 and gone JFK-LAX in the lie flat business class. It's a great seat and for nearly six hours worth losing the 70. Unless actively chasing lifetime, I wouldn't go for the 210 routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.