Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLounge wifi blocking FT?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I know that ABeautifulPlaceInThe is right, yet I use precious few of his recommendations. It's an effort vs risk assessment for me. I change my passwords a lot more often though and I do use a VPN on public networks.

I think that ABeautifulPlaceInThe may suffer from professional deformation (I hope this Dutch expression translates well to English) but most people will simply not be as aware or worried.

If I had a ton of highly sensitive information on my laptop I would certainly ask advice from an expert though.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
This is all very nice, but I don't think that 99% of computer users would know what you are talking about with Bitlocker and Privacy Badgers, etc...

Oh, and you're not allowed to recommend Ad Blockers on FT .
And here lies the problem, and what keeps me in business as a security crisis consultant to retail banks, investment banks & telcos.

K, removed.

Edit: The computer users that do not understand what I am talking about and have teenagers can ask them, most will understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited by ABeautifulPlaceInThe; Mar 16, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I know that ABeautifulPlaceInThe is right, yet I use precious few of his recommendations. It's an effort vs risk assessment for me. I change my passwords a lot more often though and I do use a VPN on public networks.

I think that ABeautifulPlaceInThe may suffer from professional deformation (I hope this Dutch expression translates well to English) but most people will simply not be as aware or worried.

If I had a ton of highly sensitive information on my laptop I would certainly ask advice from an expert though.

Henky, when you buy me that meal & beer you owe me for sending me on the worlds most ridiculous TP run I'll show you a few of your passwords.

Then I suggest they get hooked up with red24's Identity Theft & Kidnap Ransom Extortion (KRE) insurance, or get it for free from HSBC HNW by doing security consultancy.

Edit: Henky, they mostly don't want access to the sensitive documents on your laptop (although I have worked on a number of corporate espionage cases, malicious hacking for the sake of it, and just people exploring because it is visible), they want your credentials & ultimately your identity.

Last edited by ABeautifulPlaceInThe; Mar 16, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ABeautifulPlaceInThe
Henky, when you buy me that meal & beer you owe me for sending me on the worlds most ridiculous TP run I'll show you a few of your passwords.
It's a deal. I am sure if we knew how vulnerable we really are, we would not sleep well. We invest loads of money in home and car alarm systems, yet we are lacks about our digital existence.

I agree that spending a few quid on tools and maybe even advice on protecting your digital identity is wise and maybe very normal in the (near) future.

Soon you will have enough time in a recliner seat to write several essays about it. Look forward to reading them, while you hack my passwords over that beer. ^
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Change your settings to use public google DNS rather than rely on openDNS.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the servers you want.
Thanks Stuart

I take no responsibility for the rest of this thread!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by njf63
Can't detect either of those in the post above - care to elaborate ??
They claimed it was a BA policy to block Flyertalk, which it obviously isn't as it makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Lobengula
I doubt that flyertalk.com is intentionally blocked, more likely an effect of some automatic trigger and false alarm. This isn't the first time flyertalk.com is blocked, I have experienced it a few years ago in F-lounge.

Just report it and let the IT-people adjust whatever system is involved.

Perhaps it is because Revenue Management have asked them to following the gold rush of Henkybaby's recent posting activity in the TP run thread?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Some good information here. Some common sense, and some - well maybe not as worrisome.

In any event, I have been using wifi in lounges and hotels for years. So far, I am good, but getting more and more concerned.

Traveling with iPad and iPhone. Suggestions for VPN apps we should look at?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Some good information here. Some common sense, and some - well maybe not as worrisome.

In any event, I have been using wifi in lounges and hotels for years. So far, I am good, but getting more and more concerned.

Tunnelbear is a very popular & highly rated VPN app for iPad & iPhones

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/long-te...-vpn-services/
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'd be interested in the thoughts of others, but I've settled on a VPN back to my home router than can only see outwards, so not a way into my home network. Quite a few home or small business devices will let you do this. Browsing and other activities can be affected by the consumer grade network to home and back, but its generally usable.

As discussed above I don't use it for most browsing, but for anything that likes me to be at home I can fire it up.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'd be interested in the thoughts of others, but I've settled on a VPN back to my home router than can only see outwards, so not a way into my home network. Quite a few home or small business devices will let you do this. Browsing and other activities can be affected by the consumer grade network to home and back, but its generally usable.

As discussed above I don't use it for most browsing, but for anything that likes me to be at home I can fire it up.
A very good choice if you know what you are doing and are using something along the lines of OpenSSL or better IPSEC with AES. If you are doing it I would highly recommend installing dd-wrt on the home router as many stock router OSes can be compromised quite easily.

For ADSL users this can have quite a big performance hit, due to the Asynchronous bandwidth of ADSL. On cable, SDSL or fibre it works a charm.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
On a happier note, I'm in Galleries South tonight (again) and the wifi is working fine for FT.

I just arrived from Oslo and will be boarding a flight to Sydney later this evening. The entire row in front of me on my OSL-LHR seem to be FTers. Two were also on their way to Sydney and one was just arriving back in London after his last positioning flight back from Oslo (and Sydney). Even the crew commented on how lots of people seemed to be flying to Aus via Oslo. A couple of Norwegians looked very bemused ;-)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

I started using vyprvpn a while back, as it's supposed to work decently in China also. I pretty much use a VPN, firewall, disable Bluetooth, disable LAN access, and tweak my wireless settings to be a bit more secure than they are out of the box.

On the topic of ad blockers, I've noticed recently that the animated gif ads on FT were leading to some pretty bad memory consumption issues with Firefox and Chrome. There are plugins that will show the ad, but only the first frame (so that animated gifs won't be played). It's a bit annoying to need to restart the browser or tab when a few ads and the JS code backing the push the browser into an unusable state that consumes 2-3 GB of memory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.