Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Day in the Life of an Air Hostess

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You can laugh all the way to the florists where you can buy flowers for his soon to be funeral.

I will not be present. I would, however, like to know where he is laid as I might feel like dancing one Saturday night.

Drinks were always charged for back then. Food never. I might add that the Economy food was better than some of the First Class slop served now. We used to do a sort of Beef Stroganoff that was simply delicious - so delicious in fact that I got the recipe and still cook it at home.
Do you have a preference as to the flowers, and what's the budget?

Were bassinets really hung from the overhead, as one appears to have been in the video?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:43 pm

I was watching a video on Youtube on the last day of TWA in late 2001 and it featured the FAs talking about their careers and the majority of them had started working with TWA in the mid to late 60s. It makes you wonder if you started working as FA out of school as an 18 year old back in 1965 you'd have reached the retirement age of 65 only in 2012.

I wonder what the longest FA career in BA history has been and when the longest-serving current FA started the job?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The good old days.....when the food was usually a salad and there was hardly room on board to swing a cat. Don't remember having to pay for drink.I was only 4 right enough.

Looks as if the cabin crew had a great time though.....long layovers leapfrogging with the pilots on the beach and getting well paid for it. No wonder the fares back then were extortionate compared to today.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:28 pm

So much to live about that video, from the proper platform bus I used to take to school, the pilots uniform, a rip off of the RAF uniform, the seat pitch and the curtains at the Windows. Lovely way to fly :-)
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:26 pm

Nice to see salad cream was available then. (No irony.)
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm just old enough to remember flying on one of those old propeller planes and how much nicer a jet was. To me, jet engines made all the difference in the world.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Where was Pat's luggage for that trip? She only had a handbag! Interesting how she had to check the stores for the flight and do the washing up.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
And another one specifically looking at Heathrow expansion in 1964. I guess it's always been a problem!
It's shocking that even when they first realised that there was a need to expand to LGW and STN that they didn't earmark more land near LHR for future expansion. Everything near the airport looks so green and empty!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
'And even to Manchester.' Haha!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by AlanA
So much to live about that video, from the proper platform bus I used to take to school,the pilots uniform, a rip off of the RAF uniform,the seat pitch and the curtains at the Windows. Lovely way to fly :-)
Ah, I knew the uniform reminded me of something - RAF tropics! I wonder if they got them cheap as surplus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.