Search

What's your op-up success rate?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire

Just really curious on this one.

I've been Gold since 2003 and have flown 379 BA segments.

I've had 15 op-ups (all on BA), which leads me to a 4% op-up rate.

I'd say that most of my flights are not eligible to op-ups anyway. I didn't calculate the non-eligible flights...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:03 am

My overall is 0.5% and my BA rate is 1%. For BA that is 5 out of 513 flights. And that as a GGL. I think I should complain... ;-)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
0%. But I've only flown 3 shorthaul legs in Y on BA since 2005 so I'm not really surprised at this.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:20 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

About 70%. Gold for 5 years.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Probably less than 1% on BA.
Used to be a lot more when I flew UA, in the days before Global Services of course.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:51 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
These days. Maybe 20% of the time on AA and QF... A bit more on CX, they have actually apologized at least 4-5 times when I've been stuck sitting in the seat I paid for because the cabin is biz cabin is full and they are unable to Upgrade.

In the old days when I used to exclusively fly economy... Once on Emirates, Twice on UA, twice on Aer Lingus, almost 50% of the time on old Continental before it merged and again regularly on BMI. This was when you could charm your way up to the next cabin and knowing people in the airline mattered.

On BA in 5 years only once, and it was an mid flight re-seating in CE courtesy of a flirty male cabin crew.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I would think it would vary significantly based on travel patterns. I would think Golds and GGLs who routinely flew long-haul Y or PE would have much higher rates than those always sitting in J.

I have never been op-up'ed short haul. I once received an op-up from PE to J on LHR-JFK. Note this is the only time I have ever been in longhaul Y or PE when going to the airport - all other times J or F. Never been upgraded J to F though.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There isn't much point in comparing one's op-up rate with someone else's apart from just for curiosity, because it's all very much load dependent (besides the obvious things like people who are always in the highest cabin wouldn't get op-upped), is there, unless it's for someone with almost identical travel profile including routes and days of the week etc?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by sts603
I would think it would vary significantly based on travel patterns. I would think Golds and GGLs who routinely flew long-haul Y or PE would have much higher rates than those always sitting in J.
My opup rate from Y is woeful, less than 1%. The two I have had were on last minute full fare Y tickets on very busy flights.

Otherwise, I've seen a couple of cases of silvers being opupped ahead of me (me as single traveller on high fare bucket, them on discounted tickets) so I really don't think status has much to do with it.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There isn't much point in comparing one's op-up rate with someone else's apart from just for curiosity, because it's all very much load dependent (besides the obvious things like people who are always in the highest cabin wouldn't get op-upped), is there, unless it's for someone with almost identical travel profile including routes and days of the week etc?
Yes pretty much a willy waving exercise.

So as I don't often get the opportunity to wave mine.....twice booked into WT+ and upgraded on both occasions GRU-LHR-YVR.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes pretty much a willy waving exercise.

So as I don't often get the opportunity to wave mine.....twice booked into WT+ and upgraded on both occasions GRU-LHR-YVR.
So that's 25x more than me. That's a much bigger willy than mine!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've done 18 long haul sectors in the last two years, all but two in WTP. I've had two opups, one on CX LHR-HKG and one BA HKG-LHR. Both very welcome and was given the BA one one or two days in advance, so had plenty of time to look forward to it. That's about 11%.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:54 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
My op up rate on long haul was pretty good - probably hovering around 50-60%. But I was a bronze travelling the notorious YYZ route and was usually in WTP so it's not that surprising. Once I discovered FT I became silver and realized I could travel CW for the same price and often there isn't an F cabin on my flights so op ups have been 0% since then. Short haul I have been travelling 2x week since September and have never been op upped.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
As a Silver probably 20% of the time on long haul.
In the 4 years of being Gold, 0%
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
If you're posting a reply it might be good to know your travel pattern as this is another of the variables.

I travel enough to have had a gold card for 3 years out of the last 4 (and came across to BA as Silver when they took over BMI if that matters), but am always around 1600 TPS per year, i.e. a "scraper"

I mostly fly longhaul in J, very occasionally in F. Mostly to / from the US west coast.
Op-up rate J to F on BA - zero in the last 5 years.
AA - zero
QR - one sector out of 6

Shorthaul - mostly in Y.
Op-up rate - zero.

I wonder what my CIV score is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.