Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX QF F lounge vs LHR T5 CCR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by madfish
Perhaps you need to visit them (more) and then you can give a more informed comparison.
Remarkable - someone following up on the frequent throwaway comments that "GC/GF/CCR food is no better than a carvery"

I've seen it all now
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

madfish thank you for taking the time to explain to me those brands. As I said, I only visited Brewers Fayre but it was the reheated type food that I felt was familiar to what is served in the lounges.

The context for the comparison of GF to Toby Carvery is down to my friend. On a recent visit to the T3 GF buffet the gammon was inedible, a fork would not mark it, dried-up, boot leather crap. He joked it was only good as heat shielding which I found very amusing. Considering Toby Carvery is a cheap establishment serving carvery meats he informed me BAs gammon would not pass the muster there, but we are in a proper F class lounge.

It turns out they cook to an inch of its life anyway, and then it stays under a heat lamp for up to an hour, it had been there for 30 mins and was truly awful.

The rice on the ultra-mild jalfrezi was mush, boil in a bag rubbish; we could squash it flat with our forks.

This was at odds with the AA Flagship where we had just visited and which had proper rice on the buffet. I had ordered a freshly cooked pan-fried fillet of seatrout with wilted spinach and pomme mousseline followed by a delicious, light, hot pudding.

So forgive me for wondering why AA provide a better catering experience compared to BA in their home base and with a reputation for really not offering the best.

I don't think BA's First Class lounge food is up to scratch so the comparisons to the brands is a mixture of fact and jest. But I have observed that as long as BA continues its moniker as "Bevvie Airways" then the pax will be happy. I am sometimes one of those pax, of course, but not always. The Lufthansa First Class lounges are always in mind where I think all tastes can be catered for.

Last edited by hugolover; Mar 13, 2016 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:32 am

QF F lounge at LAX is my favourite OW lounge, it is a little 'dark' yes and the drink offering is perhaps not as good as the CCR however the staff are friendly, flexible (let us bring in an elderly second guest) and the menu is great, I recommend the squid.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
At the CCR now.

"Hi, can we have a table for two?"
"Haha... sir, you are 6th in the queue"
Found a seat, sat for 15 mins. No service. Fetched a grand siecle from the bar.
15 mins later, called to the dining room as they now have a table. Shown to table, handed menus. And thats where I remain, a further 10 mins later, unserved...

But, hey, no one else agrees that this happens in the CCR...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Order taken shortly after the above post. No food yet.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by opalfruit
But, hey, no one else agrees that this happens in the CCR...
I'd say I'm in the CCR twice a week on average, and sadly I completely agree with you.

I am sometimes pleasantly surprised, but sadly not that often... and this is coming from a glass-half-full man, trust me!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Food finally came. Full English dreadful, dry and overcooked everything bar the poached egg.

Pancakes were good.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Food finally came. Full English dreadful, dry and overcooked everything bar the poached egg.

Pancakes were good.
They are really struggling today, not enough staff or not the right staff?

I've been sat at the bar, ordered a latte and they forgot! I waited 10 mins and reminded them.

I've also never seen quite so many special services ladies floating about

I really enjoy the QF LAX lounge, the bar men are great fun
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Yeh I just voluntarily left the CCR to go to GF. It is heaving.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:19 am

A good entertaining 'popcorn' thread.

Stand back as people gather into their usual camps.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1

I just want BA to be better.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:52 am

I just want BA to be better.
Better? The only way that will happen is for a major programme of spend/capacity expansion (which is unlikely) or a cull of people entitled to access (which will eventually come).

BA is no different to many airlines on that. The modern problem of stretching a tight budget across the 'entitled'....
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1

What an excellent contribution to the topic. Very helpful indeed ^
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
They are really struggling today, not enough staff or not the right staff?

I've been sat at the bar, ordered a latte and they forgot! I waited 10 mins and reminded them.

I've also never seen quite so many special services ladies floating about

I really enjoy the QF LAX lounge, the bar men are great fun
Not enough I suspect, sadly at Easter things are never likely to be as pleasant as your average Thursday in October.

You can kind of forgive the lounge being overcrowded at properly core peak times, they should really ensure they up staff levels to cope however
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Not enough I suspect, sadly at Easter things are never likely to be as pleasant as your average Thursday in October.

You can kind of forgive the lounge being overcrowded at properly core peak times, they should really ensure they up staff levels to cope however
I agree, I wasn't that bothered, but I did notice it was not as well served as normal. I like the CCR, the dining can be quite excellent.

There was an elderly gentleman who everyone was fawning over, getting his own food prepared and subsequently eating it at the bar. The special services lady looking after him had to almost drag him away telling him he was going to miss his flight. His plate, cup and cutlery were cleared after 10 mins of him leaving. The mess that he left whilst eating remained on the bar when I left 30 mins later. That's not good enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.