B77W and A380 watch: second-hand frames

Old Mar 7, 16, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
Hi there,
So I think you have hit on some interesting ideas.
MEX - again heavy in all classes and could be used but I doubt that the airport can yet handle an A380.
MEX is now A380 compatible. There are two stands that have had the necessary work carried out on them in order to receive the aircraft and there is also now an established taxi routing for it, albeit a bit round the houses. AF have recently started A380 operations to MEX following the retirement of their 744s.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Not HKG, AIUI: Not only is filling Y now a real struggle, with constant promotional activity needed, there is good cargo demand. The 380 has very little cargo capacity; in contrast, the 77W has cargo capacity by the bucketload. So on the basis of what I've heard, I'd be surprised if a second 380 was put on HKG to replace the 77W.
Presumably the struggle with filling Y to HKG is not lack of numbers but the yield. The demand is huge but, like BKK, basically every airline east of London flies there all the usual suspects of course but also a load of smaller players like Ethiopian, Egyptair, Royal Jordanian, Kenya Airways and many more so the competition for Y traffic is simply huge and massively drives down yields.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Hi there,
BOS - there are 2 flights on top of one another now since AA pulled out of the route and BA took over an extra flight. The A380 would work well there (much as it does to IAD).
JNB - South African routes especially in peak season are always rammed in every class so yet could work. The only down side is that the frames are parked in JNB for several hours.
CPT - similarly in peak season CPT could easily handle an A380 as it is a route that is heavy in all classes. However, the airport cannot (yet) handle an A380. There was talk of EK wanting to send an A380 down there which would necessitate changing some of the gates and if that happens it might yet end up there in the South African Summer Season.
HKG - Premium heavy but the issue is that its often quite empty in Y/W which is a problem.
HND - I really don't know if it can take it but suspect if there is the requirement for infrastructure change there will be resistance to try to keep traffic at least in part through NRT.
MEX - again heavy in all classes and could be used but I doubt that the airport can yet handle an A380.
GRU - same as MEX. AF wanted to send an A380 down there but couldn't do it as there is not the infrastructure changes to allow this.
NBO - one of the most profitable routes in the network. Would just fill overnight with an A380 but can you imagine the fun and games - they struggle enough with a 747-400 as it is.......

So I guess the bottom line is that the A380 could be used on quite a few more routes but for a lot of them the infrastructure is not there. This of course will probably change over time (and indeed this was exactly the same issue in the early 70's with the 747-100 where most airports could not cope) but won't be that quick and also for some of these airports they want to at least protect the local carrier a bit and allowing in the A380 with its huge capacity does the exact opposite.......

FD.
Hah, NBO would be hilarious trying to both load and unload an A380... They don't even have to deal with the 744 from BA on that route anymore, the 772s are challenge enough! that's my usual flight so I'd personally LOVE a new aircraft (even a 773 or 787) just for some updated IFE. I think I've had the nicer Thales ONCE on that route...

I'd approve either JNB or CPT - those are my other big routes, but somehow have yet to get onto the A380 flights there...
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:35 am

For clarity BA already flies the A380 to both JNB and HKG. The question there is whether they would go double daily.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi there,
BOS - there are 2 flights on top of one another now since AA pulled out of the route and BA took over an extra flight. The A380 would work well there (much as it does to IAD).
JNB - South African routes especially in peak season are always rammed in every class so yet could work. The only down side is that the frames are parked in JNB for several hours.
CPT - similarly in peak season CPT could easily handle an A380 as it is a route that is heavy in all classes. However, the airport cannot (yet) handle an A380. There was talk of EK wanting to send an A380 down there which would necessitate changing some of the gates and if that happens it might yet end up there in the South African Summer Season.
HKG - Premium heavy but the issue is that its often quite empty in Y/W which is a problem.
HND - I really don't know if it can take it but suspect if there is the requirement for infrastructure change there will be resistance to try to keep traffic at least in part through NRT.
GRU - same as MEX. AF wanted to send an A380 down there but couldn't do it as there is not the infrastructure changes to allow this.
NBO - one of the most profitable routes in the network. Would just fill overnight with an A380 but can you imagine the fun and games - they struggle enough with a 747-400 as it is.......
This points back to my orginal post, about BA taking the p*** with WT prices. If they sold WT seats to HKG/SIN/JNB at reasonable prices than it would be easy to fill an A380.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:43 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by TheSafariMan View Post
Hah, NBO would be hilarious trying to both load and unload an A380... They don't even have to deal with the 744 from BA on that route anymore, the 772s are challenge enough! that's my usual flight so I'd personally LOVE a new aircraft (even a 773 or 787) just for some updated IFE. I think I've had the nicer Thales ONCE on that route...

I'd approve either JNB or CPT - those are my other big routes, but somehow have yet to get onto the A380 flights there...
ACC would be more fun. It was served yesterday by BNLF, with Old First. The gate area was an absolute mess of confused passengers, and BA staff at their wits-end!

I can't say that our boarding gate to MIA was much better, but we were off-stand well before them.
Old Mar 7, 16, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Cape Town was meant to start the new runway and get an A380 gate in time for the end of 2016, but nothing seems to have been done/announced since the completion of the consultation back in May 2015.

http://www.srk.co.za/en/cape-town-in...-alignment-eia

Immigration might not be able to cope with the influx, my BA flight (747) in November arrive early, but the QR (787) and Condor (767) flights were slightly late, and it took 1.5 hours to clear immigration, and I was one of the first off the plane
Old Mar 7, 16, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by escape2sun View Post
Cape Town was meant to start the new runway and get an A380 gate in time for the end of 2016, but nothing seems to have been done/announced since the completion of the consultation back in May 2015.

http://www.srk.co.za/en/cape-town-in...-alignment-eia

Immigration might not be able to cope with the influx, my BA flight (747) in November arrive early, but the QR (787) and Condor (767) flights were slightly late, and it took 1.5 hours to clear immigration, and I was one of the first of the plane
Yeah I don't think they've done much in terms of construction there yet... That's a crazy wait though - always worth booking a VIP meet/assist which will take you through the permit-only line... Basically, contact me for your next safari
Old Mar 7, 16, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Presumably the struggle with filling Y to HKG is not lack of numbers but the yield. The demand is huge but, like BKK, basically every airline east of London flies there all the usual suspects of course but also a load of smaller players like Ethiopian, Egyptair, Royal Jordanian, Kenya Airways and many more so the competition for Y traffic is simply huge and massively drives down yields.
I'm not entirely sure what their issue is. BA are certainly no cheaper to HKG than they are to other nearby locations, but they are having to undercut CX more and more often. They have a poor selection of flight times and a poor product compared to CX which doesn't help. Both flights have gotten quieter in the last few years, not to mention the cancelled BA21/22, whilst CX are filling 5 soon to be 6 aircraft daily.
Old Mar 7, 16, 8:36 am

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a 380 operating to BOS by the end of 2016.

BA would love to put a 380 on the CPT route in peak season, but as suggested above, there needs to be some infrastructure improvements first. I'd guess it'll be 2018 before that happens.

Keep hearing rumours of 3-5 more 380's. We'll have to wait and see what deal IAG can work out...
Old Mar 7, 16, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider View Post
I'd be very surprised if we don't see a 380 operating to BOS by the end of 2016.

BA would love to put a 380 on the CPT route in peak season, but as suggested above, there needs to be some infrastructure improvements first. I'd guess it'll be 2018 before that happens.

Keep hearing rumours of 3-5 more 380's. We'll have to wait and see what deal IAG can work out...
I just dug a bit deeper about CPT, it seems that there were some concerns raised by locals about noise impact, etc., of new runway alignment, so further hearings were held back in November. It looks like construction is slated for about 3 years anyway, so 2018/2019 are definitely more realistic targets.
Old Mar 7, 16, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by TheSafariMan View Post
I just dug a bit deeper about CPT, it seems that there were some concerns raised by locals about noise impact, etc., of new runway alignment, so further hearings were held back in November. It looks like construction is slated for about 3 years anyway, so 2018/2019 are definitely more realistic targets.
It doesn't need a new runway. It ideally needs a turning pad at the south end of the current runway.
Old Mar 7, 16, 9:39 am

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Davidob View Post
Not sure I agree with that, especially as 36% of LHR traffic is in transit to somewhere else.
A lot of people will choose EK or BA when they a forced to connect somewhere, this is for obvious reasons. Many people would choose BA over other airlines to skip a connection if the ultimate destination is London. I don't think its the location of the hub but what is being provided.
Old Mar 7, 16, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
It doesn't need a new runway. It ideally needs a turning pad at the south end of the current runway.
that may be the case, but this is the plan that they'd like to implement:

Old Mar 7, 16, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty View Post
This points back to my orginal post, about BA taking the p*** with WT prices. If they sold WT seats to HKG/SIN/JNB at reasonable prices than it would be easy to fill an A380.
Originally Posted by phol View Post
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I'm not entirely sure what their issue is. BA are certainly no cheaper to HKG than they are to other nearby locations, but they are having to undercut CX more and more often. They have a poor selection of flight times and a poor product compared to CX which doesn't help. Both flights have gotten quieter in the last few years, not to mention the cancelled BA21/22, whilst CX are filling 5 soon to be 6 aircraft daily.
AIUI, I don't think that all of the promotional activity is visible to those of us who look only at published fares.

Search this Thread