B77W and A380 watch: second-hand frames

Old Mar 6, 16, 10:48 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
CX fly A380s?

But, i digress - BA's JFK operation doesn't need bigger planes, T7 is a mess at the best of times.

Try arriving just behind the Aerolineas Argentinas, ANA or Ukrainian Airlines planes!
Apologies.

But, as you note, you get the idea....even a small 747 from where the majority of passengers require attention from the Greatest Country in the World's Finest Men & Women in Uniform fills the immigration hall way up the slope.
Old Mar 7, 16, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Or BOS for that matter.
Thank goodness for my newly interviewed Global Entry !
Old Mar 7, 16, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
BA don't fly to TBS. It's an odd destination to expect them to be competitive on.
Sorry, meant to say Baku, even the ultimate destination is TBS. Same still applies to pricing.
Old Mar 7, 16, 1:17 am

BA could easily fly the A380 to JFK and make it work. Nobody needs 15 minute variations in departure times let's be honest. The frequency argument is overused.

There are many valid reasons why the A380 isn't used to JFK currently; it's a good place to send the 747s (poorer fuel burn matters less on shorter flights, very premium heavy setups), T7 at JFK is not capable of handling A380s, T7 itself is a zoo.
Old Mar 7, 16, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Armodeen View Post
BA could easily fly the A380 to JFK and make it work. Nobody needs 15 minute variations in departure times let's be honest. The frequency argument is overused.

There are many valid reasons why the A380 isn't used to JFK currently; it's a good place to send the 747s (poorer fuel burn matters less on shorter flights, very premium heavy setups), T7 at JFK is not capable of handling A380s, T7 itself is a zoo.
It's on LHR JFK where frequency is more important as more spread out rather than on the night sectors returning.
Old Mar 7, 16, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Or BOS for that matter.
BOS is on the radar to become an A380 route.
Old Mar 7, 16, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by davidrr16 View Post
BOS is on the radar to become an A380 route.
Interesting - is that just normal galley gossip or is there something stronger behind it?

It would make sense and would fit in with BA's targeted use of the A380 whereby they have been able to cut the number of frequencies on certain routes (HKG, LAX etc.) by introducing the A380. A departure time around 5.30pm for the A380 would probably allow them to combine the current 16.40 and 18.20 offerings.

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Mar 7, 16 at 6:07 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 7, 16, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Believe they are just waiting for the infrastructure at BOS to become compatible with A380 operations.
Old Mar 7, 16, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Reminder: JFK T7 does not have an A380 gate. So that is out of the question.
Old Mar 7, 16, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm sure that if BA had a few extra A380's you'd see them on 2x HKG/JNB. HND could also be a possiblity given the slot issue around the airport.

Also no one knows what's happening to MEX when the 747's go.
Old Mar 7, 16, 6:25 am

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Exec, Oman Gold, Starwood, MAS, Emirates, Hilton
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
The main reason why EK can make A380s work is that their base at DXB is at the centre of the traffic routes unlike BA, which based at LHR, is at the end of a route. EK can make more efficient use of their aircraft and crew because of their geographic location.
Not sure I agree with that, especially as 36% of LHR traffic is in transit to somewhere else.
Old Mar 7, 16, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by davidrr16 View Post
BA don't own all of their 77Ws that they currently fly, a few of them are leased and the onboard product is exactly the same.
All of the aircraft were new, so they could easily all be fitted out in exactly the same way regardless of whether they were owned or leased.

It's a bit different if you're taking used aircraft that have already been operating for other airlines. In particular, one of the problems with transferring 380s from one airline is the very high level of customisation that Airbus has allowed.

I see from another thread that fleet inconsistencies have now spread to LCY with the latest (used) 190s having a different seating layout from the new 190s taken directly from Embraer.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty View Post
I'm sure that if BA had a few extra A380's you'd see them on 2x HKG/JNB. HND could also be a possiblity given the slot issue around the airport.

Also no one knows what's happening to MEX when the 747's go.
Hi there,
So I think you have hit on some interesting ideas.
BOS - there are 2 flights on top of one another now since AA pulled out of the route and BA took over an extra flight. The A380 would work well there (much as it does to IAD).
JNB - South African routes especially in peak season are always rammed in every class so yet could work. The only down side is that the frames are parked in JNB for several hours.
CPT - similarly in peak season CPT could easily handle an A380 as it is a route that is heavy in all classes. However, the airport cannot (yet) handle an A380. There was talk of EK wanting to send an A380 down there which would necessitate changing some of the gates and if that happens it might yet end up there in the South African Summer Season.
HKG - Premium heavy but the issue is that its often quite empty in Y/W which is a problem.
HND - I really don't know if it can take it but suspect if there is the requirement for infrastructure change there will be resistance to try to keep traffic at least in part through NRT.
MEX - again heavy in all classes and could be used but I doubt that the airport can yet handle an A380.
GRU - same as MEX. AF wanted to send an A380 down there but couldn't do it as there is not the infrastructure changes to allow this.
NBO - one of the most profitable routes in the network. Would just fill overnight with an A380 but can you imagine the fun and games - they struggle enough with a 747-400 as it is.......

So I guess the bottom line is that the A380 could be used on quite a few more routes but for a lot of them the infrastructure is not there. This of course will probably change over time (and indeed this was exactly the same issue in the early 70's with the 747-100 where most airports could not cope) but won't be that quick and also for some of these airports they want to at least protect the local carrier a bit and allowing in the A380 with its huge capacity does the exact opposite.......

FD.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
Originally Posted by Flaming_Booty View Post
I'm sure that if BA had a few extra A380's you'd see them on 2x HKG/JNB.
HKG - Premium heavy but the issue is that its often quite empty in Y/W which is a problem.
Not HKG, AIUI: Not only is filling Y now a real struggle, with constant promotional activity needed, there is good cargo demand. The 380 has very little cargo capacity; in contrast, the 77W has cargo capacity by the bucketload. So on the basis of what I've heard, I'd be surprised if a second 380 was put on HKG to replace the 77W.
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:17 am

Sounds like a couple of Super-Hi J 77W are needed!

Search this Thread