Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IB Flight Number, Vueling Plane, Leg for Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/OW - Silver/Sapphire; IHG Spire

Hoping anyone knows the answer to this. I searched the forum for a definitive answer and don't see one...

If I buy a ticket on Iberia, with an IB flight number, but the plane is Vueling, will that flight count as one of the legs I need to maintain status? (One of the two for bronze, or one of the four for silver?)

I see on the BA website that an IB flight must be, "'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises)." -->It's the "including franchises" thing that confuses me.

(At that price, you can see I'd like to take this flight )

Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No it won't count. For an IB flight it must be marketed AND operated by IB. For a BA flight it can be marketed or operated by BA.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No it won't count. For an IB flight it must be marketed AND operated by IB. For a BA flight it can be marketed or operated by BA.

But to be clear it does include IB coded flights operated by Iberia Express and Air Nostrum... if I'm not mistaken?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But to be clear it does include IB coded flights operated by Iberia Express and Air Nostrum... if I'm not mistaken?
Yes I believe it does since it states IB franchises are included - so Iberia Express and Air Nostrum and any others.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The cheapest BA flight from FCO to LGW is 53.28€, and there are cheaper fares from Bologna (under 40€). I guess there are some cheap IB prime flights to Spain which will also be cost effective.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by gldfinger
Hoping anyone knows the answer to this. I searched the forum for a definitive answer and don't see one...

If I buy a ticket on Iberia, with an IB flight number, but the plane is Vueling, will that flight count as one of the legs I need to maintain status? (One of the two for bronze, or one of the four for silver?)

I see on the BA website that an IB flight must be, "'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises)." -->It's the "including franchises" thing that confuses me.

(At that price, you can see I'd like to take this flight )

Bumping an old thread, is there a definite answer to this? I gotta make 4 legs for gold and not sure. Do Vueling flights with IB number count for status?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Bumping an old thread, is there a definite answer to this? I gotta make 4 legs for gold and not sure. Do Vueling flights with IB number count for status?
In the example given, definitely not, it's not IB operated nor an IB dedicated service using Vueling (if that still happens). If you can buy the same flight on Vueling own website then it won't count for Eligible Flights, unless it is booked under BA coding (and probably via BA.com).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:11 pm

Just to emphasise that eligible flights that count towards the four needed can be either marketed or operated by BA, or they must be marketed and operated by IB. In the above example it is IB marketed but not IB operated so wouldn't count.

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

-'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
-'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
-'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:54 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just to give an actual real experience on the IB (including franchises) rule for BA silver and gold. Last year I only took 2 BA flights and 2 Iberia express flights (On IB codes) and they counted towards status, as they should.
mlqsko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.