T5 Flounge sweltering again

Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Yesterday (Wednesday) the lady who checked me in felt it was too cold (as usual in winter, she said). It was not warm, to be sure, landside.

Airside in GF it was much warmer, as well as the airside area near the B/C gate escalators.

T5 is usually too hot, but in this case it was too hot on the airside only.

As to some people liking it hot: if you're too cold you can insulate yourself more to be comfortable, if you're hot you can't remove more insulation (without being arrested) when you're down to one layer of clothes. So the best temperature for a space shared by many is something like the 10th or 25th percentile of preferred temperature.

HIDDY, you're old, you must be used to wearing a jumper by now.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC
When it gets hot in GF you HAVE to let them know - spend 5 mins talking to the ladies in the GS office (rather than posting here!!). By their own admission, their little space tends to be much cooler than the main seating area and if no one TELLS them that it's uncomfortable, they simply don't know.

Just tell them your area is too hot - they will walk back with you to your seat and check. The more people do this, the more likely the heating issues will be sorted out.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
When it gets hot in GF you HAVE to let them know - spend 5 mins talking to the ladies in the GS office (rather than posting here!!). By their own admission, their little space tends to be much cooler than the main seating area and if no one TELLS them that it's uncomfortable, they simply don't know.
Don't the lounge staff proactively check what is happening occasionally, or is it out of sight, out of mind?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1
Don't the lounge staff proactively check what is happening occasionally, or is it out of sight, out of mind?
I honestly don't know the answer to that - the last time I found it too warm and humid I went and found the duty manager (no idea if that is her job title) She was genuinely surprised by my comment and walked back with me to where I was sat. She said that she had no idea it got so hot and that it was so different from where their small office area is located and that no one had mentioned it so far - which again surprised her.

They may well patrol frequently - but only act if people complain (assuming that everyone is comfortable if nothing is said?)

I just think that if you are genuinely uncomfortable you need to say something there and then.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:20 am

I agree the terminal staff should be noticing this and feeding it back
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
In my humble opinion, LHR is ALWAYS overheated.

I live in the desert. I get enough heat here. (Hottest February in SoCal ever. Temps in the 80s and 90s.) I go to Europe to enjoy cooler weather, but first I have to go through overheated LHR.
And the flip side of that is I go to the US to get some hot weather and spend a great deal of time freezing to death - in US airports + airplanes, shops, restaurants etc, etc. Americans love their air conditioning, but constantly going from the heat to refrigerated buildings can't be healthy!

Last edited by headingwest; Mar 3, 2016 at 4:24 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Don't complain about the best airport (size/region). Pax love it!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/02/av...ref=rss_travel
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Don't complain about the best airport (size/region). Pax love it!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/02/av...ref=rss_travel
#

The world's favourite airline and the best airport. What could be better. Clearly a winner......

......in the b/s stakes.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
I honestly don't know the answer to that - the last time I found it too warm and humid I went and found the duty manager (no idea if that is her job title) She was genuinely surprised by my comment and walked back with me to where I was sat. She said that she had no idea it got so hot and that it was so different from where their small office area is located and that no one had mentioned it so far - which again surprised her.

They may well patrol frequently - but only act if people complain (assuming that everyone is comfortable if nothing is said?)

I just think that if you are genuinely uncomfortable you need to say something there and then.
Yep that's my point.

Of course you should speak up, but not everyone can be bothered to dig out the DM. In fact I would argue a good duty manager should be actively walking around engaging with customers not holed up in an office area.

You know the stuff....good morning, how are you, is everything OK, finding it too warm/cold.

If the DM had no idea it got so hot it sounds like that isn't happening much.

Basic Noddy stuff really.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flatlander
HIDDY, you're old, you must be used to wearing a jumper by now.
I haven't worn a jumper since November. ^

I find most airports warm and stuffy. Not sure if it's the actual air temperature or just me heating up with all the stresses of travelling....all the walking and having to lug cabin bags doesn't help either.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by headingwest
And the flip side of that is I go to the US to get some hot weather and spend a great deal of time freezing to death - in US airports + airplanes, shops, restaurants etc, etc. Americans love their air conditioning, but constantly going from the heat to refrigerated buildings can't be healthy!
^

It was ridiculous when I worked in Houston. Virtually everyone in the bars wore jumpers, even in the middle of summer.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by headingwest
I love my Air Conditioning. It's totally healthy to sit in Air Conditioned comfort when it's 110 outside.

Also love lots of ice in my drink.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:45 pm

There's been a few time, going through Heathrow, that I actually asked myself "Have I started menopause... today?".

It's that hot.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
^

It was ridiculous when I worked in Houston. Virtually everyone in the bars wore jumpers, even in the middle of summer.
You do know, don't you, that "jumper" has quite a different meaning in American English.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
You do know, don't you, that "jumper" has quite a different meaning in American English.
No I didn't, but I guess you are going to have to tell me now

I know that americans get a little confused and flustered when we rub out pencil marks using a rubber ... so what on earth can a cardigan do for them

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.