Search

Air Berlin not honoring BA Sapphire Status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:49 am
formerly frankdjs
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold
Air Berlin not honoring BA Sapphire Status

Hello, I have an award booking in Economy from LAX to PMI via DUS.
Trying to reserve seats, I was advised by the AB agent that OneWorld Sapphire customers are not entitled to pick seats for free on AB long-haul and are also not allowed to check a second bag for free.

Is this correct? What is everyone else's experience with AB and OW status?

Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:07 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
No experience of AB but dependant if luggage allowance is weight or piece is dependant on the extra OWS allowance which is either 15kg (weight) or 1 extra bag max 23kg (piece).

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:08 am

They let me reserve seats by phone 18 months ago. AA platinum.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've reserved seats on AB awards as OW Sapphire on more than 1 occasion. Most recently about a year ago.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
AB has changed its seating policy recently, but you should still be able to select seats, albeit only standard seats now for OW status passengers (non-Topbonus). They seem to allow selection of other seats when checking in online.

As for luggage, they should give you extra baggage allowance. I suspect the agent didn't exactly know the rules.

More details on seating here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...ng-policy.html
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
What does your BA confirmation say about bags: if I do a dummy booking on ba.com it says 2 bags, which is what ab.com says is standard on all but their most restrictive fares.

https://topbonus.airberlin.com/web/tb/freigepack

On that basis, oneworld rules won't give you a third bag so your status isn't the driver here. For their own Golds (OWS) they up the limit to 32kg per bag, but that's not necessarily a OWS benefit.

If your reservation says 2 bags, then I can't see you being denied 2x23kg at check-in.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Does AB not have an online seat map you can try? What does it allow you to do?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Just a ignorant question...

So far (on OW) I have been able to take advantage of my OWE status and have free exit seats etc. It seems that in the OW alliance, these benefits are across all airlines.

In Skyteam this is by no means the case. Being a 'premium elite' at airline X does not provide the benefits at airline Y. No free seat selection for instance.

Lounge access seems to work but that's about it.

Am I correct that within OW the Emerald benefits always apply?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:24 am
s4t

Programs: BA Gold
I'm BA Gold and fly AB regularly. I have never been able to select seats in advance for free - not until T-30 when they become generally available.

I once called their customer service and they informed me OWE can reserve seats from row 16 and above. Whether that's true or not I don't know.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:26 am

Had a flight with them last week:
  • You can't select seats online.
  • On the phone they will asign non-preferred seats (for me that was anything beyond row 13 on an A320) when you tell them about your OW status (in my case OWE/BA GGL). This is different from my last flight the year before, where I was able to reserve seats in row 1.
  • At check in you are free to pick any seat and I was able to move to 1A.
  • Seat blocking still seems to work (1B stayed empty despite a reasonably full flight).
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Had a flight with them last week:
  • You can't select seats online.
  • On the phone they will asign non-preferred seats (for me that was anything beyond row 13 on an A320) when you tell them about your OW status (in my case OWE/BA GGL). This is different from my last flight the year before, where I was able to reserve seats in row 1.
  • At check in you are free to pick any seat and I was able to move to 1A.
  • Seat blocking still seems to work (1B stayed empty despite a reasonably full flight).
This is similar to my experience a couple of weeks ago SZG-HAM - I had to phone up to reserve anything. However, at OLCI there was no seat selection possible (all occupied/blocked) despite the plane being lightly loaded.

Found their soft product quite good. Nice to get a snack and soft drink on board in Y after flying SK and AY...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s4t
I'm BA Gold and fly AB regularly. I have never been able to select seats in advance for free - not until T-30 when they become generally available.

I once called their customer service and they informed me OWE can reserve seats from row 16 and above. Whether that's true or not I don't know.
You used to be able to select seats, but you had to call up, as their website is worse than BA's (yes, it's really true!!).

They changed the policy recently, so that OW elites can only book the rows behind the exit row seats...but you're able to choose anywhere in the cabin at check-in.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Free seat selection is not a guaranteed benefit of Sapphire: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Note the 'where offered' caveat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.