Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Give a thought to us poor peeps in the regions, we have the same price differential with none of the flexibility
Do you not get the same day flight change on the CBI? That sounds very unfair indeed!

Incidentally, my "other" thought is that many of my BA flights are not O/D but connecting and those seem to have very significantly increased without any added flexibility either. It seems that BA is even more uninterested in taking people on connecting flights within Europe (including UK regions) than before.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Currently seeing a Ł91 difference between HBO and checked baggage fares between EDI-LHR.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:56 pm

Goodness me - another well implemented change.

Just tried to do my first on the day FOC change. Rang the USA line and got through to an agent in the UK based.

Me: I'd like to change a flight booked for today. Should be a change under the new free on the day changes.
Agent: Okay. [Goes away to look at the fare rules, 10 minute hold]. Sir, only fully flex is available, will have to reprice. Reads out fare rules about prior to departure changes requiring repricing.
Me: No this is an on the day change under the new fare structure.

Repeat 3 or 4 times over 15 minutes

Me: Quoting the travel trade website, something along the lines of its not specified in the fare rules due to the special process
Agent: goes away and checks with a duty manager [15 minute hold]. Sorry Sir, duty manager agrees, will be a reprice. Rules are on the day no change fee, prior to day Ł60
Me: But I've already changed it once for free - that's the new rules.
Agent: oh. I don't understand.
Me: please can you just look at the travel trade website

55 minutes pass.
Agent: Okay so I re-opened the booking and it now showed the free on the day change but it fails when I try and action it. so i've sent it for manual ticketing and it will be done hopefully at 7.30am when they open

Well done BA.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:16 pm

Interesting follow up from my last post.

So even though there wasn't a ticket number in the booking and I could not OLCI, I was able to request a free of charge change on the day through the website.

I requested a change to an earlier flight and it went through successfully. I then changed back to the later one that I had tried to move onto and again it moved successfully. This had caused the ticket to be reissued and was able to be checked in. I'm still booked in Y too from where the agent had reserved it manually on the phone so hopefully lounge access!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One problem is they didn't put the free change on the day provision in the fare rules ...!

Apparently that would be too complicated to write.

They could have just copied and pasted what American Airlines says in their rules ....
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
One problem is they didn't put the free change on the day provision in the fare rules ...!

Apparently that would be too complicated to write.
BA have only had semi-flex tickets for over two years so it takes them time to figure out how to write it up in the fare rules!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:08 pm

Can I try to clarify how the "free on the day change" works on the new CBI fares?

1) Am I understanding correctly that there is never a fee to change the flight as long as it is on the same day, but that fare difference is charged if the change is made in advance but not if it is made "on the day"?

2) If 1) is correct, does it mean that I can change for free at any time as long as there is availability in the same bucket/fare?

3) Still if 1) is correct, how is "on the day" conceived? Does it mean within 24 hours, or is it on the same calendar day from midnight or some other time, in which case if your original flight is very early apart from doing the change online and hoping it works do you just call GGL or whatever service centre is opened?

Or is 1) incorrect anyway, in which case I would certainly be most grateful for a kind soul telling me what the reality of those free changes actually is!! Many thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I believe all are correct - and on the day means just that, so yes your scenario applies.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Can I try to clarify how the "free on the day change" works on the new CBI fares?

1) Am I understanding correctly that there is never a fee to change the flight as long as it is on the same day, but that fare difference is charged if the change is made in advance but not if it is made "on the day"?

2) If 1) is correct, does it mean that I can change for free at any time as long as there is availability in the same bucket/fare?

3) Still if 1) is correct, how is "on the day" conceived? Does it mean within 24 hours, or is it on the same calendar day from midnight or some other time, in which case if your original flight is very early apart from doing the change online and hoping it works do you just call GGL or whatever service centre is opened?

Or is 1) incorrect anyway, in which case I would certainly be most grateful for a kind soul telling me what the reality of those free changes actually is!! Many thanks in advance!
Here is the official advice from BA Travel Trade.

I don't think "on the same day" has any special meaning; i.e., it means, the change must be made on the same calendar day. There are very few shorthaul flights that depart shortly after midnight and I suspect most of those are not carrying flex passengers; ergo, you may, in that circumstance, be out of luck.
Changes on the day

Flights can be changed on the same day for free to an early or later available flight. The customer’s original flight and the flight they change to; must both be within 00:00 and 23:59 local time of the departure airport. At least 1 hour’s notice must be given prior to the scheduled departure time.

The routing (origin and destination airports) must remain unchanged. Routing or date changes made on the original day of departure may incur fare and/or tax differences, as usual.

Changes are subject to availability on the new flight in the same cabin as the original flight. Free changes on the day are only available to With Checked Bag customers (fare basis code identifier V2) and Fully Flex customers (fare basis code identifier V3) travelling on Shorthaul or Domestic point-to-point routes. Free change on day is not available on open jaw journeys (eg PAR-LHR-AMS)

Free changes on day are not specified on the fare rules in your GDS, due to the special conditions and process.

Process

Make a new booking in the same cabin on the new flight. If the original booking class is not available, book into Y or J class. Do not remove the originally booked sector.
Add the appropriate SK or OSI keyword (as per GDS entries below) This will generate automatically a message to our queue. We will force book into the original fare class and revalidate the ticket. The booking status will change to KK.
An SSR message will be generated back to the agent to confirm.

Cancellations

If you queue the booking to our robot to make free change to a With Checked Bag or Fully Flex booking, you should NEVER cancel the original segment that is being changed. This is required so that the free change on the day process can identify the original flight and the original booking class. Once the BA robot completes the change the original segment will automatically be removed so that the itinerary matches the newly revalidated ticket.

If a customer wishes to make a change on the day after checking in, you must enter the appropriate keyword to offload the customer from the flight. Find out more

Once you have received confirmation from us that the customer has been offloaded, you can follow the process above. Alternatively the customer can make the change at the airport. If the customer has checked in a bag, the change must be made at the airport.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...orthaul-fares#
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:59 am

Thanks both! Indeed, not many (if any?) flights departing just after midnight, I was more thinking of flights that leave at 6 or 7 am and where if it had been possible, one would prefer to be able to change the evening before rather than stay awake till midnight or wake up at 4am anyway to action the change!

In fairness, however, I knew that it was unlikely that same day would mean before 24 hours. I was just hoping!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Doing a dummy booking the standard flight option comes up with a O and Q fare. Would like to book a different bucket but the only option given is fully flex which drives the price significantly. Is there any way to force from say an O fare to a K fare?

Just to elaborate:

Eco lowest can be booked
Eco low cannot be booked
Eco flex can be booked

There is a jump of over Ł600 from lowest to flex !!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Doing a dummy booking the standard flight option comes up with a O and Q fare. Would like to book a different bucket but the only option given is fully flex which drives the price significantly. Is there any way to force from say an O fare to a K fare?

Just to elaborate:

Eco lowest can be booked
Eco low cannot be booked
Eco flex can be booked

There is a jump of over Ł600 from lowest to flex !!
If you call our good friends at the contact centre they should be able to facilitate this no problem, provided the specific bucket you request is available. Unfortunatley, you can't opt for a specific fare bucket online, although there is usually an option to upgrade segments to semi flex /fully flex before purchase.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic

From midnight on the day of the flight you can go on to MMB and change for free your booking to any flight on the same route/same day that is still on sale
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
From midnight on the day of the flight you can go on to MMB and change for free your booking to any flight on the same route/same day that is still on sale
Thanks for confirming!!!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member

On domestic routes, the 'Plus Flex' fare will be branded 'Business UK' and include access to BA lounges and priority boarding.

The benefits associated with each fare are:

Basic:

Standard hand baggage allowance (no checked baggage allowance)
Seating allocated at check-in or paid for seat selection
Flight changes can be made for a fee plus any difference in fare

Plus:

Includes a 23kg checked baggage allowance, plus the standard hand baggage allowance
Free seat selection from 48 hours prior to departure
Free flight changes on the day of departure, up to one hour before scheduled flight time
No change fees (a fare difference may apply if flight is changed before day of departure)

Plus Flex:

Fully refundable
Includes a 23kg checked baggage allowance, plus the standard hand baggage allowance
Free seat selection at time of booking
Free flight changes on the day of departure, up to one hour before scheduled flight time
No change fees (a fare difference may apply if flight is changed before day of departure)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.